I see the reductionists are out in full force – ‘if you don’t like it, ignore it’.

Same old faces, too, bar maybe one new recruit.

An exploit is a problem because it translates into a failing of intelligence on either a design or an AI level. Something a human player can do to mess with the system hasn’t been anticipated, so there’s a hole in what you would expect to be an airtight tactical experience.

In other words, it’s more entertaining if the game reacts to some attempted exploit in a self-aware way. It deepens the immersion, makes you feel like you’re playing against a thinking creature, not just a bit of binary – yes, it’s an illusion, but who doesn’t like well-crafted suspension of disbelief?

I don’t play this game as a substitute for real life, as I believe a fraction of people do, unhealthily and with some comedic pomposity about it to boot. I can’t relate to how that situation could materialise, but I do think the types who’ll cut your throat out for suggesting the game’s balance and mechanics aren’t quite perfect are merely part of a vocal minority. Most of the comments I’ve read seem to be of the ‘exploits should be adjusted’ variety.

I think part of the backlash towards addressing exploits is rooted in a fear that the suggested corrections may be taken on board. I’ve seen plenty of good ideas to tackle the exploits, so I won’t repeat any. And I’ve mentioned exploits I found myself with the familiars that should definitely invite a reaction from the AI.

Thing is, I’ve a feeling every design decision we witness now, bar some minor tweaks, is the end product until the inevitable ‘definitive edition’ that all moderns RPG’s receive 1-2 years after the full release is proven to be a balance-shitshow.

I haven’t played the game properly in months, mind – so either way, I don’t care whether they balance these exploits. My world won’t come crashing down if they don’t. But we’re all entitled to our opinions, and my two cents is I’d rather they do something about these pseudo-cheats, preferably based on the reasonable adjustments I’ve read both here and elsewhere.

Last edited by konmehn; 20/09/22 12:57 AM.