It is pretty bonkers though that Githyanki is an option. I mean even when we had the option to play them in 3.5 edition we never did, even with the LA tradeoff. They are not a popular race, or even a liked race, unlike drow for example, people very often wanted to play one, even when it was difficult. Aasimars were also more popular than tieflings, but we saw the second appear in 5e phb while the first appeared in dm's guide and later on volo's guide. Some decisions of 5e were... interesting to say the least. Oathbreaker paladin and Death cleric, arguably some of the better mechanical routes tied to evil or npc only, in DM's guide. And now, we are gonna pay the price for it, with a phb-only game.

Anyway, people have expectations that they will see PHB features, we get it. They have hopes for something more though, because of several reasons.

1) Larian usually overdelivers from what they promised.

2) There probably are going to be some more options because of story, or setting, or whatever *cough Githyanki coudh*, and no one even asked for Gith. Imagine people's horror when they realize they can't play a fan-favorite aasimar paladin, but they can play a gith worldhater.

3) Some things don't work mechanically well from the PHB only. Some stellar options are missing, and some that even make builds work. Melee Warlocks do-not-work, period. Only with eldritch smite or/and Hexblade you can make them work. Which makes me wonder, what is even the purpose of Wyll, can anyone even make him work, as a melee character? Blade of Lowtiers more likely.

Anyway, pretty much people should understand that when they make "promises for only the PHB and they'll see", it means wait for PHB. Maybe they'll surprise us with something more. And let's hope they do, because i am not really looking forward to going back playing a stale PHB only game. PHB only 5th edition is not something to look forward to, no matter how hard it is to implement more stuff. Also, other companies *cough Owlcat cough*, managed to implement tons more classes, archetypes, prestige classes, feats, mythic paths even, that were available all from the alpha of the game(except some mythic paths).

Anyway, the game is probably feature complete, and we haven't even heard what are the final races and (sub)classes of the final release yet. Which means, either we won't like it because it's kinda basic PHB+gith, or they want to surprise us.

Still, i wanna prepare myself from what exactly we're getting. No point getting disappointed later, or close to release.

And no, assuming only PHB material is in, doesn't cut it. I want confirmation.