Originally Posted by GM4Him
Wow. Kinda crazy how it blew up like this.

So, here I go again. Let's get something straight first. I wasn't complaining. I was pointing out why yes you can blame the game. It was simply an observation based on personal experience.

If you play basketball with certain rules, like the actual rules, for years and then someone comes along and tells you that you can suddenly just grab the ball and run with it without dribbling, that throws off your entire game. It's therefore not your fault, per SE, but the fault of the one changing the rules.

If I play Tabletop and everyone is pulled into combat and gets 1 surprise round, [...]
Please don't use this line of logic to argue against the rules in BG3. Although it is true that many BG3 rules are different than tabletop 5e, using different rules isn't inherently bad. You lose familiarity for some tabletop 5e enthusiasts, sure, but this loss can easily be made up for by an improvement in rules, or just a change that makes things different in an interesting way. E.g., BG3's Ranger is different than tabletop, but widely regarded to be an improvement.

My, and many forum posters', arguments against BG3 are context-less: many BG3 mechanics are bad on their own merits. I won't repeat the reasons here because they've been stated multiple times ITT.

Or, if you really want to blame the game's changed rules, blame any (lack of) tooltips and in-game glossary. Any rule should be clearly explained in game, especially rules that differ from the system the video game is based on.

Last edited by mrfuji3; 19/09/22 11:57 PM.