Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
addict
OP Offline
addict
A user-created FAQ, about both the Early Access phase of the game and the features the game will have when it releases in full.

EARLY ACCESS

When will the full game be released ?

In 2023. Source : Panel From Hell 5 (Patch 7), at 1:39:30. It is also said in this video interview.

Strictly speaking, 2023 means between the 1st January and the 31st December. Since Larian was previously aiming to finish in 2022, and since they announced in February 2022 having about one year left, it might be more likely to be in the first half. Then again, Larian was late on Early Access release and spent longer than planned in Early Access, so maybe it will be the second half or later, who knows.

Will I have to buy the game again on release, if I buy it during Early Access ?

No. If you pre-order now, you will get the game upon release. Until then, you can already access an early version of it. Source : official FAQ.

How much of the story is available in Early Access ?

Only Act 1. Source : official FAQ.

Larian wants players to have a fresh experience when the game releases, so they keep a lot of content out of EA. This includes in particular the bulk of the story. In fact, only a part of Act 1 is available. Also, the Act 1 of v1.0 will be somewhat different from that of the EA version, as Swen suggested in this Destructoid interview. Acts 2 and 3 will not be available in Early Access, as Swen reiterated that in this Eurogamer interview.

Is it worth getting into BG3 now ?

If you want a smooth experience : no, the current version is far from polished and still full of bugs. If you just want to experience the full story and don't mind the lack of polish : no, the full story is not available yet. If you want to give feedback and (perhaps, potentially) help improve the game, you can. Naturally, with every passing day, feedback will probably less and less sought by Larian, but as of right now, it's still sought.

Will my saves carry over when the full game releases ?

No. Source : official FAQ. In fact, saves become incompatible every time a new Patch releases.

Level Cap : what will it be during Early Access ?

Level 4. Source : official FAQ.

However, in Panel From Hell 3 (Patch 5), at 52:27, Swen said the jury was still out on that and that maybe they would put Level 5 in EA.

What Races and Classes will be available in Early Access ?

The EA version currently has Gnomes, Dwarves, Halflings, Humans, Elves, Half-Elves, Tieflings, and Githyankis. The remaining Races from the PHB are Half-Orcs and Dragonborns.

The EA version currently has Fighters, Barbarian, Rangers, Rogues, Clerics, Druids, Wizards, Sorcerers, Warlocks, and Bards. The remaining Classes from the PHB are Paladins and Monks.

Larian did not say whether or not the remaining Races and Classes would appear in Early Access. As they want to make version 1.0 feel fresh, it is very possible that they will keep at least one Race or Class out of Early Access.

How are player data used ? Can I opt out ?

Larian stated that they only collect data anonymously. As for how exactly they use telemetry, we've heard them talk about how they can track death locations, save/load locations, skill usage, item usage, chosen dialogue options, etc. [Find link to an interview]. But not much more.

If you want to opt out of data gathering when you play, you can disable this in the Larian launcher. Source : official FAQ

Where should I send my feedback : Larian form, official forums, Discord, Reddit, Steam ?

In principle, any of the above. Larian keeps some ears out to hear what the players say, but they never said how they do it, what place is monitored more, or what type of feedback is easier for them to process. The feedback form linked to in the Larian launcher is often the recommended option though. This forum has a Feedback & Suggestions section, Discord has a #bg3-feedback channel, and Reddit has Feedback Friday threads (I guess the Steam forum isn't the best place to post).

Is feedback still sought ? What kind of feedback ? How to make my feedback more useful ?

Larian announced in Panel From Hell 6 (Patch 8), at 1:26:47, that they are in the final stretch and the game is getting feature-complete. However, feedback is still sought. This is further confirmed by one of the Community Managers while describing her tasks.

The Early Access is mainly for community feedback on systems. Larian has a "large army of testers" internally, and the Early Access is not its testing ground for QA (Quality Assurance), which typically covers bugs. Source : Destructoid interview.

Advice on how to give feedback can be found in this Reddit post, from someone working in another video game company, as well as in this forum post, from Larian CM.

That being said, since the release of Patch 8, there has been a list of known issues and bugs maintained on the official forums. It is probably a good idea to look it up before reporting a bug. This post is also worth reading.

STORY AND CONTENT

How long will it take to play through the game ?

Larian announced that this would probably be a 80-hour long game. [Can't remember where. Find Source.]

However, for context, Larian announced that the EA content was probably 25h of gameplay. Source : official FAQ. But many players would say it rather takes 30-40h to complete the EA content, at least on a first playthrough. So the full game may end up taking 100h on a first playthrough.

Are there story links with BG1&2 ?

Yes. Most of these links are not visible in Act 1 and Early Access, but the story is meant to be connected to the previous games in meaningful ways. Source : official FAQ.

In this Techradar interview Swen also talks about the story hitting the same themes (e.g. the temptation of power).

On top of that, the story is also connected to the tabletop campaign Descent Into Avernus. [Find link to an interview].

Finally, in the Early Access version, we can already find small references to BG1&2, through lore books.

How closely must Larian stick to the lore and rules of D&D ?

Larian said they more or less have carte blanche. Sources : RPG Site interview, Eurogamer interview, Wireframe interview.

Larian reported that WotC asked Larian to not use alignments in BG3 [Source : can't remember. Find it.] But apart from this particular feature, it seems that there are few requests from WotC to make things a certain way, and not many green-lighting requests from Larian.

TECHNICAL FEATURES, PLAYER SETTINGS AND RULES

Level cap : what will it be in the full release version ?

Strictly more than 10. Larian's initial announcement was that the game would go up to Level 10. [Find Source.] However, in a later communication, they said they would need to raise the Level cap. [Find Source.]

There has been no indication of what the currently-planned Level cap is. Players often speculate that it will be between 11 and 14, but there is no official information on this.

Will the Custom Characters be voice-acted ?

Yes. Larian said they'd have full voice acting, just like the Origin Characters. Source : Reddit AMA.

But it is not clear whether this mean voicing every dialogue option the player can select, or just some scenes where the Custom Character speaks outside of the player's control.

Difficulty options : will there be some ? How granular will they be ?

Yes, there will be difficulty options. Source : official FAQ.

As for what these difficulty options would look like exactly, I don't think Larian said anything about this. It might be anything from just a global easy/medium/hard parameter, to a list of parameters that players can adjust independently like in other CRPGs derived from a tabletop RPG.

Will there be a Day/Night Cycle ?

Technically, and as far as I know, Larian not has really explicitly confirmed that there won't be a Day/Night cycle in BG3. But in an interview, Adam Smith (senior writer) said "We don't do the day-night cycle". So I would expect the answer to be no. Source : WCCFTech interview.

Will there be a Real-Time With Pause mode ?

No. This was explicitly confirmed in this Destructoid interview.

Are Reactions being worked on ?

Yes. In Panel From Hell 3 (Patch 5), at 53:00, Swen said that Reactions are "certainly something that [they]'re going to be extending". More recently, a Community Manager confirmed, in this forum post, that Reactions are "being explored internally".

PARTY AND COMPANIONS

Party. Will it be possible to play with a party of more than 4 adventurers ?

Most likely not. In this video interview, at 24:40, Swen explained that the Max Party Size will be 4. It will be possible to increase it to 6 with mods, but it will be 4 only in the game.

Party. Will there be the possibility to create a party of 4 Custom Player Characters ?

Yes. Source : Reddit AMA.

Companions. How many will there be ?

Unknown.

The number of 8 companions is the one that keeps coming back in the community. [Swen may have mentioned this number in one of the first video communications, around February-August 2020. Or it's only derived from the data-mining done on the early patches, which found 3 NPC meant to be companions. Look it up.]

Companions. Will they all be Origins Characters ?

It looks as if this will be the case, yes.

Larian said they are "trying to make all characters with backstory available as origin characters". Source : Reddit AMA.

Companions. Will it be possible to change the Class of Origin Characters ?

Yes. Source : official FAQ.

Mercenaries. How will they work ? What does Larian mean by Mercenaries ?

Unclear. To the best of my knowledge, all we know is that there will be a mechanics/feature called "Mercenary". What this term implies exactly is unknown.

Party and companions. Will we have to settle on a party composition after Act 1 ?

Yes. Source : official FAQ.

CHARACTER CREATION AND CUSTOMISATION

Starting Ability Scores. Will we be able to roll for them, or freely assign them ?

Rolling and Point Buy will be available. Source : official FAQ.

Larian said they would implement 2 or 3 ways of determining your starting Ability Scores, so they might allow Free Allocation as well, or variants of Rolling and Point Buy. Source : Twinfinite interview.

Will there be all the PHB content ? Will there be content from other books ?

Larian said that they would have all the PHB classes, and that they are generally using the PHB, DMG and MM as base (these books form, basically, the Base Game of D&D 5E), although they allow themselves the option to include material from other books. Source : Reddit AMA. Then, somewhere else [maybe in PFH3 (Patch 5), I think, find Source] Swen said that they aim to implement the full range of options from the PHB.

If something is in the PHB, you should expect to see it in the game. Although Larian merely aims to implement the full PHB. Some things might be left out. In fact, it is quite likely that some Spells or Feats will be.

If something is not the in PHB, nothing prevents Larian from adding it anyway (for instance, they added the Githyanki Race from Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes). But you should probably not expect to see a given particular option from of a complement book (like Xanathar's Guide To Everything or Tasha's Cauldron Of Everything, basically the Expansions of D&D 5E) to be implemented.

Player options. Will multi-classing be available ?

Yes. Source : Reddit AMA.

In PFH 3 (Patch 5), at 52:38, Swen reconfirmed the feature. It may be made available in late EA, but maybe not. Either way, it will be in the game.

META

Can I trust the information in this Unofficial FAQ ?

Yes and no.

On the one hand, as much as possible, I have given links to the source where Larian made the relevant statements (sometimes, this referencing is incomplete : please let me know if you recall where something was said, or find mistakes). The speculative parts should be easy to identify.

On the other hand, Larian may have made some announcements in the past, and have then changed their minds. In some cases, this change is clear from playing the EA version (e.g. past tense narration), or the change was discussed (e.g. party-based initiative). In some cases, it is unclear if the announced feature will be implemented as announced (e.g. Long Rest impossible in dangerous areas). In some cases, changes may have been decided but not communicated. I would guess that, without further information, it is probably safer to bet your money on a particular feature being implemented in the form it was announced to take, rather that in one of the many forms it was not announced to take.

Additional notes.

• As you can see, the referencing is not complete at the moment. I have marked the things for which I still need to find the place(s) where they were said. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
  • Also, let me know if you can think of other questions about how BG3 will be like, for which Larian has made an announcement, or which are recurring. I might add them to the list (or not, it will depend and I will see, no promise here).

Last edited by Drath Malorn; 14/09/22 02:13 AM.
veteran
veteran
Good topic ... however there is single minor misstake (so far, i didnt read it whole yet)

Originally Posted by Drath Malorn
However, in Panel From Hell 3 (Patch 5), at 52:27, Swen said the jury was still out on that and that maybe they would put Level 5 in EA.
As you can see (i was going to write hear ... but i really cant hear anything from there, so i had to turn subtittles on and see ... is is so awfully silent for everyone or is that some misstake on my side?) in that video you linked Swen said "in the Act 1" ... not "in EA".

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
veteran
veteran
Found another slight misstake:
Player options. Will multi-classing be available ?

Yes. But likely not in Early Access. Source : Reddit AMA.
NickP said: "is not going to be available in Early Access at launch, we're planning to add it later."

Also i faintly remember Swen mentioning it in some PFH ...
I believe his words were something like "we were going to introduce multiclass when all our classes will be done, but we might just change our mind about that one" ... but dont quote me, i shall provide source once i find it.

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 13/09/22 06:32 PM.

addict
addict
Thank you for this very helpful post smile

Also, the Act 1 of v1.0 will be somewhat different from that of the EA version[...]
A good think to keep in mind. Especially for those who feel like some paths/quests are not fleshed out enough.

If you want a smooth experience : no, the current version is far from polished and still full of bugs. If you just want to experience the story and don't mind the lack of polish : no, see previous question.

I'm just going to note that it's still possible to enjoy an incomplete story. I mean...I did just that for 500+ hours of play time.
But it is indeed important to keep in mind that the story is incomplete and the game still need polishing.

addict
OP Offline
addict
Thanks for the checks, RagnarokCzD. Let me know if you find more, or remember where some other things were said.

Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
As you can see (i was going to write hear ... but i really cant hear anything from there, so i had to turn subtittles on and see ... is is so awfully silent for everyone or is that some misstake on my side?) in that video you linked Swen said "in the Act 1" ... not "in EA".

Strictly speaking, yes. In the PFH Swen indeed says "[...] whether or not we're gonna put Level 5 in Act 1", not "in EA". Given the context (people having asked for Level 5 in EA for a while, people asking in the twitch chat during an EA promotional event), I feel it's relatively safe to assume he meant EA, not the full game's Act 1.

NickP said: "is not going to be available in Early Access at launch, we're planning to add it later."

Also i faintly remember Swen mentioning it in some PFH ...
I believe his words were something like "we were going to introduce multiclass when all our classes will be done, but we might just change our mind about that one" ... but dont quote me, i shall provide source once i find it.

Oh, worry not, I wasn't about to quote you from the top of your mind. But since you remembered enough of where it was said, I found it. It's in the same PFH, during the twitch chat segment. And in fact, immediately after the level 5 topic.

So what we know is that, during the linked AMA, Larian announced that multiclassing would not be available at the start of EA, but would come "later". In PFH 3 (Patch 5), at 52:38, Swen reconfirmed the feature, and said it would be most likely be late during EA. But he also said he wanted all the classes to be available first. Now, many conjecture that at least one class could be kept for full release. And Swen said they'd maybe change their mind. So, maybe multiclassing will arrive in late EA indeed. Or maybe it will only be available in v1.0. Either way, it will be in the game, which is what I was really after. So I've rephrased this section.

Originally Posted by MelivySilverRoot
Thank you for this very helpful post smile

Also, the Act 1 of v1.0 will be somewhat different from that of the EA version[...]

A good think to keep in mind. Especially for those who feel like some paths/quests are not fleshed out enough.

In my view, it's mostly something to keep in mind in order to keep some hope that the story will be a lot less lacklustre in the full game. But since Larian has not made any comment on a specific issue with the Act 1 story (e.g. "the evil path sucks", about which they could have commented "we've received feedback on this issue, we've expanded/rewritten it, but we're keeping the change for the full game"), players should still provide feedback on the story.

Originally Posted by MelivySilverRoot
[color:#FFCC00If you just want to experience the story and don't mind the lack of polish : no, see previous question.
I'm just going to note that it's still possible to enjoy an incomplete story. I mean...I did just that for 500+ hours of play time.

Ah ... yes. Certainly. By "the story" I meant the full story, but hey. I've rephrased this section a bit.

veteran
veteran
Can you imagine how many duplicate new topics and tangents and arguments might have been avoided if something like this was just posted a year and a half ago by a Dev or Dev liaison? And then just pinned and bumped every month hehe. For real!

Anyhow thanks for this Drath!

Your threads are always insightful, pretty comprehensive and easy to follow.

Obviously I'm disappointed with some of their decisions and the finality with which they seemed to arrive at them. Pretty early on as it seems based on many of the interviews cited, and really before even gathering much EA feedback on what players might prefer. I can't fault them for making the game they want to make, rather than the one I want them to make, but still, I have some definite unfulfilled wishes on this one.

Some things I can think of not directly addressed would fall into a category more like Platform, Controls, or general UI I suppose. Or I guess to go double jeopardy here and put it in the form of a question...

Does the EA game offer Controller support? Or can that be achieved with a padmapper or keybinds? Currently the answer to that one is no for the PC, but yes for Stadia I believe.

Can I play the EA game with a driving POV or use WASD for character movement? Currently the answer there is also No. The game uses WASD or mouse edge panning for the camera, with mouse curser point and click (to ground) for character movement or chained group movement along automated paths.

Can I modify or customize the User Interface and in-game displays? Right now in EA No. The UI organization and main in-game displays are static and pre-arranged, can't be hidden or moved etc. I recall some word on eventually being able to modifying the size of the Font in the settings, but am struggling to remember where.

Will I be able to import/export my Characters in BG3, like I did in BG1 or BG2? Not currently in EA, each playthrough requires 'rolling up' a new character.

I'm sure there are a few more, but those were top of mind so thought I'd mention.

Last edited by Black_Elk; 14/09/22 06:13 AM.
veteran
veteran
Strictly speaking, yes. In the PFH Swen indeed says "[...] whether or not we're gonna put Level 5 in Act 1", not "in EA". Given the context (people having asked for Level 5 in EA for a while, people asking in the twitch chat during an EA promotional event), I feel it's relatively safe to assume he meant EA, not the full game's Act 1.
I agree ...
Just thought that since this is supposed to be "what Larian said" rather than "what we contextualy presume Larian meaned to say" ... it should be mentioned there that his words were slightly different ... but our explanation of them is this. wink

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 14/09/22 10:11 AM.

addict
addict
Overall, this is excellent. I am with MSR in that this one section needs additional rework:

If you want a smooth experience : no, the current version is far from polished and still full of bugs. If you just want to experience the full story and don't mind the lack of polish : no, the full story is not available yet. If you want to give feedback and (perhaps, potentially) help improve the game, you can. Naturally, with every passing day, feedback will probably less and less sought by Larian, but as of right now, it's still sought.

My suggested change:

If you are expecting a bug-free experience, all classes, subclasses and races, character levels beyond 4, or all of the story...No. The current version is far from polished and still full of bugs. Game mechanics and features are still being added. The curent story is likely a fraction of the story available at release, and there is a hard cap of level 4.

However, many players have 500+ hours of gameplay so far and have really enjoyed Early Access. So if you do not set high expectations, don't want to wait until release to experience an incredible game, and/or you want to give feedback and (perhaps, potentially) help improve the game... Yes. (Naturally, with every passing day, feedback will probably less and less sought by Larian, but as of right now, it's still sought.)

veteran
veteran
Personaly i would recomend dont answer that question at all ...
Rather something like: Here is the list of EA restrictions ... decide yourself

addict
addict
Personaly i would recomend dont answer that question at all ...
Rather something like: Here is the list of EA restrictions ... decide yourself

That's probably better.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard