Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Roethen Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
It’s too easy to revive characters in battle. In 5e, in order to stabilize a character (stop death saving throws while remaining unconscious at 0 HP), a player must pass a wisdom skill check in medicine unless they forego it with a Healer’s Kit. If that player has the Healer Feat, they can stabilize other creatures and bring them back with 1 HP or 1d6+4+HD (once per short or long rest, per character). Resuscitation is too available in BG3, and is one of the mechanics that almost makes me feel lazy for even recognizing it. In my opinion, it would increase the value of the cleric class and provide more in the way of class identity overall because, all this in mind, healing a fallen character outright is probably more useful in some conditions than only stabilizing them. What’s the community’s consensus? Should it be more difficult to stabilize dying characters? Would it be more immersive? Would it feel more realistic? Would it be too challenging?

Should medicine checks and healer’s kits be required for stabilization?
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 24/11/21 04:21 AM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.
Last edited by Roethen; 24/11/21 11:51 PM.
veteran
veteran
To slightly correct, a character with the Healer feat can expend a use of the healer's kit to bring unconscious creatures up to 1 hp or heal them 1d6+4+HD (once per short rest, per character). Nothing restricts a medicine kit for sole usage by the Cleric class, and similarly any character can take the Healer feat to get these bonuses while using them.

But this also means that the ability to bring unconscious creatures up to 1 hp via a healer's kit stabilization requires an entire feat, and it's not something given for free just for choosing a class. So the fact that all characters can do it for free in BG3 is even more powerful than RAW than OP implies.

But yeah, +1. I dislike the whack-a-mole situations encouraged by 5e's "it's more effective to heal unconscious characters back into the fight than to heal them while they're still conscious." And I dislike BG3's exacerbation of this phenomenon even more.

Roethen Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Thanks for the correction - I'll put that in the original post. I confess, I only skimmed the DM Guide before posting. Still thought it deserved mentioning though.

veteran
veteran
Stabilizing a dying PC should be easy, but bringing a downed PC back into the fight should always require magical healing.

Roethen Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Stabilizing downed characters is still pretty easy in RAW, even without medical kits which are an automatic pass with 10 uses per kit. Let's say Tav the Life Cleric of Selune has 15 Wisdom with proficiency in medicine. If he doesn't have a healer's kit (which are extremely inexpensive at only 5 gp per), he can still use his action to stabilize a companion with +4 to his success rate on a DC of 10, meaning it becomes 20% easier to succeed, bringing his success rate up from 55% to 75%. If he invests in the Ability Score Improvement Feat at 4th level, that would increase to an 80% chance of success. While still not guaranteed, it would add an element of planning to difficult battles and would ensure players would need to think about their actions rather than spamming "help."

D
addict
addict
D
I'd just like to see them keep turn based running after combat if somebody is down so that you don't have to race real time to stabilize them.

Roethen Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Absolutely.

Roethen Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by dwig
I'd just like to see them keep turn based running after combat if somebody is down so that you don't have to race real time to stabilize them.

+1. Also bump. I really hope the devs see this thread.

addict
addict

+1 for me as well.

veteran
veteran
I would say: no.

First if all, we don't have stabilize (unless something changed when I wasn't looking?). I would like for "help" to just stabilize characters without bringing them back into battle - that would be a guaranteed result. Getting them up should require something extra: healing spell, potion etc. Perhaps a Healer Feat would introduce an automatic roll when helping a downed companion, to raise him up with 1 HP.

I was under impression that it was changed, with death rolls getting suspended at the conclusion of the combat? Like one or two patches ago. I don't think I have been downed during my current patch playthough, though.

Last edited by Wormerine; 19/09/22 10:10 PM.
T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
I like this idea.

In general we have a bit too much money in the game anyway, so having another thing to need to spend money on doesn't hurt.

D
addict
addict
D
Originally Posted by Wormerine
I would say: no.

First if all, we don't have stabilize (unless something changed when I wasn't looking?). I would like for "help" to just stabilize characters without bringing them back into battle - that would be a guaranteed result. Getting them up should require something extra: healing spell, potion etc. Perhaps a Healer Feat would introduce an automatic roll when helping a downed companion, to raise him up with 1 HP.

I was under impression that it was changed, with death rolls getting suspended at the conclusion of the combat? Like one or two patches ago. I don't think I have been downed during my current patch playthough, though.

That may well be the case, but I made the original comment last November P

Death rolls suspended at the end of combat is the correct solution to this problem though, so if that is what they have done then I approve.

Last edited by dwig; 20/09/22 06:15 PM.
veteran
veteran
That may well be the case, but I made the original comment last November P
Ah! Yes, sorry, I failed my perception check.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard