Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by The_Red_Queen
Okay, an update based on my new playthrough. Putting in spoiler tags as it's long and only tangentially related to the topic, but thought some of you might be interested in the weird and wonderful permutations of Gale's wonky conversation logic that I've been trying out.

TL;DR It is now possible to get Gale's quest and romance if his approval jumps too quickly in the grove, but not always and not always in a sensible order.

Context
  • Gale 's approval jumped to High while I was in the grove
  • I didn't spam resting so hadn't got his camp scenes like the weave one or the deer stew one in which he tells you he needs magic items
  • I'm not even sure I had his mirror image scene, but stupidly didn't note that
  • Gale hadn't died so I hadn't got his resurrection scene
  • He hadn't told me about his "condition" and I'd seen no evidence of it

I then tried a few alternatives:

Path 1: Gale reads the Necromancy of Thay
  • I had him insert the gem and read it, rather than me handing it to him, so it was in his inventory and he never absorbed it.
  • I then finished wiping out the goblin leaders at level 4 and got the Amulet of Selune, having already picked up the Sword of Justice and Staff of Crones.
  • Gale still hadn't mentioned his condition, and I'd had no Wizard of Waterdeep quest updates

We then have two sub-branches:

Path 1a: Immediately return to the grove and trigger the party
  • Gale thanked me at the party for having given him an artefact, though I hadn't (except for the Necromancy of Thay that was in the inventory) seeming to assume I knew what he was on about, and promised me a bedtime story tomorrow but wasn't interested in sleeping with me. I go to bed alone.
  • The next night he told me about Mystra.
  • I rested a few times, during which I think I got Astarion's mirror scene and mentioned he wasn't as handsome as Gale
  • I continued long resting and suddenly Gale starts talking about deer stew and tells me he needs artefacts and his quest updates, but there was zero acknowledgement that he'd already told me about Mystra and his condition.
  • I gave him two artefacts (in addition to the NoT which just stayed in his inventory) and the quest updated to say that's enough for now.

At that point I gave up that path, unromanced, and reloaded the save before I went back to the grove and tried the following ...

Path 1b: Continue playing without returning to the grove
  • I carried on playing until I hit level 5
  • At the very next rest, Gale did his deer stew spiel and asked for artefacts, the quest updated
  • I gave him two artefacts and got confirmation that was enough for now
  • I tried resting a few times, and at some point got Astarion's mirror scene, but nothing else

Then another branching ...

Path 1b(i): Party!
  • I went back to the grove and triggered the party
  • Still Gale wasn't interested in sleeping with me, only booking time the next night to tell me his story

So I reloaded to before the return to the grove, and tried ...
Path 1b(ii): Gale dies before the party
  • Before I returned to the grove, there was an unfortunate accident with Astarion's sword and Gale died frown
  • I resurrected him and spoke to him (both persuading him to tell you a bit more and letting him keep his secret work here)
  • I rested - at this point in my game the Owlbear cub turned up in my camp so that dominated the next few nights
  • But on the same night as the Owlbear cub and Scratch cuddled up, Gale had an ! above his head
  • Talking to Gale triggered the Weave scene in which I flirted with Gale
  • I returned to the grove, convened the party, and Gale wanted to spend the night with me. I'd forgotten how awkward his chat-up lines were eek. EDIT: And I’ve just gone back to this save and spent some quality time with Gale … and Astarion and Zevlor, who were both clearly nearby and visible throughout my intimate tête-à-tête with Gale. At least it was kissing only then cut to “Under Construction”. But while Astarion was meditating with his back to us, Zevlor was looking right at us which did kill the mood rather!

As I had a save from just before I gave Gale the NoT, I then thought I'd quickly try the following

Path 2: Give Gale the Necromancy of Thay in dialogue
  • I read the NoT with my PC, and once I had inserted the amethyst used the available dialogue option to give it to Gale (at this point he'd still not asked me for any artefacts, just suggested that he could take the book off my hands as a more qualified individual when I'd first found it)
  • He thanked me, said he'd read it later and it vanished from the party inventory
  • That night in camp, I spoke to him and he absorbed the book, thanking me and saying he'd need another artefact, speaking as though my character had any idea what he was going on about despite the fact this was the first he'd said. But at this point the Wizard of Waterdeep quest updated to say I'd given him an artefact and he wanted more
  • I found the Sword of Justice and gave it to him, quest updated to say that was all he needed for now
  • The next long rest I got Astarion's mirror scene and mentioned he wasn't as handsome as Gale
  • Rested a couple of times, nothing happened
  • Gale met another unfortunate accident and again I resurrected him
  • A rest or two later I got the weave scene and had the option to imagine a kiss
  • I assume that would have activated the romance again if I'd continued from that point, but I'd had enough!

Conclusion/hypotheses
  • It looks as though Gale's personal quest may now progress at level 5 if it hasn't already.
  • It also looks as though it will progress a few days after the party, if he tells you his bedtime story (though possibly letting him read the Necromancy of Thay was a factor).
  • And it also looks as though it will progress if you give him the Necromancy of Thay in dialogue.
  • The weave scene only seems to trigger if Gale dies and is resurrected, once his approval is already high, and I only got it after giving him two artefacts. I never got the option to romance Gale at the party without the Weave scene.
  • The Astarion mirror scene may or may not be significant - it did occur (and I mentioned thinking Gale was more handsome) before the weave scene each time, but this could have been coincidence.
  • I was as nice as possible to Gale and didn't pry into his mind, but it's possible that even following the paths I've outlined here would have different results if different lines were chosen!
  • In conclusion, it looks as though it should be possible to get a romance with Gale without spamming rest, as long as he dies and is resurrected some time before the party. But I did do some rest spamming later in the game to test out these options, so I've not quite cracked it yet. A task for another playthrough!
  • But while this gives an interim workaround for those of us who want to progress Gale's quest or romance him without spamming rest, it really should be fixed properly!

Gah! I don't understand. I just had reason to reload my save from just before the branch between 1a and 1b mentioned above and rest multiple times to try to check out a different bug. And this time, despite the fact Gale hadn't died and I was still level 4, I got Astarion's mirror scene, then Gale's deer stew scene, then the Mystra scene and then the scene in which he tells me about his loss of power, all interspersed with some owlbear cub interactions. And then I had the chance to spend the night with him at the party. I don't understand why it panned out differently this time. User error, I imagine, but I guess it's good news that Gale will in some circumstances progress his quest with high early approval and without dying.

There's still something seriously wrong with the pacing here, though, as he didn't even tell me about his problem until two nights after the goblin leaders were already dead, so the party could already have happened if I'd gone back to the grove. I guess in the full game there might be opportunities to progress a romance later if you've not got to that point before the party, in which case it wouldn't matter so much. Though both the weave and loss scenes are nice ones and it would be a pity to miss out on them, but they would need to progress slightly differently if Gale had already told you his bedtime story after the party.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
addict
addict
I had to kill him in camp and the resurrect him via his easy 123stepz lol to get the scene to progress. Zevlor was prolly getting impatient as they were wanting to party at my camp.

Edit
Oh and yes it finally progress after about 700 owlbear and doggo scenes. So many long rests… ugg

Last edited by avahZ Darkwood; 13/01/23 01:38 AM.
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by The_Red_Queen
I don't understand why it panned out differently this time. User error, I imagine
Either that ...
Or you just talked to him before different trigger overwrited it ...

Dunno, its really hard to gues when we are in the dark here. frown
Would be so much easier if someone from Larian would care enough to tell us how is it working, if nothing else ... then at least so we know wich one is bug and wich one is really bad design. :-/

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
S
old hand
old hand
S
My game is bugged, in... a lot of ways. Noteably in this case, Gale knows everything I do.

I first triggered the artefact scene on day 1. He said "he's been watching me" pointed out how I stopped the fight between that human and Zevlor. And confessed his crimes just like that

I thought that's how it works now, but apparently not?

Anyway, Gale is very, very glitched! My entire companion progression seems wonky, but not omniscient wizard wonky. I can't even see anyone's approval notifs outside camp because the one and only observer is of course GALE. Yet the sliders move. So they must know, right? I never get ! prompts or comments, but they must know, surely? It's maddening...

That's just what you get for using a glitch to travel with custom party members I guess frown

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Silver/
My game is bugged, in... a lot of ways. Noteably in this case, Gale knows everything I do.

I first triggered the artefact scene on day 1. He said "he's been watching me" pointed out how I stopped the fight between that human and Zevlor. And confessed his crimes just like that

I thought that's how it works now, but apparently not?

Anyway, Gale is very, very glitched! My entire companion progression seems wonky, but not omniscient wizard wonky

I think the scene normally kicks in when you first rest at some specific approval level - maybe medium? Or high? But given his approval can easily jump from neutral to very high on a wander through the druid grove with him, it’s possible to miss triggering the scene by just not resting at the appropriate approval level.

It looks as though there is (now?) some contingency programming to trigger the scenes even at very high approval, but the logic of when this happens is unclear and the pacing still wonky.

Hopefully once Larian have the full release to play with, they’ll make it possible to spread this companion content out more rather than having to cram so much in before the party or lose it, given the party could easily happen after just two or three days. I don’t need companion interactions to come quite so thick and fast, and what we have early in EA feels like a pace it would be hard to keep up through the whole game. We already see companion interactions die down dramatically after the party if we’ve maximised them before it. I do expect Larian to add new interactions in this post-party period for full release, but would also be more than happy if they also adjusted some of the current ones so they could happen on a free night later in the game. In principle, I’m happy with forcing us to pace companion interactions to one major one per rest rather than spending ages in camp to run through different interactions one night and then have deadly silence on other nights. But I do think that approach should be limited to interactions that feasibly could have a variation appear at any point in the story, rather than ones that are timebound and will not happen at all once other plot points have been reached.

EDIT: Again testing something else, I had reason to load my save before the party at level 4 with no Gale quest progression. This time, I triggered the romance with Wyll, and didn't talk to Gale at all so he never offered his bedtime story. Then over the next few nights I got his deer stew, Mystra and loss scenes (and was able to "share an intimate moment" with him, despite having romanced Wyll), but I then rested a fair few more times but he never offered the bedtime story so perhaps that only comes at the party, or perhaps there is or will be another trigger later. This makes me think that the romance arc still might work but over a longer period come the full release if we don't spam rest early, but that there are still some bugs in the conversation triggers, such as the one that had Gale tell me his bedtime story as though he'd previously told me of his problem even though he hadn't (possibly because I'd had him read the Necromancy of Thay).

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
S
old hand
old hand
S
His approval was neutral(ish?). I fought at the gate, went to the crypt with Shadowheart to grab the spear and rested. Nothing else. Maybe I messed my scenes up a bit by not using the tadpole. Lae'Zel still hasn't tried to kill me. Will she even if you don't?

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
His approval was neutral(ish?). I fought at the gate, went to the crypt with Shadowheart to grab the spear and rested. Nothing else. Maybe I messed my scenes up a bit by not using the tadpole.

I don’t think tadpole use makes any difference to Gale’s scenes, though it is hard to be sure. In the playthrough I was testing above, my main character never used their tadpole, but on the game day just before the chain of dialogue mentioned in my 12 Jan post, the Flind warlord had accosted Astarion rather than my druid, and he had used his tadpole to force her to turn on her pack, so I wouldn’t rule it out. In fact, what I was trying to test by repeat resting again was whether I got the “Where are you?” dream voice in this case, which Larian support had said I should but I didn’t. Which could well have been because it was overwritten by other triggers.

Lae'Zel still hasn't tried to kill me. Will she even if you don't?

She won’t. She’ll only do this when everyone starts feeling ill, which will only happen after some tadpole uses. This one, I think, does make sense!

veteran
veteran
the first time you use the tabpole triggers the "where are you" at next rest... you must use it again to trigger the Lae'zel attack and get sick
after that you can use it once more to get the 'lests not do that again" scenes + not using the tabpole = you don't get these but some of the other cut sences 'assume' you did

p.s, all these cut scenes give you options to gain or lose points with your party but most of the outcomes are pretty obvious

Luke Skywalker: I don't, I don't believe it.
Yoda: That is why you failed.
S
old hand
old hand
S
Interesting. Will I not even get Raphael without use?

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Interesting. Will I not even get Raphael without use?

Raphael should still turn up, I believe.

veteran
veteran
his script triggers on hitting level 3... it may take a few rests before he shows up but its not tabpole use related

S
old hand
old hand
S
Oh, that's neat. Thank you! I rested rarely with this party until midgame because Gale already demanded an artefact. Though, I guess no Raphael means he shouldn't be able to sell his soul? Dubious, didn't quite want to find out.

veteran
veteran
One assumes selling your sole to Raphael means it goes into a coin after you die... What I want know is do we get the chance to resurrect BEFORE that happens or perhaps we can buy it back with another soul coin?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Ussnorway
One assumes selling your sole to Raphael means it goes into a coin after you die... What I want know is do we get the chance to resurrect BEFORE that happens or perhaps we can buy it back with another soul coin?

No you are no longer a candidate for raise dead, resurrection, or reincarnate if you have lost your soul - you would have to bargain with the devil or demon to get permission for a rez spell to be cast on you.

Generally though you would immediately be reincarnated as a Lemur, Dretch or Mane and begin your long slow journey up the demonic hierarchy. Thankfully most of your memories would be lost in the process of becoming a Dretch, mane, or Lemur - although you would have occasional flashes of your former life which would just fuel your rage.

Enjoy eternity fighting the blood war.

Blackheifer
veteran
veteran
Don’t worry! I’ll win this blood war in my lemur form!😜

[Linked Image from media.npr.org]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard