I would normally have shied away from free score setting as an option, but I first experienced it with Solasta, and used it to accurately recreate some of my existing characters, and it felt really nice to be able to do. It also makes re-rolling quicker if, for example ,you're one of those people that will re-roll until they meet a certain threshold (say, for example, rolling until you have a spread over a certain total score, or until you have at lest one 18 to allocate) - you can bump individual numbers up or down to meet the requirement you set after a roll that's 'pretty close', and save yourself time and annoyance.

Yeah, people can use it to set ridiculous scores... but this is one of the times where I do very much feel that it's a case of that being a take it or leave it thing - if someone wants to run their own game a certain way, that's their business. Like any D&D table, multiplayer situations will see the host ruling on what score generation method the table should use, and that's also their business too. So, as an option I do actually support it, in the end.