I rather enjoy the dice rolling in character creation, but then I also don't overdo it. What I actually greatly disliked in BG1 was the damn skill books dropping all over the place and magic items boosting your stats to 18, etc. Just like the ogre item...it's hard to keep myself from using it, and hard to not consider it when creating a character with point buy. I mean, why put points into something if you know you're going to be able too boost it 10 minutes from now?

I'm just starting to roll custom characters for Solasta, and I find the rolling very enjoyable. But again, I only rolled for about 2-3 minutes until I got one 18 and the rest were 12-16. That's WAY good enough as far as I'm concerned.

The real fun of rolling would be if you roll a character with something like 18, 18, 18, 9, 8, 6. Then you get to make the decision if you want to have a super physical fighter that's dumb as a stump, etc. Because those characters are FUN TO PLAY!

If players would actually put some role playing back into RPGs they might realize this.