Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Seriously, who at the studio thought it was a good idea to have all these ridiculous looking (and sounding) glowy icons/auras etc making your party look like they're auditioning for the next Tron film?

I've seen plenty of complaints about this since Early Access but here we are at release and we're still lit up like a Christmas tree. Many other games have a toggle for these things and BG3 desperately needs one too. Yes, I know there are much more important things for them to work on 'right now' but I'd be very happy if we knew it was 'on the radar'. As it stands, I use a mod that removes most of them from party members but so far, no mod I've seen removes them from your summons (Dryad, I'm talking about you especially).

Z
addict
addict
Z
I'm OK for them being active in combat, but it is pretty annoying outside combat.

Any flame effects also ruin your character. The Mystic Carrion staff has a torch effect, so the fire vapors distort your face 24/7, including cutscenes.

addict
addict
Yes, please do it Larian. I absolutely hate the vfx for buffs (and the casting vfx for some caster types like bards).

veteran
veteran
approvegauntlet

Half the Lasts Till Long Rest ritual buffs and spell based-ones I actively avoid using precisely because they're visually obnoxious and auditorily annoying to suffer 24/7. Sure they look and sound awesome, but they're hindering actual enjoyment of gameplay because the VFX/SFX last forever.

If the buff's VFX/SFX lasted only for the initial 2 seconds after being cast to emphasize they're active and then go away it'd be perfect. But right now having to watch the entire party drowned in visual effects and hearing the sound effects constantly loop is so unnecessary. It was one of my first direct feedbacks sent, because who wants to listen to this the entire playthrough just to get a +3m movement range from Longstrider;

veteran
veteran
Same!

My threads sink like lead balloons lol, but here's my take...

https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=107223&Number=890434#Post890434

Guidence is another one, cause you'll start the conversation one way and end it all lit up with glowing runes and it's in constant use.

Status VFX for NPC and characters outside our direct control is helpful. A brief display of the status effect on character selection would be helpful. Seeing and hearing it all times isn't. That's what the status portrait icons are for.

I love the incantations in BG3. The sounds are cool. The visuals are great. Just want a way to control that display and frequency.

Ps. For Arms and Armor we should have a toggle similar to how helmets work for any associated vfx. Options to hide in conversation or hide always, or for weapons and shields only when they are drawn/equiped.

Last edited by Black_Elk; 07/09/23 09:54 PM.
veteran
veteran
Something that by the time you get into the late-game phase plagues the visuals of half of the games in the genre, incidentally.

BG2 had this problem as well.

The rule of the thumb should always be "If it's a long-duration (or worse, permanent) buff coming from a spell or from equipment, the visual effect should be as muted and non-invasive as possible".

Last edited by Tuco; 07/09/23 09:57 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
C
stranger
stranger
C
Agreed.

my only complaint so far (2nd act) is elixir of the colossus. Why not just change size? Why all character model needed to be lit by annoying glow. Leave just the glow from the eyes and size!

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Like helmets, we should have toggle for on/off, off in cutscenes.

Link Copied to Clipboard