#830554 29/09/22 04:30 PM
R
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
https://blog.google/products/stadia/message-on-stadia-streaming-strategy/

Shuts down on Jan 18 2023.

If you got BG3 there, looks like you'll be getting a refund for the full cost of the game.

I'm curious to see if this leads to Larian putting it on another cloud streaming service like GeForce Now...

O
stranger
stranger
O
Saw that too frown

Guess I'll have to check if my PC can run BG3 now :P

Oklem #830558 29/09/22 05:43 PM
R
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
fam, I wish I had a PC that could run BG3 lol

Don't got a PC, can't afford a Steam Deck......I'm out here hoping so hard they support Geforce Now

old hand
old hand
I wonder how far in advance Larian would have known about this. They have to be trying to get the game on GeForce Now at this point.

R
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
I'm of the opinion that if BG3 ends up on GFN, it'll probably be at the launch of the game. Though with this recent development, I'm hoping that DRASTICALLY updates and speeds up their timetable to do so....

veteran
veteran
frown

D
D
Originally Posted by Saito Hikari
I wonder how far in advance Larian would have known about this. They have to be trying to get the game on GeForce Now at this point.
Honestly, anyone who knows Google's projects history could and should have predicted this 2 months after launch and CERTAINLY after Google canceled all the exclusives. Unless Larian had some sort of deal / were getting money from Google, they were beyond stupid if they invested any considerable effort and money into the Stadia port specifically and not into generic cloud gaming/streaming functionality.

DiDiDi #830592 30/09/22 09:07 AM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by DiDiDi
Originally Posted by Saito Hikari
Honestly, anyone who knows Google's projects history could and should have predicted this 2 months after launch and CERTAINLY after Google canceled all the exclusives.
Pretty much. A once Google axed production of exclusives for Stadia it was just a matter of time for the Stadia to join Google graveyard. It’s good they are giving refunds to people who bought stuff on it.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Yeah well, still sucks for those of us who wont get a chance to play BG3 because of reasons (not having the money or not willing to spend it on hardware). It's been a nice ride and I really enjoyed being a part of the BG3 EA but without the possibility to play it on my low-end screens I can't see myself playing the final release anywhere soon. Too bad, was really looking forward to play the final product and enjoyed every second spent on these forums discussing and theorizing about the game. The only hope left I have is that Larian's stadia version is already so far in development that it would make sense for them to release it themselves using the tech underlying stadia (I guess that would mean paying a share to google for their immersive stream tech) but I admit that that idea is probably born from an unhealthy amount of copium/hopium.

Would be nice to hear from Larian how things worked out from their side, however. Like, is all the effort they put into the stadia version simply lost now? Did they develop the two branches (win and linux) on par or was that simply for EA ? Would be a shame to hear it was all really for nothing, at least we consumers will get a refund, but seeing the work you put into a game being all for nothing (and also nothing to show in terms of reference to future employers) must be really though for the devs working on the stadia version of BG3.

Community Manager
Community Manager
Hey all,

Shared on Latest News, but re-sharing here:

We heard the news about Stadia shutting down at the same time as you. Google hasn’t shared any further details with us but as we understand it, you’ll still be able to play Baldur’s Gate 3 until January 18, 2023 when Stadia’s streaming service officially shuts down. According to their FAQ, they plan to refund any game purchases made on Stadia by then.

We’ll let you know when we learn more. In the meantime, Google has shared this FAQ with more information: https://support.google.com/stadia/answer/12790109

Salo #830617 30/09/22 05:54 PM
L
apprentice
apprentice
L
Originally Posted by Salo
Hey all,

Shared on Latest News, but re-sharing here:

We heard the news about Stadia shutting down at the same time as you. Google hasn’t shared any further details with us but as we understand it, you’ll still be able to play Baldur’s Gate 3 until January 18, 2023 when Stadia’s streaming service officially shuts down. According to their FAQ, they plan to refund any game purchases made on Stadia by then.

We’ll let you know when we learn more. In the meantime, Google has shared this FAQ with more information: https://support.google.com/stadia/answer/12790109

Thanks for the update Salo, it is much appreciated.

EA has been quite a journey, so after a big dose of SerraSerra's hopium what about a final patch to see us Stadia users through to January!

Seriously though, I would like to thank you personally for your positive engagement and I am sad my journey is coming to an end.

veteran
veteran

Salo #830632 30/09/22 08:32 PM
R
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
First of all, I'm deeply grateful for your response and clarity on what's happening.

I am curious to ask: Is there a possibility that after January 18th, 2023 Baldur's Gate 3 could be made available on other streaming platforms such as GeForce Now?

old hand
old hand
That is… Typical Google to keep everyone in the dark until the last moment. But we all knew the writing was on the wall after last month’s leak. Unfortunate.

Do we know, if this is going to affect BG3 development, and in what way?

For example, is this going to have a negative impact because of an agreement with Google?

Or, is it going to have a positive impact as far as time goes for release?

How does this change Larian's plans, if at all?

All in all, i am very sorry for Stadia players, but i am sure it will come to more platforms, at least in time.

Last edited by Krom; 30/09/22 08:39 PM.
Krom #830863 07/10/22 05:19 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Krom
Do we know, if this is going to affect BG3 development, and in what way?

For example, is this going to have a negative impact because of an agreement with Google?

Or, is it going to have a positive impact as far as time goes for release?

How does this change Larian's plans, if at all?

All in all, i am very sorry for Stadia players, but i am sure it will come to more platforms, at least in time.

I think the majority of the community will understand Larian's position. They only found out as recently as we have, according
to a post from the community manager. Whilst I am disappointed that my Stadia version will 'stop working' in January, and that
my friend who has no choice but to play on Stadia. I get and understand that it isn't Larian's fault. I'm lucky enough to also have
a computer that runs the steam version fine. It was my hope that I could let friends that visit my house play on the Stadia version
with me.

Love and sausages xx
Larian alumnus
Larian alumnus
Hey there,

Google hasn't shared any further details with us but as we understand it, you'll still be able to play Baldur's Gate 3 until January 18, 2023 when Stadia's streaming service officially shuts down.
According to their FAQ, they plan to refund any game purchases made on Stadia by then.
In the meantime, Google has shared this FAQ with more information: https://support.google.com/stadia/answer/12790109

Retired Senior Community Manager - Baldur's Gate III & Larian Studios
Twitter Nicou
Nicou #830942 10/10/22 02:34 PM
R
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
Originally Posted by Nicou
Hey there,

Google hasn't shared any further details with us but as we understand it, you'll still be able to play Baldur's Gate 3 until January 18, 2023 when Stadia's streaming service officially shuts down.
According to their FAQ, they plan to refund any game purchases made on Stadia by then.
In the meantime, Google has shared this FAQ with more information: https://support.google.com/stadia/answer/12790109

I'm really grateful to your response but I am curious to ask:

Is there a possibility that before or after January 18th, 2023 Baldur's Gate 3 could be made available on other streaming platforms such as GeForce Now?

Gonna cry?

STILL WAITING FOR NEW COMPANION AND CUSTOM PARTY WITHOUT MULTIPLAYER.
BECAUSE WHY FUCKING NOT???
R
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
Originally Posted by Street Hero
Gonna cry?

considering that I don't have a PC to play it on when Stadia dies, yea imma cry a bit cry

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard