Originally Posted by 1varangian
Barbarians routinely stocking up on Greater Invisibility scrolls at the magic shop in Baldur's Gate? Absolutely not.

I actually want 5e strictly to the letter on this one. No splashing 1 level into Wizard multiclass to cast those Greater Invisibility scrolls without a chance of failure, either.

I also don't want to see a Wand of Fireballs to be free for all. Requires attunement by a Spellcaster. Attunement needs to be a thing. This is not an ARPG where you are a magical christmas tree.

Yes, this actually is true. I assume that "strictly 5e" also means that other spellcaster classes, instead of combat classes, cannot use or hoard Greater Invisibility scrolls without being penalized. Otherwise, a Bard would just hoard Greater Invisibility scrolls instead of a Barbarian and always just cast it on the Barbarian, which would then just be shifting the problem around...

Originally Posted by Seraphael
In that case, I'd like Extra Attacks, Action Surge, and Rage for my wimpy Sorcerer. I don't really care whether I get this by scrolls or magic items, I'm easy! The advantage is that Martial classes don't have to use scrolls or pick magic items with such properties. It's only fair!

Oh, we should absolutely "get hung up on this" as this kinda breaks the game in fundamental ways. D&D is built around class diversity/identity after all. If you honestly want a "flexible class" so much, you play a Bard which is a versatile jack of all trades, but master of none. Eldritch Knight, Paladin, or numerous multiclass builds can all become a magical fighter - but you always pay for your versatility with slower high level power progression or less specialization depth. It' s called balance and it's generally a good thing to strive for, cause when every class can do everything on top of the already too numerous and somewhat conflicting systems - you end up with a bland, complex mess of a game which can't even be saved by its obvious great roleplaying potential. This issue even extends to spellcasters getting a much too liberal amount of scrolls.

Don't worry, I'm sure there will be plenty of mods that will turn you into an overpowered demi-god. Please don't advocate for breaking the game for the rest of us.

Yes, the way you explained it, I agree with you. I really was thinking too short-sightet. I just need to be patient until Level 13 (Use Magic Device), if it even gets that far. Mods? Nah, just a party extender would be neat.... As long as Larian gets the pathing right for the elevators or the boat at the Underdark if they don't increase the party size themselve.

Last edited by Lotus Noctus; 16/01/23 06:18 AM.