Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
addict
addict
G
Originally Posted by booboo
I think a problem with self-restraint is that the AI will still exploit these loopholes even if you choose not to? That pretty much ruins my experience. I want eveyone to play by the same rules....sure, a boss can have something extraordinary, within reasonable limits (they already have things like legendary actions, used to good effect in "the other game") , but that should be something rare and exciting. Already things like hurling potions to heal people etc leave a bad taste in my mouth - I don't do that, but the AI certainly does.

Exactly, if it exists as a possibility, no doubt we will fight AI at some point that have Haste and multiple full actions a turn.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Wormerine
Still, it would be nice to have a functional stealth system in game.
nah i think it's highy unlikly at this point, they said they are finishing the game. The whole system would need to be redesigned and good stealth systems are generally really hard to make. It's not something you just throw together in a month.

You need to make extra effort! Really hard work In turn based game! Usually two things can happen! One, steath is impractically nerfed or two it's broken op. Most TB games never see middle ground anyway.

Especially when you have a system like BG 3 where sounds are irrelevant and you can stand face to face to someone and they still can't see you or HEAR you.

Those of us who played a full stealth party run in Bg 3 know how broken it is and it has way bigger problems than just homebrew of bonus action hide. If you are running a full stealth party you don't really care about hide and invisibility costing full action cos you have all the time in the world not to mention rogues still get bonus action hide by raw. The only thing it would do is give rogue its merit back but leaving stealth system still broken.

Anyone who will use stealth to full potential in bg 3 will just breeze through the game. Maybe they will make a hand few fights that will be designed to fight stealth parties.

Problem with those is they need to be rare, so rare that they aren't really worth mentioning. if they aren’t rare they make the whole stealth obsolete. So we are back to square one where stealth is too good or useless.

and i think slot system kinda has the same problems in a video game as is, it just doesn't work that well if you do not have Active DM that keeps the system in check at all times. A game should never force a player to do those checking if nothing else it makes the game less fun where you constantly have to revalue your action while playing.

Volunteer Moderator
Online Content
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Lastman
Originally Posted by Wormerine
Still, it would be nice to have a functional stealth system in game.
nah i think it's highy unlikly at this point, they said they are finishing the game. The whole system would need to be redesigned and good stealth systems are generally really hard to make.

It's a matter of degree. Making a fantastic stealth mechanic would probably be too much at this stage, but making some changes that would make the stealth system much more usable for players not actively trying to cheese it shouldn't be nearly as hard, and it feels like it could be done without totally redesigning the system.

In a second attempt to keep this thread from turning into another discussion of broken stealth mechanics, I'll post the correct link this time to the recent thread discussing possible tweaks to improve stealth alongside other cheesy mechanics: https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=838914#Post838914.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
addict
addict
Self restraint argument is the perfect excuse not to fix a broken game.
But it is not broken you say?
People nowdays expect broken over the top mechanics because its fun.
My old gamer self hates this game for what it is, a broken mess of garbled systems, over the top visuals and annoying console multiplayer centric UI...
Yet my modern gamer self really loves this game for the unique creative aspects it brings to the table.

It just reminded me of the bowl of goat's milk that old Winthrop used to put outside his door every evening for the dust demons. He said the dust demons could never resist goat's milk, and that they would always drink themselves into a stupor and then be too tired to enter his room..
Volunteer Moderator
Online Content
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Count Turnipsome
Self restraint argument is the perfect excuse not to fix a broken game.

I would say rather it helps prioritise what most needs fixing.

For example, can I avoid broken stealth by not using it? Well yes, but often only by denying myself the ability to use stealth in ways that should be valid. I can’t just avoid the broken bits without severely impacting my ability to use stealth at all.

Can I avoid multiple levelled spells per turn, shove and thrown potions just by ignoring these options? Well, mainly I can, without significant impact on my ability to do what I should be able to. BUT I can still be negatively affected by enemies and NPCs using these mechanics.

Can I avoid potentially exploitable mechanics like barrelmancy, sending to camp, teleporting, infinite long resting, magic pockets? Yes, I can just not use these in ways I consider cheesy and not be negatively affected at all.

I’m not saying that I wouldn’t prefer everything I don’t like in the game to be fixed, but thinking about what I can avoid and how far just by self-imposing some additional rules helps me choose which hills to die on!

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
veteran
veteran
Another issue with the self restraint argument that I have is that it assumes that all or even most players will be able to adequately identify what specific things in the game they don't like. I personally am not very observant when it comes to mechanics. They're just stuff thats there to do until I get to the story, often times. When I played DOS2 I couldn't identify why I didn't enjoy the game, it was just a vague something. I don't have any trouble believing that plenty of players won't be able to diagnose specific things that make the game feel bad or off, and so won't be able to pick specific things to not do. They'll just see "Well the game let's me do this so I guess it's how it's supposed to work." And that's especially an issue when there are so many things that would ask for self restraint, something that most games don't ask for, since they don't tend to include an excess of mechanics that are so easily broken.

And I'm not saying most players will be dumb or anything like that. But we jn the forum are a self-selected group who have gone into the game actively intending to dissect it and put it under a microscope. Most players aren't going to go to those le gths because why would they? The game should work properly.

veteran
veteran
I love the change they have made that lets you cast a leveled BA spell and a leveled action spell in the same turn. I like having more things to do on one turn as well as having more magic BA options. Spells such as Misty Step and Healing Word are not so powerful that they would need to be limited in that way.

I am also fine with how Quicken works in BG3. If they do change it, I hope they make it work differently from RAW. I would never use Quicken for something such as dash or for a cantrip (I have no plans to multiclass into warlock), so changing it to RAW would mean I would never use it.

Last edited by Icelyn; 10/01/23 03:01 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard