Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
[quote=Wormerine
Its the same as with Baldur's Gate III. ... yes, there will ALLWAYS (and i mean it litteraly) be someone claiming that this game is not worthy sucessor of that legacy.
Well I think I can answer this I am not the oldest one forums I know there are 50+ people and perhaps much older then that on forums. That said I have played pen and paper Dungeon Dragons even PRE 18 year age and I have played Dungeons Dragon a really long time before Dungeons Dragons 5 was released. Well not playing all the time many years breaks and sometimes playing through computer games.

I even joined a very long time ago a RETRO group of 2ND edition aka Advanced Dungeons Dragons and played a short campaign pen and paper.
I have played Dnd 3.0 and Dnd 3.5. I have not played DND 4 or Pathfinder except in computer games. I have played DnD 5.0 in pen and paper or remotely in COVID 19 time and computer games. Well and I have played Baldurs Gate 1 and 2 both of them in LAN multiplayer play a long time ago with my brother.

First of hmm story? Eh I really think that can not be judged until full release. BG3 has a promising start.

I think what many players that are old school miss is traditional graphics and to control characters like in Solasta, Pathfinder games, Pillars of Eternity those styles of game. It is not only that some players find the controlling the game BG3 not the best system out there (I belong to them)
while ok for me I would not say it is BG3 strongest side, but it works and has multiplayer cooperative support to maximum 4 players or you can play it solo which is very good.

In early versions of ALPHA BG3 was very far from real DnD 5 rules.That said BG3 has gradually become more close to DnD 5 today so even if currently some subclasses and Cleric domains, spells and feats from Players Handbook are missing it does generally feel enough DnD 5 for me and how close it is to real DND 5 rules and what is available in content we will not know before full release of the game.

What BG3 shine in and beats those other games is in graphics, cinematic visions... and sound is very good and music.

Now DND 5.0 system for BG3? DND 5.0 is enough good I think. There are of course some hardcore fan of old games that would like 2ND Advanced Dungeons Dragons rules like in BG1 and BG2. I understand that wish some might have, but honestly I think DND 5.0 is good enough DND system.

By the wast majority though including me Baldurs Gate 3 will be a very good game and perhaps even excellent.

For those who like more of traditional party controlling Dungeons Dragons that are at least fairly modern games that remind of BG1 and BG2 I suggest try Pathfinder games, Solasta and Pillars of Eternity. Pillars of Eternity 1 an 2 is not Dungeons Dragons, but close enough in my book so it reminds of BG1 and BG2. Pathfinder system has its roots and developed from DND 3.5 so personally I classify Pathfinder as a branch of Dungeons Dragons.

Of all those games only BG3 is Forgotten Realms Dungeons World and BG1 and BG2 were Forgotten Realms World. Solasta is DND 5.0 , but it is limited license and the world is not Forgotten Realms in Solasta.

Well and you can not judge BG3 before full release of the game which is likely in August 2023 that is the current release date plan.
I also like modern games that do not remind of BG1 an BG2, but this post is long enough.

Last edited by Terminator2020; 06/01/23 12:21 PM.