Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
A
I know meta magic is not a D&D thing but I found it quite fun in pathfinder, albeit in those games the power scaling is very different. We ain't killing gods here. So I reworked these ideas to make them viable for our current adventure path / power.

1) Heighten Magic: without mythic power giving you the ability to be a God, lifting level 1 spells to lvl 10 is broken. But being able to do the opposites may be possible. So I propose Dampen Magic: cast a spell at a -1 level. I propose this reduces spells power by 1 category. Or 10% whatever is higher

2) Reach Magic: we already have eagle eye in 5th edition. Make it work with spells.

3)Selective Metamagic: not op. Just make it cost +2 spell levels over pathfinder +1. To avoid more cheese.

4) Maximize: no chance way to op. Unless it's +3

5) Element: convert: reduce Magic damage by 50% if any element-75÷ if element is force.

What do you think about it

enthusiast
enthusiast
Metamagic is in the game, it's a Sorcerer class feature. You use Sorcery points to fuel Metamagic.

1. Heighten Spell: Gives the target disadvantage on the saving throw of a spell you cast.

2. Distant Spell: Increase the range of a spell.

3. Careful Spell: Makes allies automatically succeed on the saving throw of a spell you cast.

4. Empowered Spell (Not in the game yet): You can re-roll damage dice equal to your Charisma modifier.

5. Transmute Spell (Not in the game, added in an expansion book, may never be in the game): Alters energy type, but you can't choose force.

The game also has Quicken spell,Twinned Spell, and at least one other Metamagic, I can't remember at the moment.

veteran
veteran
Metamagic is very much a D&D thing - and it was a D&D thing long before it was ever a pathfinder thing ^.^

In 5e, it's available to sorcerers as one of their core class features, and also in a more minor way to others by way of a feat.

Originally Posted by PHB, Classes, Sorcerer
Metamagic

At 3rd level, you gain the ability to twist your spells to suit your needs. You gain two of the following Metamagic options of your choice. You gain another one at 10th and 17th level.

You can use only one Metamagic option on a spell when you cast it, unless otherwise noted.

Careful Spell

When you cast a spell that forces other creatures to make a saving throw, you can protect some of those creatures from the spell’s full force. To do so, you spend 1 sorcery point and choose a number of those creatures up to your Charisma modifier (minimum of one creature). A chosen creature automatically succeeds on its saving throw against the spell.

Distant Spell

When you cast a spell that has a range of 5 feet or greater, you can spend 1 sorcery point to double the range of the spell.

When you cast a spell that has a range of touch, you can spend 1 sorcery point to make the range of the spell 30 feet.

Empowered Spell

When you roll damage for a spell, you can spend 1 sorcery point to reroll a number of the damage dice up to your Charisma modifier (minimum of one). You must use the new rolls.

You can use Empowered Spell even if you have already used a different Metamagic option during the casting of the spell.

Extended Spell

When you cast a spell that has a duration of 1 minute or longer, you can spend 1 sorcery point to double its duration, to a maximum duration of 24 hours.

Heightened Spell

When you cast a spell that forces a creature to make a saving throw to resist its effects, you can spend 3 sorcery points to give one target of the spell disadvantage on its first saving throw made against the spell.

Quickened Spell

When you cast a spell that has a casting time of 1 action, you can spend 2 sorcery points to change the casting time to 1 bonus action for this casting.

Subtle Spell

When you cast a spell, you can spend 1 sorcery point to cast it without any somatic or verbal components.

Twinned Spell

When you cast a spell that targets only one creature and doesn’t have a range of self, you can spend a number of sorcery points equal to the spell’s level to target a second creature in range with the same spell (1 sorcery point if the spell is a cantrip).

In later books, further Metamagics were added:

Seeking Spell

If you make an attack roll for a spell and miss, you can spend 2 sorcery points to reroll the d20, and you must use the new roll.
You can use Seeking Spell even if you have already used a different Metamagic option during the casting of the spell.

Transmuted Spell

When you cast a spell that deals a type of damage from the following list, you can spend 1 sorcery point to change that damage type to one of the other listed types: acid, cold, fire, lightning, poison, thunder.

The resource Sorcerers spend to use their Metamagic is Sorcery Points, of which a Sorcerer has a number equal to their sorcerer level, which recharge by long rest. They can also trade sorcery points for spell slots and vice-versa, as part of their flexible casting feature, but this is at a heavy loss rate - you gain sorcery points equal to the level of the spell slot you convert, but it costs more to make spell slots back with them (2 for a 1st, 3 for a 2nd, 5 for a 3rd, 6 for a 4th and 7 for a 5th; you cannot make spells lots higher than 5th)

G
addict
addict
G
Metamagic will be awesome if they allow you to manually select your targets for Twinned Spell and not have to worry about them being close in proximity. Twinned Haste isn't as appealing because you need the right initiative order and things to go your way to set it up.

A
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
A
I was unaware that it was a part of D&D as i never seen it in any of the games that i played- and i played a lot, albeit it seems to be limited to sorcery? In pathfinder you can use it with all builds which may be why i am confused. So when I suggesting it i am suggesting it for all classes not just caster. Some examples of the ones i would want to try, but would not be able to do? Taking 3 in sorcery is out of the question if BG3 only has like 14 levels. I want them in feats.

Selective:

Eg: Cleric of death domain: Mass inflict injury is not usable without selective meta magic. Yes arguably op
Eg: Bard: Cloud of Daggers: Arguably OP, but situationally useful
Eg: Power Word- Slumber / Sleep: Putting your own team mates to sleep always causes me to throw a fit of rage

Heighten:
Warlock: I would want to use heighten spell on eldritch blast, being able to blast your enemies 90M seems fun as all hell
Paladin / Oathbreaker / vindicitive bastard: Smite or channel energy for healing / dmg.
Druid: Sickening entanglement or Sharp stones

veteran
veteran
@OP This Feat might partially be what you want.

Unfortunately, it only provides 2 sorcery points (so you can't use Heighten or Twin a spell level above 2nd) and the sorcery points recharge on long rest, so you can only use one or two metamagic abilities per day. Additionally, this Feat is from a non-PHB source book, so it's unlike to be in BG3.

Your best bet is mods, as changing metamagic to be available to everyone via making spells cost higher spell slots is probably too much of a change (and too niche, tbh) for Larian.

A
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
A
That is actually really helpful for maybe modding. Not sure how easy it is, but adding a single feat should be quite do able, so maybe eventually i will commission someone to do it- if they do not do it for free.

P
addict
addict
P
Originally Posted by AusarViled
Heighten:
Warlock: I would want to use heighten spell on eldritch blast, being able to blast your enemies 90M seems fun as all hell

You want the Eldritch Spear invocation, which Larian haven't put in game yet.

But you're thinking too small. After taking Eldritch Spear, you can mod in the feat for metamagic, and use distant spell to double that range to 600 feet.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by AusarViled
I was unaware that it was a part of D&D as i never seen it in any of the games that i played- and i played a lot, albeit it seems to be limited to sorcery?

Yeah, Pathfinder grew out of 3/3.5, in which metamagic were all independent feats that you could take on any caster that met the requirements. They were stackable, and brutally strong, and the increased spell level limitation wasn't enough of a rein on them - even quicken, which had, I think, a 3 level increase spell modifier, was still quite broken even with that adjustment (spells scaled with your caster level, so using haste and quicken let you cast 4 large 3rd or 4th level AoEs in a turn, but they all scaled up much stronger than their base level innately, once you were casting them as a high level character - it was obscene).

By 5e, more restrictions were put in place to limit that massive burn potential, but they were over-zealous with some of the rules, applying them universally, when it was only specifically the quicken metamagic that needed the consideration, once haste was adjusted as well.

I'd like it if the metamagic feat was repeatable - so that a wizard who wanted to gain all of the metamagic options they liked could spend feat value to get them.

addict
addict
problem with Metamagic is that is now sorcerer only thing, shity if you ask me but what can you do.

They had to do something to make sorcerer a full class , right?

i think it would be better to just scrap those. We have too many charisma casters now.

This is why i like the classic video gaming approach they combined wizzards and sorcerers and just called them mages as it should be. smile

edit:
Do you really need a class that does basically the same thing?

one needs to learn it and the other doesn't, like what is that lol

Last edited by Lastman; 11/01/23 02:55 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Lastman

For the same reason we have six classes that basically just hit things; nuance.

Sorcerers and Wizards are very different, and moreso now than they've ever been.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Niara
Originally Posted by Lastman

For the same reason we have six classes that basically just hit things; nuance.

Sorcerers and Wizards are very different, and moreso now than they've ever been.
nah the whole sorcerers doens't sit well with me they both use the same type of magic any they both have to learn how to use it simple as that so they both have the gift.

As far as i know Sorcerers need to learn things just as any other character... or maybe they are born with gift of walking and talking as well?:) like i said just one class in truth so they had to give it something to set the two apart. anyway it is what it is, not a big deal, but that doesnt mean i have to like it...

Last edited by Lastman; 11/01/23 06:25 AM.
veteran
veteran
Well, at least you demonstrate that you truly have no real understanding of the subject matter ^.^ It's no wonder the differences between the two are lost on you, if you know so little about them.

Are you interested in learning more and expanding your understanding of the differences? You're basically incorrect on every phrase you just said, and I'd be happy to help you learn something new, if you're willing.

Link Copied to Clipboard