Originally Posted by Lake Plisko
My overall disike for the opening has less to do with it being action packed and more to do with it being way over the top (at least in my opinion). I also think starting on a flaming mindflayer ship soaring through the skies of hell while being attacked by dragon riding gith and then super high level demons fighting mindflayers makes it so that... uh... there isn't much to shock us after that?
I agree with you there - that's what I mean by issues of storytelling. It is a lot to take in, and I don't think the intro conveys the danger we are in. I think it could work if it managed to instil dread and intrigue.

I mean is that a dangerous foe or a buddy cop comedy.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Not to mentioned slapstic that happens right after.

Originally Posted by Etruscan
Sorry to nitpick but in BG2 we start as much higher level characters and it's a dungeon in a city not a burning Mindflayer ship hurtling through the realms being attacked by Dragons et al. I don't think that an understated introduction implies an uninteresting story.
I am not arguing against slow starts. Just pointing out that bombastic openings can work well. As to the level - at the moment I don't treat BG3 levels as anything more then gameplay contrivance. I am not convinced that the game uses those as an actual representation of our character's standing in the world.