Originally Posted by Ragitsu
Originally Posted by GM4Him
But again, just because some art shows elves looking that way, it doesn't actually mean that's how all elves are.

The very first example from the AD&D Player's Handbook (way back in the late 1970s) ->

[Linked Image from panzerleader.files.wordpress.com]

The Elf is significantly shorter and slimmer than the Human; the Elf features pointed ears and almond eyes (they're not blatant, but they are there).

Bottom line: you can point to pieces which were comparatively lazier attempts (e.g., Elves as Humans or Drow as African-Americans/standard old men) and I'll agree that they exist, but to argue that there wasn't a collective baseline representation over the years of Elves that looked properly otherworldly/sylvan is disingenuous.

Ok. That's a good example. Like I said, I've always thought of them as traditionally that way, but there are many things that I've thought were a certain way only to discover that they were not. Someone told me they were that way, and I believed it and ran with it.

I will add to your comment about Laurana and Elmore and point out the image of Laurana in front of Tekisis.

https://www.google.com/search?q=laurana+dragonlance&prmd=insv&sxsrf=ALiCzsaCu37J0jRi9pe2AOhsSIqUUZHjcQ:1662664500586&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj6_7_384X6AhVAGTQIHTaDAjEQ_AUoAXoECAIQAQ&biw=432&bih=812&dpr=2.5#imgrc=faTDi1FQf2KRHM&lnspr=W10=

She looks much more Elven in that image.

Last edited by GM4Him; 08/09/22 07:16 PM.