Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Elshessan
Totally agree! And it’s a shame since I really like Raphael and I expected something more cunning from him.
I thought him to be the kind of devil able to manoeuvre you into a situation where you simply can’t say no anymore, but this is not the case. The crown is simply too important and by the time Raphael offers his deal, there are too many options on the table to avoid the deal altogether. And it makes Raphael look incompetent and weak. As things currently stand Mizora does a way better job imho. At least there is some emotional impact when refusing the deal she offers Wyll. When refusing Raphael's deal I just thought: “Thanks for the info buddy, so nice of you to share, see you later.” Just out of the door I could tell Lae’zel: “Let’s go steal it!”

Either the deal is offered way earlier, when you don’t have all the information yet or the deal needs to include something more meaningful.
Personally, I would love if the deal still included the tadpoles. I would appreciate it if Larian would link serious consequences to tadpole consumption and give the player a better incentive to use them. Why not make tadpole consumption plot relevant instead of just a cool ingame feature? In order to advance in certain areas, Illithid powers are practically required. There should still be a way to avoid them to allow player choice, but it could be so difficult that the tadpoles would seem the best and simpler option.

Once you reach act 3, the full consequences of your action could be revealed to you. Ceremorphosis could be unstoppable at this point, even if you destroy the elder brain. And then Raphael can come in, making his offer (removal of the tadpoles or preventing ceremorphosis) to save your day. This would offer some real incentive (at least for me).
What I would like even more: the cut content where origin characters could decide on their own if they want to accept Illithid powers or not. It would mean your whole party could be at stake or at least several of them. Maybe you resisted but your love interest did not. Would make for some lovely camp discussions and could even be used to turn a companion against you at the last minute if you refuse the deal.

That sounds real juicy! I'd have a *real* dilemma at that point for sure haha.

Add to it an ending where keeping the crown for yourself gives you real agency, not becoming Absolute's copy/slave/vessel/whatever-the-heck-that-was-meant-to-portray, and even an evil/powerhungry character might get a moment of "well fuck, what now?" about their plan for world domination :P

Last edited by Reverie; 26/08/23 01:00 PM.
A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
Raphael does not want your soul because raphael is NOT A CAMBION]. HE IS AN ARCHE DEVIL. Cambions have 80-100 health. Raphael has 666 which is the Call sign number for mephesto. If you check the portal room, and Raphael chamber you can put the two together as the PC will say 'Raphael must be powerful to sneak into mephesto layer undetected'. Now Raphael says he wants the crown to win the blood war, and knowing that maphesto is known for playing weak to trick enemies- does the same in wotr- it is obvious it is him. The romance in the house of hope implies Raphael is lying to you about his real name*.

old hand
old hand
Raphael is not Mephistopheles. Mephistopheles had the crown to begin with. He's the one who took it and squirreled it away in his vaults. To get it, Gortash and his allies broke into those vaults. The House of Hope is an entirely different place.

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A

quote=Tarlonniel]Raphael is not Mephistopheles. Mephistopheles had the crown to begin with. He's the one who took it and squirreled it away in his vaults. To get it, Gortash and his allies broke into those vaults. The House of Hope is an entirely different place.[/quote]

Your right. He did seal it, but that would be years before the game. It actually adds proof to my theory. If mephesto lost the crown to the dead 3, he may attempt to use us to get it back, withers does the same thing to some extent. He is a God. No reason to suspect otherwise for raphael

Last edited by The Red Queen; 26/08/23 03:10 PM. Reason: Added spoiler tags
M
M
Originally Posted by AusarViled

quote=Tarlonniel]Raphael is not Mephistopheles. Mephistopheles had the crown to begin with. He's the one who took it and squirreled it away in his vaults. To get it, Gortash and his allies broke into those vaults. The House of Hope is an entirely different place.

Your right. He did seal it, but that would be years before the game. It actually adds proof to my theory. If mephesto lost the crown to the dead 3, he may attempt to use us to get it back, withers does the same thing to some extent. He is a God. No reason to suspect otherwise for raphael
[/quote]

No.

Raphael is Mephistopheles's son. It's explicit in the Outro if he gets the Crown.

But there are other less explicit hints:
* Personality doesn't fit
* M has a big ass Citadel, not a relatively small house
* Raphael is far too weak, 666 hit points notwithstanding

I haven't finished the game yet, so maybe I'm missing some information, but I absolutely do not trust
The Emperor, and I do know enough about Orpheus to know that he's not going to attempt to mind control me at any point. The only reason I don't unequivocally free Orpheus right now is that he might interfere with my world domination plans later.

That said, Raphael still comes across as laughably incompetent. I did enjoy all the dialogue options to poke at him for why puny mortals accomplished all the stuff he's been trying to do for millennia.

F
F
Stop, so you are telling me
Raph CANNOT remove the tadpoles? lol, what's the point then, glad I've smashed the bastard in his own house, robbing him and killing his lover beforehand woehoe

I
old hand
old hand
I
Originally Posted by Faust-RSI
Stop, so you are telling me
Raph CANNOT remove the tadpoles? lol, what's the point then, glad I've smashed the bastard in his own house, robbing him and killing his lover beforehand woehoe
That was

Probably changed when they made tadpoles into a powerup system instead of the double edged sword they were before. According to dataminers Raphael could initially remove the tadpole. But now there is no reason to remove it as it is strictly positive.

Last edited by Ixal; 28/08/23 04:27 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard