Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#834877 14/12/22 08:12 PM
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I noticed while making a Paladin that we weren't given the option to choose our deity. Usually that is an essential thing in the games I have played since the deity informs the ethic code plus if you meet NPCs who are followers it can affect interactions.

I really hop that Larian not only lets Paladins choose a deity but it would be great if all classes could choose one

addict
addict
BG3 follows the 5th edition of Dnd. Paladins aren't dependent of a deity anymore.
That being said, they could allow choosing a deity or not smile

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Thanks. I did not realize. I always always pick one. I really hope by release they let us pick since at least to me the class doesn't make much sense without a deity

Last edited by Scoonster49; 14/12/22 08:28 PM.
L
addict
addict
L
Divine magic being passed down from deities to their worshippers via clerics/paladins has always been a given in the setting of the Forgotten Realms though, regardless of what edition was in play. 3rd edition had nonreligious clerics and paladins for options as well-it was treated as a setting/dm dependent matter. I know wotc is doing it this way to facilitate other settings and playstyles , but in a Realms game? And treating it as the only option? I was really looking forward to playing a Paladin as I think the divine caster options in d&d have some of the most interesting roleplay interaction potential (both in BG III and D&D in general) *because* of the religious aspect.

Paladins were my main interest in the update going into Panel From Hell, and loading up the game and finding out I couldn't even choose a deity just sucked all the wind out of my sails.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I find the very concept of Holy Warriors and Priests who don't follow a Deity Contradictory.

P
addict
addict
P
I've said this before, but the division of Paladins from requiring a deity in 5e is a result of 5e Paladins being a conglomeration of 3 separate classes from the older editions: Paladin, Blackguard, and Divine Champion. It's possible for you to turn a 5e Paladin into any of these with character choices and backstory.

That said, there's been many threads on the topic of selecting deities, and it seems many people want deity selection to be a default character option and not tied to class at all, which is also what I want, as people want to be able to play a character that is devout, without also being a Cleric.

Leucrotta #834969 15/12/22 12:50 AM
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by Leucrotta
Paladins were my main interest in the update going into Panel From Hell, and loading up the game and finding out I couldn't even choose a deity just sucked all the wind out of my sails.

This captures my feelings EXACTLY. I booted the game up excited to finally recreate my fav DND I ever played. A drow paladin of Elistree who is very awkward in his attempts to be a grand hero, but nope, no dice.

Originally Posted by Piff
That said, there's been many threads on the topic of selecting deities, and it seems many people want deity selection to be a default character option and not tied to class at all, which is also what I want, as people want to be able to play a character that is devout, without also being a Cleric.

Fully agree. Another thing I want to see in multiple playthroughs is Shadowheart's interactions with a Tav follower of Shar and Selune but only the Cleric class the same class as her has those interactions so I would have to play the game multiple times as the same class and as the same class as the character I want to see them with

Last edited by Scoonster49; 15/12/22 12:50 AM.
L
addict
addict
L
Yeah, I was looking forward to seeing the interactions between clerics and paladins, like how sorcerers and wizards are treated in-game.

Another big casualty of Paladins losing the ability to choose a deity is that you can't play a non-good paladin at all without going Oathbreaker. Both of the subclasses are oriented much more closely towards good alignments. The datamines showed dialogue options that indicated every deity that clerics could choose was initially going to be supported. You can't choose to be a paladin of Lolth or Shar or whatever and be an evil paladin that has an oath to follow-it's Oathbreaker or nothing if you want to be an evil paladin.

The implementation of the paladin class as-is does not make me happy.

veteran
veteran
Well to provide some semblance of comfort about the non-good paladin options, the oath of the avenger subclass (which I had really hoped would be included in the patch) is the phb oath meant to allow for that. It's the "defeat your enemy by any means necessary" paladin, very ends justify the means in their approach. I'm guessing they weren't included in the patch because they wanted the oathbreaker to be the "evil" option for EA.

As for paladins and deities, ever since pillars of eternity I really like the idea of paladins gaining their power through devotion to ideals rather than gods, but the option to tie paladins to gods probably would have been nice for role-playing purposes. Maybe they could make it an option depending on the oath you choose. So you pick the oath, and then you have the option to pick a god who would line up with the oath so you can roleplay as a paladin of them specifically.

Also I think every class getting to have a deity could be cool. Wotr pulled that off to awesome effect. I'll never forget when my dwarven monk who worshipped Torag was blessed with stone skin during an early set piece combat. Nor the little nods to your deity that cropped up.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Kou The Mad
I find the very concept of Holy Warriors and Priests who don't follow a Deity Contradictory.
I think you are looking a bit too mechanical to it.

Basically all we actually loose is [Cleric] "My deity demands it." ... and instead we got [Paladin] "My oath demands it."

At least it make more difference between them.
Our Paladin can still follow a deity, we just dont get deity mentioning dialogue choices.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
addict
addict
I also want to be able to select a deity/patron for all my classes. I also want to be able to type in the name of my deity/patron because the one I want may not be in the game. Patron for warlocks etc.

Basically our own bio entry with deity info. I know may not have game effect…

Last edited by avahZ Darkwood; 15/12/22 04:11 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by avahZ Darkwood
I also want to be able to select a deity/patron for all my classes. I also want to be able to type in the name of my deity/patron because the one I want may not be in the game. Patron for warlocks etc.

Basically our own bio entry with diets info.

Seconded to this most strongly! I'd like everyone to be able, but not [required[/i], to select a deity, or input one of their own, as a part of defining your personal character.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Being able to manually add your deity would be cool. A typed bio is probably not that hard to add.

For me I need the story to acknowledge my character's faith. If I am playing a paladin of a certain god and an NPC is trashing that god I want to be able to bring that up or if I am facing NPC who is a big deal to that god I would like to show proper deference, etc

veteran
veteran

Basically our own bio entry with diets info. I know may not have game effect…
Even if the wont recognize it at all, and you would have no way to tell the others?

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
L
addict
addict
L
Like the backgrounds? Speaking only for myself, that wouldn't do it for me. Paladin's where faith is only cosmetic doesn't do much for me.

I guess it'd be an improvement? But the state of paladins as far as I'[m concerned is rock bottom right now, so anything would be an improvement. Not necessarily one that'd make me want to play one now though.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD

Even if the wont recognize it at all, and you would have no way to tell the others?

Speaking for myself, there is something very affirming about just being able to type stuff into the game. In a playthrough of PoE, I typed my character backstory into the ingame journal. It didn't effect the game at all, but seeing it there on the screen did have a weirdly satisfying psychological impact that typing it into a regular word doc or leaving it purely in my head wouldn't have done.

Gray Ghost #835165 15/12/22 03:26 PM
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
Speaking for myself, there is something very affirming about just being able to type stuff into the game. In a playthrough of PoE, I typed my character backstory into the ingame journal. It didn't effect the game at all, but seeing it there on the screen did have a weirdly satisfying psychological impact that typing it into a regular word doc or leaving it purely in my head wouldn't have done.

I'm the same. And, I would also looooove to have a journal in the game (my suggestion wasn't that popular though 😿 sniff). Just you mentioning that was a thing in PoE made me interested in the game 😄

About the suggestion previously made, I fully support the idea to choose a deity (or none!) for all classes. It adds to the RP aspect (maybe even immersion to some). I get it.

R
apprentice
apprentice
R
While Paladins may not be dependent on a deity anymore, it would make sense for all classes to be able to choose a deity. I think people have been asking for this for a long while. It would make sense for a lot of different classes to have a deity they follow.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD

Yes smile

enthusiast
enthusiast
While it doesn't make sense for Clerics and Paladins to not have a deity at all, I would settle for all classes being allowed to pick one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard