Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Etruscan #831539 24/10/22 11:33 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Flooter
They waited until Patch 8 to showcase how little headway they had made towards a reaction system, when they could have been trying things out for months. Each patch where that system stayed unchanged meant millions of gamer-hours wasted. Even systems that were fine could have benefitted from some experimentation.

Larian listened to the community and adjusted BG3, I’m not disputing that. They obviously also iterate internally, and the UI and graphics are constantly updated. But I find it hard to believe that they could have nailed every game system on their second public try.

I guess that’s my worry for BG3: That it might feel like the second draft of a masterpiece. (I don’t think they’ll use that in their promo…)
I understand. Couple thoughts. First of all, I don't think we can assume that Larian does no further testing/research beyond what is in Early Access. As I understand behind-closed-doors NDA tests are a common practice. What they release into EA is not only a testing build but also PR build open for wide distribution. I would be surprised if they didn't do further testing in-house. While one might say "I don't care about content being polish, just give me stuff to test", even if it's true for one person, how true is it for a wide audience? I think that what they put into Early Access simply needs to be of reasonable quality - and that means investment into UI, art, sound effects, bug testing etc. At least a minimum viable product so to speak.

And continuing from there - how many of us are truly capable of critiqing a raw, in-development build of a game not in "minimal shipping product" stage. Lets say, they would give us early prototype of reaction system (assuming it happens in engine in game) which doesn't have dedicated UI, animations, sound effects, rebalancing etc. How helpful the feedback would be? In my time in Early Access a lot of time is spend discussing balance of the game - I always wonder how much point to it, or if devs just look at those post and think "no shit sherlock, we didn't get to doing balance pass yet". As a professional violinist I can listen to a student play a piece of music after a week or two of practice and judge how well they are progressing - I don't think I am capable of doing that with the game, as all I know are final products, not the pipeline.

Ragitsu #831611 26/10/22 09:02 PM
W
apprentice
apprentice
W
Originally Posted by Ragitsu
Nice strawman.

^^
Very much so, "if" it was intentional.

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted by Annyliese
Originally Posted by Lake Plisko
"Involve the community!1!"

They scream.

"NOT LIKE THAT THOUGH WTF!112!11"

They get angry.

If you don't want your face shown on stuff or used - then don't submit it. It's as simple as that. smile

Always loved posts like this. Without the hyperbolic caps-lock and tone, the two strawman quotes look entirely fine as a progression.

Larian's not going to give you any extra credit for demonizing people who are critical of them.

Oh - I just saw this.

I'm not looking for extra credit. I have criticized both Larian and Baldur's Gate 3. Not really demonizing people either. Nor do I really see how either of those things are a strawman - though I'm sure you feel empowered flexing your Philosophy 101 on people.

It's simply saying that this is optional. You do not have to take part in it. If you don't like it, then don't do it. Like I said - it's as simple as that. I guess you could say that is a false dichotomy (omg more fallacies friend) - but I don't really think that it is.

The community isn't going to give you any extra credit for standing up for them on something as meaningless as this.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard