Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I just dont get it ...
Why this even still is a thing? :-/

People are complaining about that since start of EA, some romances (Gale for example) become almost impossible to achieve, without spaming long rest after every single conversation or affection change ... many scenes between companions were never even seen since aproaching them requires this so unnatural behaviour. O_o
Do you really want all your work go to waste like this, Larian?

And what is even worse, if you have at least ONE additional custom character in your party, ALL conversation triggers in the world are overwritten by some meaningless "chat between PCs" where everyone state their mind wich can be only picked in one of two options (either entirely refusing the situation, or entirely accepting it), and then, if you pick different choices, the one who triggered it simply states there is no point in talking about it!
Actualy i agree, there indeed is no point in this talking ...
I mean, dont get me wrong ... its good that even people who will not be at Discord (or some other comunication) will be able to discuss their intentions and goals ...

But why, just bcs our PCs want to tell each other why we saved Sazza ... we can no longer listen to Gales tale from Waterdeep tavern ... or Astarions snarky coment about Tieflings?

Why there can be only one conversation unlocked? :-/
Is there really no tool in your engine, that would allow you to use multiple triggers? :-/

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 25/12/22 08:28 AM.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
S
old hand
old hand
S
On the contrary, I find the fact that we are already getting maximum approval and intimate scenes at act 1 quite hastened. It will make more sense at release since romances and overall discussions will be able to be spread on a longer time span.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by snowram
On the contrary, I find the fact that we are already getting maximum approval and intimate scenes at act 1 quite hastened. It will make more sense at release since romances and overall discussions will be able to be spread on a longer time span.
That is completely different topic ...
Im talking here about conversation triggers, not about romance.

IF you are looking for romance topic ... you may try for example this one:
https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=834304&page=1

veteran
veteran
+1 to the multiple triggers per long rest

Also more triggers during the exploration would be appreciated.

S
old hand
old hand
S
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Originally Posted by snowram
That is completely different topic ...
Im talking here about conversation triggers, not about romance.

IF you are looking for romance topic ... you may try for example this one:
https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=834304&page=1
From your first post :
People are complaining about that since start of EA, some romances (Gale for example) become almost impossible to achieve, without spaming long rest after every single conversation or affection change ... many scenes between companions were never even seen since aproaching them requires this so unnatural behaviour. O_o
Do you really want all your work go to waste like this, Larian?
Romances are part of triggers, it was merely an exemple to illustrate my point. I get that some people have acute FOMO but I am not like this. Being able to get all triggers up until romance before even having completed act 1 is for me already too fast considering it isn't even the end of the first act and we will get 3 of them. Check WotR where relationships start to develop at act 3, it takes time and dedication to get there.

addict
addict
+1
I would much prefer if we were able to talk to all of our companions after certain events (like in DOS2...funny enough), not just when using long rests but during the day as well (like the companions reactions after talking to Kagha or Nettie).

I think the excuse might be "replay value". I don't like that excuse at all 😑

1) Even if the game is asking us to focus on one companion (which, I'm not on board), we need a minimum of interaction with them before being able to choose who has our preference. The recruit scene is not enough. Some of the hard-to-trigger cutscenes offer much needed information about the companions. in order to be able to appreciate them.
2) Even if I were to accept this "focus on one companion" (again, I'm not and I won't), which companion gets the spotlights is seemingly random (especially during the day). Some companions seem to have the priority over others. In my case, it's often SH who has the priority. So, this "system" doesn't work, in my opinion, because we can't choose.

The biggest one to me, is that I have to kill SH (temporally, but still immersion breaking) if I want to trigger the scene where Astarion talks about *SPOILER* his nightmare about Cazador scaring his back *END SPOILER*. Which is a key one, it gives important information but also it's needed to unlock another scene with him.

Obviously, this is all just based on EA information.
They did say Act1 will change on full release, maybe this will be part of it? I sure hope so 😶
Because, this turns what could be "story-rich" into "story-poor", in my opinion.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by MelivySilverRoot
+1
I would much prefer if we were able to talk to all of our companions after certain events (like in DOS2...funny enough), not just when using long rests but during the day as well (like the companions reactions after talking to Kagha or Nettie).

1) Even if the game is asking us to focus on one companion (which, I'm not on board), we need a minimum of interaction with them before being able to choose who has our preference. The recruit scene is not enough. Some of the hard-to-trigger cutscenes offer much needed information about the companions. in order to be able to appreciate them.
2) Even if I were to accept this "focus on one companion" (again, I'm not and I won't), which companion gets the spotlights is seemingly random (especially during the day). Some companions seem to have the priority over others. In my case, it's often SH who has the priority. So, this "system" doesn't work, in my opinion, because we can't choose.

The biggest one to me, is that I have to kill SH (temporally, but still immersion breaking) if I want to trigger the scene where Astarion talks about *SPOILER* his nightmare about Cazador scaring his back *END SPOILER*. Which is a key one, it gives important information but also it's needed to unlock another scene with him.

They did say Act1 will change on full release, maybe this will be part of it? I sure hope so 😶
Because, this turns what could be "story-rich" into "story-poor", in my opinion.

Well said! I agree.

some romances (Gale for example) become almost impossible to achieve, without spaming long rest after every single conversation or affection change

I definitely agree with your main points, @Rag, but while it's cold comfort I did find on my patch 9 playthrough that you can still get Gale's romance and personal quest even if you don't spam long rests and his attitude soars in the early game. At some point he did pipe up and tell me about his magical artifact problem and propositioned me at the party. It seemed pretty unsatisfying as a story arc as other interactions (such as the weave scene) were skipped, but at least it's (now) possible to progress his story without over-resting.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by The_Red_Queen
you can still get Gale's romance and personal quest even if you don't spam long rests and his attitude soars in the early game.
This sounds to be like you were simply lucky. laugh

I mean, technicaly curent state requires you only to catch each trigger before its overwritten by another one ... wich is what i dislike ... but its definietly possible! Spaming long rest after every conversation, or affection gain/loss is just easy way to make sure you make it. smile

Curent state, single PC: (notice that i didnt say player, it was intentional)
While you go trough the world ... you unlock:
Conversation A - in the world (you can have right now and there)
Conversation B - in camp
Conversation C - in camp
When you get to your camp, you can have Conversation C ... but B is lost for you!
Wich sucks ...

Curent state, multiple PC:
Conversation A - in the world (you can't have, bcs your PCs overwrite it by Conversation Z, by their meere presence, there is no way around it!)
Conversation B - in camp
Conversation C - in camp
When you get to your camp, you can have Conversation C ... but B and A is lost for you!
Wich sucks even more ...

What i want is:
Conversation A - in the world (you can have right now and there ... then, if you have multiple PC, you can have Conversation Z, or other way around ... the point is ho have both!)
Conversation B - in camp
Conversation C - in camp
When you get to your camp, you can have Conversation C and B afterwards, or other way around ...

I mean, can you even imagine game that would allow you complete ONLY the last quest you did? And everything you did before would be lost forewer? Me neither. laugh

V
Van'tal
Unregistered
Van'tal
Unregistered
V

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
you can still get Gale's romance and personal quest even if you don't spam long rests and his attitude soars in the early game.

Well, perhaps. I thought I’d just done the same things that in previous patches that resulted in zero Gale romance or personal quest progression, but you’re right that I may just have come across a slightly different permutation and nothing has actually changed.

I don’t usually spam rest in my playthroughs unless I’m specifically trying to romance Gale so I’ll see what happens in my other patch 9 runs.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

Well, perhaps. I thought I’d just done the same things that in previous patches that resulted in zero Gale romance or personal quest progression, but you’re right that I may just have come across a slightly different permutation and nothing has actually changed.

Okay, an update based on my new playthrough. Putting in spoiler tags as it's long and only tangentially related to the topic, but thought some of you might be interested in the weird and wonderful permutations of Gale's wonky conversation logic that I've been trying out.

TL;DR It is now possible to get Gale's quest and romance if his approval jumps too quickly in the grove, but not always and not always in a sensible order.

Context
  • Gale 's approval jumped to High while I was in the grove
  • I didn't spam resting so hadn't got his camp scenes like the weave one or the deer stew one in which he tells you he needs magic items
  • I'm not even sure I had his mirror image scene, but stupidly didn't note that
  • Gale hadn't died so I hadn't got his resurrection scene
  • He hadn't told me about his "condition" and I'd seen no evidence of it

I then tried a few alternatives:

Path 1: Gale reads the Necromancy of Thay
  • I had him insert the gem and read it, rather than me handing it to him, so it was in his inventory and he never absorbed it.
  • I then finished wiping out the goblin leaders at level 4 and got the Amulet of Selune, having already picked up the Sword of Justice and Staff of Crones.
  • Gale still hadn't mentioned his condition, and I'd had no Wizard of Waterdeep quest updates

We then have two sub-branches:

Path 1a: Immediately return to the grove and trigger the party
  • Gale thanked me at the party for having given him an artefact, though I hadn't (except for the Necromancy of Thay that was in the inventory) seeming to assume I knew what he was on about, and promised me a bedtime story tomorrow but wasn't interested in sleeping with me. I go to bed alone.
  • The next night he told me about Mystra.
  • I rested a few times, during which I think I got Astarion's mirror scene and mentioned he wasn't as handsome as Gale
  • I continued long resting and suddenly Gale starts talking about deer stew and tells me he needs artefacts and his quest updates, but there was zero acknowledgement that he'd already told me about Mystra and his condition.
  • I gave him two artefacts (in addition to the NoT which just stayed in his inventory) and the quest updated to say that's enough for now.

At that point I gave up that path, unromanced, and reloaded the save before I went back to the grove and tried the following ...

Path 1b: Continue playing without returning to the grove
  • I carried on playing until I hit level 5
  • At the very next rest, Gale did his deer stew spiel and asked for artefacts, the quest updated
  • I gave him two artefacts and got confirmation that was enough for now
  • I tried resting a few times, and at some point got Astarion's mirror scene, but nothing else

Then another branching ...

Path 1b(i): Party!
  • I went back to the grove and triggered the party
  • Still Gale wasn't interested in sleeping with me, only booking time the next night to tell me his story

So I reloaded to before the return to the grove, and tried ...
Path 1b(ii): Gale dies before the party
  • Before I returned to the grove, there was an unfortunate accident with Astarion's sword and Gale died frown
  • I resurrected him and spoke to him (both persuading him to tell you a bit more and letting him keep his secret work here)
  • I rested - at this point in my game the Owlbear cub turned up in my camp so that dominated the next few nights
  • But on the same night as the Owlbear cub and Scratch cuddled up, Gale had an ! above his head
  • Talking to Gale triggered the Weave scene in which I flirted with Gale
  • I returned to the grove, convened the party, and Gale wanted to spend the night with me. I'd forgotten how awkward his chat-up lines were eek. EDIT: And I’ve just gone back to this save and spent some quality time with Gale … and Astarion and Zevlor, who were both clearly nearby and visible throughout my intimate tête-à-tête with Gale. At least it was kissing only then cut to “Under Construction”. But while Astarion was meditating with his back to us, Zevlor was looking right at us which did kill the mood rather!

As I had a save from just before I gave Gale the NoT, I then thought I'd quickly try the following

Path 2: Give Gale the Necromancy of Thay in dialogue
  • I read the NoT with my PC, and once I had inserted the amethyst used the available dialogue option to give it to Gale (at this point he'd still not asked me for any artefacts, just suggested that he could take the book off my hands as a more qualified individual when I'd first found it)
  • He thanked me, said he'd read it later and it vanished from the party inventory
  • That night in camp, I spoke to him and he absorbed the book, thanking me and saying he'd need another artefact, speaking as though my character had any idea what he was going on about despite the fact this was the first he'd said. But at this point the Wizard of Waterdeep quest updated to say I'd given him an artefact and he wanted more
  • I found the Sword of Justice and gave it to him, quest updated to say that was all he needed for now
  • The next long rest I got Astarion's mirror scene and mentioned he wasn't as handsome as Gale
  • Rested a couple of times, nothing happened
  • Gale met another unfortunate accident and again I resurrected him
  • A rest or two later I got the weave scene and had the option to imagine a kiss
  • I assume that would have activated the romance again if I'd continued from that point, but I'd had enough!

Conclusion/hypotheses
  • It looks as though Gale's personal quest may now progress at level 5 if it hasn't already.
  • It also looks as though it will progress a few days after the party, if he tells you his bedtime story (though possibly letting him read the Necromancy of Thay was a factor).
  • And it also looks as though it will progress if you give him the Necromancy of Thay in dialogue.
  • The weave scene only seems to trigger if Gale dies and is resurrected, once his approval is already high, and I only got it after giving him two artefacts. I never got the option to romance Gale at the party without the Weave scene.
  • The Astarion mirror scene may or may not be significant - it did occur (and I mentioned thinking Gale was more handsome) before the weave scene each time, but this could have been coincidence.
  • I was as nice as possible to Gale and didn't pry into his mind, but it's possible that even following the paths I've outlined here would have different results if different lines were chosen!
  • In conclusion, it looks as though it should be possible to get a romance with Gale without spamming rest, as long as he dies and is resurrected some time before the party. But I did do some rest spamming later in the game to test out these options, so I've not quite cracked it yet. A task for another playthrough!
  • But while this gives an interim workaround for those of us who want to progress Gale's quest or romance him without spamming rest, it really should be fixed properly!

Last edited by The_Red_Queen; 31/12/22 04:49 AM.

addict
addict
Wow, that's just...wow. Thank you for your report on this.
Some of the commentary made me laugh 😄

That is indeed weird and wonky and, I would say, shows that, without meta gaming (including weird gymnastics and Long Rest spamming), it's not really possible to enjoy the story, and in this case the romance with Gale, in a way that's coherent and sensible. Which is not ideal 😐

Side note : I also truly wonder if the romance would have continued after the party (Path 2) 😶 But I won't blame you for having enough at that point 😅
That was a lot of work!

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Wow, that's just...wow. Thank you for your report on this.
Some of the commentary made me laugh 😄

That is indeed weird and wonky and, I would say, shows that, without meta gaming (including weird gymnastics and Long Rest spamming), it's not really possible to enjoy the story, and in this case the romance with Gale, in a way that's coherent and sensible. Which is not ideal 😐

Side note : I also truly wonder if the romance would have continued after the party (Path 2) 😶 But I won't blame you for having enough at that point 😅
That was a lot of work!

Thank you!

I agree it would have been good to see if path 2 actually led to lurve with Gale, but that would have involved doing the whole goblin camp again which, much as I'm enjoying playing around with my moon druid, I couldn't face!

Now that I know a bit more about what may or may not move things along, I'll try on a future playthrough to see if I can get the romance flowing a bit more naturally and without rest spamming. But you're completely right that this will involve (a lot of) meta-gaming, which very definitely shouldn't be required!

On the plus side, if you don't care about romance with Gale and just want his quest to progress, it looks as though that might now trigger at some point anyway without you needing to do anything fancy. As long as you don't mind some dialogues happening in the wrong order, anyway!

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Thank you for doing all the hard testing for me. laugh

veteran
veteran
I just got the Weave scene too and I did get his approval at very high very quickly. But I had the death scene and the scene, where he confesses, that he needs magical items

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
veteran
veteran
I got Gale’s weave scene for the first time in patch 8. 😊 I rest plenty but still didn’t get it in previous patches. He didn’t die before I got the scene, and I got it after talking to Nettie (some said talking to Nettie too soon was previously one cause of not getting the scene).

addict
addict
+1

Yup, or might I add, like in Baldur's Gate 2. Storylines triggers felt nicely randomized throughout the world. Could be at an Inn, after a bloody battle, while exploring the wilderness...it was a bit chaotic but still felt really atmospheric within the world. Didn't get you out of the game by making you think, oh I need to go back to camp to advance xxx story.

It just reminded me of the bowl of goat's milk that old Winthrop used to put outside his door every evening for the dust demons. He said the dust demons could never resist goat's milk, and that they would always drink themselves into a stupor and then be too tired to enter his room..
addict
addict
And what is even worse, if you have at least ONE additional custom character in your party, ALL conversation triggers in the world are overwritten by some meaningless "chat between PCs" where everyone state their mind wich can be only picked in one of two options (either entirely refusing the situation, or entirely accepting it), and then, if you pick different choices, the one who triggered it simply states there is no point in talking about it!
This sounds like a hold-over from D:OS where ( in single-player ) you control 2 "Heroes" that have frequent conversations like this. In D:OS this actually had a purpose, because the choices you made in these conversations defined the character of your heroes, and more importantly, gave you in-game stat modifications that affected game systems ( I have no idea if the stat modification also applies in BG3 as I have not used more than 1 custom character ).

It was an interesting experiment, I suppose, but I never found the conversations to be very satisfying, particularly once you had worked out the stat modification metagaming and chose dialog on that basis.

On a more general note, yes, the dialog progressions can be a mess, particularly with Gale. If you make an effort to play the game in random ways rather than following the breadcrumbs, you will get all sorts of weird dialog, most of which is comments that imply you have seen or experienced something that you have not.

If there is an abundance of "flavour" dialog in the game, I don't feel the need to experince it all in every playthrough, but if important dialog
is missed or order-dependency not maintained, then that does imply a weakness in their current system. A recent interview had a developer describing a late-game branching conversation needing 800 ( I think ) decision points from previous game activity. This does not fill me with confidence, given how broken some of the EA dialog seems to be.

Last edited by etonbears; 31/12/22 08:43 PM. Reason: Wonky typing.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Gale's weave scene for romancing is essential. you do need to rest spamming if he didn't die and needs resurrection. although you might need another scene if you didn't show him your imagination of intimacy(you get the options of what you can show him but choose not to). you can ask to get closer than friend when the next scene you got from him.

S
S
Originally Posted by neprostoman
+1 to the multiple triggers per long rest

Also more triggers during the exploration would be appreciated.

Make it +2

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard