Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
enthusiast
enthusiast
In D&D 5e Paladins swear an oath to an ideal not a deity.

From the Player's Handbook:
A paladin swears to uphold justice and righteousness, to stand with the good things of the world against the encroaching darkness, and to hunt the forces of evil wherever they lurk. Different paladins focus on various aspects of the cause of righteousness, but all are bound by the oaths that grant them power to do their sacred work. Although many paladins are devoted to gods of good, a paladin's power comes as much from a commitment to justice itself as it does from a god.

Paladins train for years to learn the skills of combat, mastering a variety of weapons and armor. Even so, their martial skills are secondary to the magical power they wield: power to heal the sick and injured, to smite the wicked and the undead, and to protect the innocent and those who join them in the fight for justice.

A paladin is a living embodiment of an oath—a promise or a vow made manifest in the person of a holy warrior who has the skill and the determination to see the cause through to the end. Some paladins devote themselves expressly to protecting the innocent and spreading justice in the world, while others resolve to attain that goal by conquering those who stand defiant and bringing them under the rule of law.

If you wish to imagine your Paladin serves some deity or gets their oath from some supernatural being there is nothing in the game that's stopping you.
Nothing is limiting your imagination.
If for some reason you have to have it on your character sheet you could always type it in your name field. For test purposes I just created a character named "Tav, servant of Helm"(You only have 20 characters so choose wisely)

old hand
old hand
Or take a dip into a cleric with a deity of your choice. Oh wait there is no multiclassing to workaround it...

Last edited by Lotus Noctus; 16/12/22 08:15 AM.
Alodar #835439 16/12/22 01:41 PM
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by Alodar
If you wish to imagine your Paladin serves some deity or gets their oath from some supernatural being there is nothing in the game that's stopping you.
Nothing is limiting your imagination.
If for some reason you have to have it on your character sheet you could always type it in your name field. For test purposes I just created a character named "Tav, servant of Helm"(You only have 20 characters so choose wisely)

For me it is the dialogue tags. If I am a paladin that is important to the NPC I am talking to I want to be able to bring that up to them like clerics of Shar or Selune can with Shadowheart

Deity choice should certainly be a choice for Paladin. It is lore accurate. Not having that choice is not. Its basically written everywhere else except rules as written for Paladin.

You dont need to force the choice Larian, but you need to make it available.

Couldnt stand playing paladin without one. so I did not. I am however about to play Paladin as we speak with a mod that enables it for Paladin (just like for cleric).

Cant wait for release, will do several playthroughs, one will be my favourite combo: Half Orc Paladin wink

Last edited by Odieman; 29/01/23 08:41 PM.

"They say he who smelt it dealt it."
Sooo technically... this burnt corpse is your fault officer."

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Scoonster49
I noticed while making a Paladin that we weren't given the option to choose our deity. Usually that is an essential thing in the games I have played since the deity informs the ethic code plus if you meet NPCs who are followers it can affect interactions.

I really hop that Larian not only lets Paladins choose a deity but it would be great if all classes could choose one

Totally agree.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard