Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by RumRunner151
Fought the rooftop gobbos in Blighted Village and somehow broke my oath. Wyll was with me.

How did you enter battle with them? Had you spoken to them or any other nearby goblins?

I entered the village by climbing the roots that bring you up near the sleeping bugbear. I then went into the weaponsmith’s house and my party detected the ambush and revealed the goblin hiding in the opening. We shoved him out of the building at which point the whole welcoming party went hostile, and we killed that whole party WITHOUT breaking my oath of devotion.

But then I spoke to and intimidated a lone goblin wandering around. I can’t recall the exact words used but I’m pretty sure I didn’t make any promises not to kill other goblins. That particular goblin later died when he joined in the fight with the ogres and that didn’t break my oath. Though I’m not sure my paladin struck the killing blow, which I think is when oath breaking in this context registers.

Finally, I spoke to the two goblins guarding the way to the fetid bog. There was no opportunity to demand they leave or swear off killing travellers, and my paladin didn’t feel it was protecting the weak to leave them there threatening passersby. In fact, he’d sworn to punish those who threaten the weak, and those goblins certainly seemed to qualify, so they attacked them and in this case struck one of the killing blows. OATH BROKEN!

I know others have already said this, but the whole handling of oaths in that village just doesn’t work yet, and I suspect that extends to violence against other neutral parties that nevertheless have agendas that are contrary to the paladin’s oaths.

Plus it doesn’t seem right that it’s only striking the killing blow that’s significant, at least if the paladin is right there participating in the battle. In fact, for devotion paladins, shrugging off the responsibility because it was one of your party wot done it seems contrary to the tenet of duty.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by azarhal
Originally Posted by Thourton
I tried this Plagg, Nik-Nuk, and Crub fight some more times and figured out the trigger:

If Wyll has joined you but isn't in your party when you kill PNC, the game breaks your oath -- regardless if you've ever talked to Wyll at camp or adventured with him. I reloaded, added Wyll to my party, talked to him at camp, and had him with me to kill PNC. Oath remained intact.

That's a weird way to break your oath or not. Looks like some oath breaking trigger is mixed with companion's quest flags maybe.

That does sound odd. I happened to have a save just before this fight so gave it a try. I do not break my oath either when killing PNC with Wyll in my party, or if I dismiss him back to camp and then kill them without him. So perhaps there’s a weird difference between the oaths (I’m playing devotion) or there’s some further subtlety behind this bug beyond simply whether Wyll is in your party.

In case any of this is relevant, I have had Wyll in my party for most of the game, and have spoken to him multiple times in camp up to him telling me all about Mizora. He has a High opinion of me. My save is also post-party, as I’d actually forgotten to mop up PNC in my original clear out of the sanctum.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
addict
addict
Originally Posted by The_Red_Queen
Originally Posted by RumRunner151
Fought the rooftop gobbos in Blighted Village and somehow broke my oath. Wyll was with me.

How did you enter battle with them? Had you spoken to them or any other nearby goblins?

I went right in the main gate. Spoke to no goblins prior.

addict
addict
The whole oatbreaking system needs work. I killed the two tieflings guarding cage and nothing happend.

They would just need to use evil and good action tags on npcs and if you kill someone doing good you would get the oathbreaker . Currently it's a weird and funny at times and can lead to unwanted game loading. The whole sytem can be cheated as well. You have cases where it should break and it doesn't and vice versa.

apprentice
apprentice
Ive broken my Oath fighting the Goblins at the Blighted Villiage, Fighting the Paladins of Tyr , Fighting the Hook Horrors in the UnderDark - I may have killed Filo or what ever his name is , seems to me when ever you kill someone or something that you initiate the fight you lose your Oath

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard