Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
OP Offline
E
"Why should I put point in Con"?? So you don't like HPs? Or bonuses to Con saves?
I'm not saying we should be able to stack 50 spells. No. I don't want that either. But they got rediculous with the spell list that DOES require concentration. You basically get to select ONE concentration spell among all the options and forget the rest. Yeah that's a lot of fun. Give me this nice list of spells but I really only get to cast 3 of them. Lol.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Eyebreaker
"Why should I put point in Con"?? So you don't like HPs? Or bonuses to Con saves?
I'm not saying we should be able to stack 50 spells. No. I don't want that either. But they got rediculous with the spell list that DOES require concentration. You basically get to select ONE concentration spell among all the options and forget the rest. Yeah that's a lot of fun. Give me this nice list of spells but I really only get to cast 3 of them. Lol.

Low HP don't matter much if you don't get hit. Cons saves can be mitigated with potions (i.e. Poison etc.) .

I mean personally, I never "forget the rest" of the spells I need concentration for. It just required smarter thinking to know which of the spells you can stack, like Blur and Mirror Image and Aid and False Life and Mage Armor (if you are unarmored Mage), Haste, Giant Hill potion..... see how many things that already can be stacked there?

So no, I don't think we need to remove concentration. Game already relatively balanced so excessive stacking become unnecessary.

And yes, that's *a lot* of fun.

Edit: Stacking 3 debuffs is more than enough in a fight. Even in current Hardest fight. Concentration force player to pick whether to buff or debuff, not just blindly cast thing so something happen.

That's my 2c.

Last edited by Dext. Paladin; 25/12/22 02:38 PM.

Councellor Florrick's favorite Warlock.

Back Black Geyser's DLC: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/grapeocean/black-geyser-dlc-tales-of-the-moon-cult (RTwP Isometric cRPG inspired by BG1).
veteran
veteran
Playing a Cleric I feel like a bit too many spells require Concentration. But it's a great mechanic that fixes the ridiculous buff stacking of previous editions. Perhaps the next edition could just remove a spell or two from the Concentration list. I like the idea of "choose your buff" and it being powerful. There could also be a Feat that would allow Concentrating on a second spell.

BG3 needs to stop the unavoidable AoE fire spam from low level enemies though. And falling Prone should NOT be an automatic loss of Concentration. Concentration is a nightmare in BG3 and you tend to lose it very quickly always.

old hand
old hand
The best concentration spell in BG3 is Bless because it helps you keep concentration! smile

addict
addict
I have said that being able to concentrate should be based on int. Maybe in a future edition your int modifier will grant additional concentration slots. Anything less than 12 would only allow one at a time. Anything above 12 will allow for an additional with the risk of losing them all if save fails.

Last edited by avahZ Darkwood; 25/12/22 04:18 PM.
veteran
veteran
I think concentration being a constitution check makes sense since it's basically about how well you can handle the physical shock of pain and whether you can ride it out and stay focused on the spell. But I do think tying intelligence to the number of concentration spells you can have at a time isn't a bad idea. It could be that you can have half your proficiency bonus rounded down concentration spells active at a time. So at most you get three.

E
OP Offline
E
I'm just noticing that they (WotC not Larian) removed the cleric spell "Prayer" from the game? Does anyone know why? That spell always got stacked with Bless.

"Low HP don't matter much if you don't get hit. "? Don't know about you but I get hit quite a bit. Even with a 19 or higher AC. Especially when they cast the non-missing spell Magic Missile. You must love when they cast that one on you. Lol.

V
Van'tal
Unregistered
Van'tal
Unregistered
V
It's "Maybe-Baby" the birth control that works...sometimes.

I remember my first look at 5e and thinking WOW that's cool!...until I read the fine print.

Summon a powerful being that will fight your enemies until you loose concentration...then it eats YOU!

Boy it sure would be nice to have feats like resilience that can give you proficiency in Con saving throws, so you don't have to level dip.

Oh yea...mods

Last edited by Van'tal; 25/12/22 06:05 PM.
Lastman #837845 25/12/22 10:12 PM
A
apprentice
apprentice
A
Originally Posted by Lastman
It's bad and unbalance for a video game In Table top it's good and it makes senese because it speeds up combat and makes arbitrary balance, that's not balance at all but it works well enough and is something that can remove buffing in a quick and easy way for people to understand and do balancing around.

In the end it just translates to video gaming in a bad way and leaves you with a bunch of spells that never or in best case are rarely used and a bunch of others that are OP as fuck and always get abused. smile

In a video game format you have lots of better ways to stop and fix all those problems concentration is trying to fix as you are not limited by human conditions.

But what can you do if you make changes 5e "purists" will get upset and say it's not 5e anymore so you have to deal with that crowd and they don't really care if it would make for a better video game. This kinds of things always happen with table top ports where devs port rules just because they are rules.

I think it is balanced or else we would end up with the cluster fuck that bloatfinder is.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Alealexi
I think it is balanced or else we would end up with the cluster fuck that bloatfinder is.

No you woudn't that just another Table top system that was poorly adapted to a video game format. Nothing new.
There are 101 ways you can go to stoping that from happening.

Even 5e uses a few of those approaches, example mage armor balanced on a case by case how it does not stack with Unarmored Defense can be done for anything and all sorts of other ways you can limit anything and adapt to video game format for every spell, it just needs work that's all.

The new weapon attacks are examples that work just fine and no one made a peep before or since they added them. Even though they use powerful defuff spells that can be used without anykind of concentration.

People just lack the forsight to see how the game could be improved even further because they are afraid of change. The system in question is ok for what it is, but miles away from amazing.

i agree that it's better than pathfinder in most cases. But i woudn't take that example as objective and maybe i woudl aim a bit higher for better not worse.

It's way to late for this kinds of full system changes. If done, it should be planed ahead of time and it wasn't. The new August release date looks like a stretch as is. At best they could tweak a few spells here or there.

Mods will fix lots of this stuff anyway.

Last edited by Lastman; 26/12/22 07:10 AM.
addict
addict
It’s been toned down some, but the surfaces are what IMO causes the most issues with breaking concentration. At the moment, I tend to only use concentration spells that have an immediate use (like that level three warlock spell) or cheese them when the camp scenes activate. That way you can have one of your camp followers cast, let’s say armor, leave them at the camp and they never lose concentration lol.

stranger
stranger
It's a DND rule. And working as intended.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Eyebreaker
"Low HP don't matter much if you don't get hit. "? Don't know about you but I get hit quite a bit. Even with a 19 or higher AC. Especially when they cast the non-missing spell Magic Missile. You must love when they cast that one on you. Lol.
I remember reading thread about Larian pumping up HP and reducing AP - I didn’t compare actual stats myself, but the hits seem to land more often in BG3 then in other D&D games I played.

The unavoidable nature of magic missile is the reason why shield spell exists, but it’s not currently in the game. I wonder if BG3 will expand its functionality to prevent other unavoidable damage like granades.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Its a 5e core rule, spells is generally more powerfull, but the draw back is, you can only ever have one spell with concentration active... thats why finding the passive spells life false life, or other spells that dont have concentration is a puzzle, sure its not for anyone, and i can agree it is at time anoying, but pros and cons... it sorta got out of control in 3.5 when you stacked spell effects in absurdum, then the game turned more into a spread cheat how to stack your bonuses most effective...

I was sceptical at first like you, but the more i play the more the system grows on you...

addict
addict
That's why Larianism ignores that concentration system because the system is so great right? IN a video game it's amazing! hehehe must be it, because it grows on you. hehe

Last edited by Lastman; 30/12/22 03:11 AM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard