Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by pachanj
Wizards removed all reference to alignment in official lore and race.

No, they haven't. The section I quoted in the other thread, is, specifically, the section that talks about alignment and its very real presence and impact in the realms, still absolutely there and absolutely real, post second sundering. It's right there, in the handbook, in clear print. they removed *specific alignment requirements* from classes and races for player characters - that's not the same thing as removing alignment from 5e, which is what you've been claiming. Alignment is not gone from the realms, at all.

the requirement for them was removed. [...] Wizards removed alignment in 5e.

These two statements are not synonyms. They mean different things. One of them is provisionally true if it is taken to mean that the requirements for specific alignments was removed from player character class and race choices... the other is entirely false... as the quoted passage from the PHB linked in the other thread spells out.

It is not part of character creation.

Yes, it is:

Originally Posted by PHB, Chapter 1 (character creation), Step-by-Step characters, Section 4, Describe your character
"Using the information in the chapter 4 "Personality and Background," you can flesh out your character’s physical appearance and personality traits. Choose your character’s alignment (the moral compass that guides his or her decisions) and ideals. Chapter 4 also helps you identify the things your character holds most dear, called bonds, and the flaws that could one day undermine him or her."

Choosing your alignment is absolutely a part of character creation as laid out in the 5e handbook. It is 100% still something that the handbook tells you to do when creating a character.

Whether you like it or not, alignment is not just some moral concept in Forgotten Realms, it is a literal physical cosmic entity that guides and shapes reality.

Yes, that's what we're saying - and it still is in 5e... as the passages quoted from the 5e PHB, about how it is a very tangible and real thing in the realms, illustrate.

In fact, I find your insistence on ad hominem approaches to discourse pathetic.

No-one in this thread has directed any kind of ad hominem towards you; pointing out where your statements are incorrect is not an attack on your person or your right to feel the way you feel about how things should be.

Last edited by Niara; 30/01/23 07:58 AM.
F
addict
addict
F
I'm fine with paladins choosing deities or not.

Their powers are divine, that's a given. It's not clear to me if gods are the spring of divinity or draw first from the spring.

The fact that in FR there's an over deity, Ao, and that gods come and go, suggest that gods are more custodians of portfolios.

Now back to paladins. Following say Tyr and swearing an oath of devotion to what Tyr embodies. That ticks both boxes. Though in a world with music magic, oath powers makes sense in itself. Then we have the no-deity paladin who just swears an oath of devotion to behaviour aligned to Tyr? Well, the divine power flows through them just the same.

In the background to all this, polytheism in the norm in FR. I'd imagine normal households maintain several little relics, idols and rituals to various gods. Choosing one single deity is the exception, and is the mark of a cleric.

Likewise, I'm okay with 2000gp to restore fallen status.

First up, if you don't rob traders or sell to traders you know you'll later kill, that 2k is a big chunk of your wealth. The noble background calls that a dragon hoard and awards inspiration. In a non-thieving playthrough I think I gathered 6k total throughout.

Secondly the Oathbreaker ties that amount to a dead or alive bounty that was placed on him. What price is a life? A soul? Withers asked that question. Oathbreaker says it's a dragon hoard. I'm sure this theme will come up again and again. That some players say it's too much or too little plays around with this unresolved question.

Last edited by FreeTheSlaves; 30/01/23 08:53 AM.
P
addict
addict
P
If people are referring to the errata regarding alignment in the PHB, it wasn't removed wholesale, and anyone who told you that is either mistaken, or wanted you to get outraged. They removed the alignment from the racial traits only.

The PHB errata on alignment is as follows:

Character Details
[New] Alignment (p. 122). In the description of each alignment, the final sentence has been replaced as shown below.

Lawful Good. “Gold dragons and paladins are typically lawful good.”
Neutral Good. “Many celestials are neutral good.”
Chaotic Good. “Copper dragons and unicorns are typically chaotic good.”
Lawful Neutral. “Modrons and many wizards and monks are lawful neutral.”
Neutral. “Druids are traditionally neutral, as are typical townsfolk.”
Chaotic Neutral. “Many rogues and bards are chaotic neutral.”
Lawful Evil. “Devils and blue dragons are typically lawful evil.”
Neutral Evil. “Yugoloths are typically neutral evil.”
Chaotic Evil. “Demons and red dragons are typically chaotic evil.”

[New] Alignment in the Multiverse (p. 122). The first three paragraphs have been replaced with the following:
For many thinking creatures, alignment is a moral choice. Humans, dwarves, elves, and other people can choose whether to follow the paths of good or evil, law or chaos. According to myth, the gods who created these folk gave them free will to choose their moral paths.
Alignment is an essential part of the nature of celestials and fiends. Both types of creatures are associated with metaphysical planes of existence—specifically the Outer Planes—that embody certain alignments. For example, most devils hail from the Nine Hells, a plane of lawful evil. A devil does not choose to be lawful evil or tend toward lawful evil, but rather it is lawful evil in its essence. If it somehow ceases to be lawful evil, it changes into something new—a transformation worthy of legend.

This errata is from 2021, not others have been released yet, so it is current.

Last edited by Piff; 30/01/23 09:04 AM.
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
I think Larian has enough on their plate coding Clerics as worshiping specific deities without adding everyone else to the mix. Sure, you get a little thing that says you worship Ghaunadaur - God of slime and Ooze - but honestly do we need them to create custom dialogue to support all that?

Yes, I agree it’s a nice to have rather than essential to be able to specify a deity for every character (which is why I said what I said, rather than what Ragnarok “fixed” my post to smile).

That said, while deities are essential to clerics, they can also be fundamental to (some) paladins and monks and not having the character creation option and dialogue to reflect this would, I think, lead to a much poorer roleplaying experience for these classes. And the incremental work shouldn’t be huge as likely they could share much of the deity-specific dialogue of clerics of the same god.

Deities can also be important to druids and rangers, though with those it’s easier to get away with generic nature-loving stuff, so while I’d still like to see optional deities with a scattering of suitable dialogue for them, it’s lower priority for me.

For everyone else, I guess it wouldn’t be too tricky to just let us pick a deity in character creation for flavour, but that then might lead to disappointment if it’s not reflected in the game, and I agree reflecting it in the game without undermining the specific divine connections of some classes could fairly quickly become onerous. Personally, I’m okay with picking (at least one level of) one of the classes that has such a divine connection if I particularly want to roleplay a character to whom devotion to a deity is important.

EDIT: Also, with respect to the full list of deities offered, I’m torn. I can see an argument for keeping it to a shorter list that have some specific content/dialogue options in the context of the plot. But I still feel that I’d prefer the list to be more comprehensive, to give us the flexibility to play whatever character we like, even if that means there are many gods who give little or nothing in the way of additional cleric/paladin/whatever deity-specific options and we just get generic class stuff. Personally, though, I’d probably choose to roleplay divine casters with connections to deities who play a significant role in the story, but without some indication of which they might be as part of character creation admittedly that would involve some meta gaming.

Last edited by The_Red_Queen; 30/01/23 03:31 PM.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
Odieman Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Niara
Originally Posted by Odieman
I strongly disagree,

You're free to have your own feelings on the matter, but you're not disagreeing with me - I'm just explaining how the rules and the lore current works in 5e; it's factual to the current 5e lore. Open and shut. Other threads have discussed this at great length, and I'd recommend you take a look in at those so we don't repeat ourselves ad nauseum. You can say you don't like the rules and lore as written, and that you don't think that the 5e lore for the realms post second sundering makes sense to your sensibilities - but you're disagreeing with the system and the lore itself when you say that. The way things work in the realms literally changed after the second sundering, and they work differently now - one of those differences is that the deities are more hands off and they channel their power, and the power of their folios in many more subtle ways. That's just how it is currently.

It's okay to have in your mind, personally, what you think a certain thing 'should' be - and you can even play that way at your table - but if the folks who write the lore write about the way it changes, and you don't want to acknowledge that or move with it, they aren't the ones who are 'wrong' or 'going mad' - you're just going off book because it makes yo happier to disregard the lore and adopt your own. That's fine, it's great, but you're not in a position to act like your definitions are meaningful to anyone but you, or that they are 'proper' or 'correct' - they're not. If you don't like the present day lore and how it's spun, you don't need to use or engage with it, but you can't expect the world to follow you in that - it's your choice, and yours alone. The lore, as you posit, is not, in fact, on your side here - not in the present day realms of 5e, post second sundering.

Like I said, go have a look at the other threads about this - the discussion goes into great detail about the changes, how they work, and how the lore works now; it makes a lot more sense than you're giving it credit for, but anything I say to that tune here and now would just be repeating a discussion that has already happened in great depth elsewhere on the forums.

Here you go, have some humble pie.

SCAG Page 39. Torm: "... Considering these Tenets, it should be no surprise that most Human PALADINS have Torm as their patron"

SCAG page 40. Tyr. ".. Such knights, as well as judges and priests, Clerics, and PALADINS who worship Tyr..."

SCAG Paladins page 131. "...When such a warrior also has great devotion to a particular deity, that god can reward the faithful with a measure of divine power, making that person a Paladin"..

Oh and Hhere is the REAL kicker, rdy? SCAG page 132 below virtues: "MOST Paladins in the forgotten realms, like clerics, are devoted to a particular deity. The most common paladin deities.... ... Torm and Tyr are both popular deities for paladins..."

SCAG Page 132: Order of Samular "When tyr fell silent the Paladins in his service lost their powers. But the knights of Samular stayed true to Tyr. Their patience was recently rewarded when, upon Tyrs return to the world, many of their dwindling number were invested with the powers of a paladin.

I havent even touched on other books so far other than Sword coast adventurers guide (which is basically 50% a lore book, 50% a rulebook). Curious that you havent read that one, you seemed so damn sure of yourself. I think I have made my point, or do you still beg to differ???"!??!?

But offcourse you are welcome to have your own personal opinion on the matter, how you play in your homegame is your business. I am just explaining to you how the LORE works............

Here are some more if your still in denial, but honestly if you still are, I cant help you...

Paladins use Holy symbols as a Spell Focus. They are referred to as holy warriors in several of the books.

What about all the temples dotted around the place, or more to the point knightly orders or paladin orders dedicated to gods? Order of Samular being one. They are referred to as worshiping Tyr and a few others. Same goes for Order of the Gauntlet, where members are referred to as usually worshiping Torm, Helm or Tyr if memory serves. (Hoard of the Dragon queen source among others).

Need more? SCAG page 20. Religious institutions. "...Indeed, the power invested in Clerics and OTHER divine spellcasters by the gods..."

Just thought of something else. What if you choose the Acolyte Background, are you still saying paladins who have that background dont worship a deity?

Last edited by Odieman; 30/01/23 04:09 PM.

"They say he who smelt it dealt it."
Sooo technically... this burnt corpse is your fault officer."

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Here we go, get ready to eat your words and eat some humble pie … SCAG page 132 below virtues: "MOST Paladins in the forgotten realms, like clerics, are devoted to a particular deity.

Err, I’m sure Niara can and will speak for herself but you might want to rethink your post as your quotes don’t in any way disprove anything she has said and if anything support her argument over what initially appeared to be yours. She has never denied that some, or even most, paladins follow one or more deities, only clarified that not all do and that there is an in-universe explanation of this.

If, however, you are not in fact claiming that every paladin must have a deity then I don’t think there’s any substantive point of difference to be argued about.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
Odieman Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by The_Red_Queen
[quote=Blackheifer]

That said, while deities are essential to clerics, they can also be fundamental to (some) paladins and monks and not having the character creation option and dialogue to reflect this would, I think, lead to a much poorer roleplaying experience for these classes. And the incremental work shouldn’t be huge as likely they could share much of the deity-specific dialogue of clerics of the same god.

Most Paladins, not some smile

SCAG page 132 below virtues: "MOST Paladins in the forgotten realms, like clerics, are devoted to a particular deity."

As for Powers. This sentence below refers to devoted warriors (ideals and oaths).
SCAG Paladins page 131. "...When such a warrior also has great devotion to a particular deity, that god can reward the faithful with a measure of divine power, making that person a Paladin"..

Odieman Offline OP
OP Offline
Err, I’m sure Niara can and will speak for herself but you might want to rethink your post as your quotes don’t in any way disprove anything she has said and if anything support her argument over yours. She has never denied that some, or even most, paladins follow one or more deities, only clarified that not all do and that there is an in-universe explanation of this.

No I dont think I will.
If someone wants to talk down to me and try to belittle my view/playstyle as somehow inferior, homebrew, or Most importantly NON Canon, by using the back of their hand. When they are actually talking out of their ass, then they deserve a barb or two in return.

Last edited by Odieman; 30/01/23 04:16 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
while deities are essential to clerics, they can also be fundamental to (some) paladins and monks and not having the character creation option and dialogue to reflect this would, I think, lead to a much poorer roleplaying experience for these classes.

Most Paladins, not some smile

Sure. I only added the qualification to indicate “not all”, but happy to accept “most” would be a better word than “some” in this context.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Err, I’m sure Niara can and will speak for herself but you might want to rethink your post as your quotes don’t in any way disprove anything she has said and if anything support her argument over yours. She has never denied that some, or even most, paladins follow one or more deities, only clarified that not all do and that there is an in-universe explanation of this.

No I dont think I will.
If someone wants to talk down to me and try to belittle my view/playstyle as somehow inferior, homebrew, or Most importantly NON Canon, by using the back of their hand. When they are actually talking out of their ass, then they deserve a barb or two in return.

Ohhhkay. I think your “barbs” critical miss and you’ve misunderstood what Niara has been saying, but it’s your choice.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z

No I dont think I will.
People do many things which are not canon. And that doesn't make it inferior or lesser. It just makes it not line up with WoTC's current corporate vision. Saying a particular viewpoint goes against the most recent established setting is not the same thing as belittling. It is just pointing out that it is not a binding rule for official properties.
Both paladins and druids use divine magic, yet no one is demanding druids must also have gods? The reason seems to be, as I mentioned in my previous post on this topic, and as FreeTheSlaves mentions as well, Druids and Paladins are capable of drawing on Divine Magic not through a particular patron, but through particular portfolios allotted to those patrons. Druids would draw on the portfolios of relevant nature deities, while Paladins would draw on divine magic from the portfolios of relevant oath-aligned deities.
The "most" claim you are making is not the point you think it is. Logically speaking, "most" would imply a large proportion of paladins, but not all, so ∃ (there exists). If your source said ALL, then we could use the universal quantifier ∀ (such that ALL). If it says "most," then it does not imply that paladins which do not follow gods cannot exist. In fact, it implies that there likely ARE some paladins which do not follow gods.

Last edited by Zerubbabel; 30/01/23 04:27 PM.

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
Odieman Offline OP
OP Offline
Ofc not, if anything Id say the contrary. I have plenty of Homebrew in my campaign (Im a DM but also a player). I mix canon/Lore with my own. The thing is I stated something was official lore/canon, (which it still is), he matter of factly dismissed that claim based on what he "knew" was official lore. Hence why I got triggered, because he was so obviously wrong.

If most Paladins follow/worship a deity, (at least some, maybe many being given powers/being uplifted to Paladin by that deity). Then its quite reasonable to say that just about all the paladins who follow a deity are given their powers from that deity. They are tied to an oath, if they break that oath, then those powers can be taken away. Who takes them away? The deity they follow naturally. Ofc, I will concede that the deity they worship might not be the only one feeding the powers. It might be the triad forexample as a whole (Pally worships 1 or all of them, and/but is given powers from all 3).

Last edited by Odieman; 30/01/23 04:46 PM.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Ofc not, if anything Id say the contrary. I have plenty of Homebrew in my campaign (Im a DM but also a player). I mix canon/Lore with my own. The thing is I stated something was official lore/canon, (which it still is), he matter of factly dismissed that claim based on what he "knew" was official lore. Hence why I got triggered, because he was so obviously wrong.

If most Paladins follow/worship a deity, (at least some, maybe many being given powers/being uplifted to Paladin by that deity). Then its quite reasonable to say that just about all the paladins who follow a deity are given their powers from that deity. They are tied to an oath, if they break that oath, then those powers can be taken away. Who takes them away? The deity they follow naturally. Ofc, I will concede that the deity they worship might not be the only one feeding the powers. It might be the triad forexample as a whole (Pally worships 1 or all of them, and/but is given powers from all 3).
It does make sense that those paladins which do swear oaths to particular deities would lose a significant portion of their power if they broke their faith to that deity.
I see a few efficient solutions:
See if all Cleric of X tag statements can simply be transferred to Paladin and still make sense. Have the paladin just be a holy warrior equivalent of cleric, or have no deity.
OR
See if we can slightly alter all "Cleric of X" tag statements to fit EVERYONE as "Follower of X," where anyone can choose to follow a God or be an atheist and get some power out of it. Then, if Druids or Paladins disrespect their god, they lose a special ability, but can still have power through nature and oaths as representing drawing on a group of portfolios without a specific god.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
The thing is I stated something was official lore/canon, (which it still is), he matter of factly dismissed that claim based on what he "knew" was official lore. Hence why I got triggered, because he was so obviously wrong.

If most Paladins follow/worship a deity, (at least some, maybe many being given powers/being uplifted to Paladin by that deity). Then its quite reasonable to say that just about all the paladins who follow a deity are given their powers from that deity.

I’m afraid Niara wasn’t wrong and your quotes don’t prove she was. The only claim you seemed to make that either she, or I, objected to was that every paladin needs to have a deity and that only paladins with deities are supported by the lore, and nothing else made sense. If this was a misunderstanding and you are not actually saying this, and accept that it is both within the rules and consistent with lore for some paladins (however rare) to not follow a god, then again there’s no substantive point of disagreement here. We would all agree that paladins ought to be able to specify a deity but should not be forced to, so that we can satisfyingly roleplay “normal” paladins but also give players who want to roleplay valid (if more uncommon) paladins who have different relationships to their divine power the option to do so.

As a reminder, this is how the debate started …

While Paladins in 5e, post Second Sundering do not need to worship any divinity directly in order to draw on divine power, and following a god is no longer necessary for a paladin at all, I absolutely support there being an option to tell the game what deity you do follow, if you follow one - the option must also allow a choice of no specific deity, however, as that's an equally valid choice in the setting in its present state.

Niara
I strongly disagree, it is absolutely necessary. I cant really think of any paladin Ive read about who didnt have a deity, on the other hand every Paladin, Paladin order etc I have seen mentioned are dedicated to a deity. In the case of Paladin orders, there are sometimes a mix of worship, but they all worship 1 deity. Just because WoTC have gone mad doesnt mean Larian should.

Odieman Offline OP
OP Offline
Zerrubabel, To me chosen oath and oath to a deity are connected. But I was actually referring to Oath of Devotion, ancients etc.

My point was if a paladin who worships a deity breaks that Oath, its probably that deity who takes those powers away. It Gets clunky when I try and explain it cos for my Paladins (player or dm) they actually swear 2/3 oaths. One of conviction/principle/goal (ancients etc) one to their god, and a general one to strive to uphold The Paladin virtues (scag).

Anyway back to BG3. Ive been playing past 2 days with a mod that basically copies Cleric deity list in character creation. Dialogue options are same as Cleric except it says Paladin «insert deity here». Just Even that implemented would be ok honestly. Would require near zero extra work as well. Heck a modder made it less than 2 days after patch 9 I believe. He/she did it perfectly and file size is miniscule. Its just copy paste from one class to another. Problem fixed (sort of).

I have also seen mods out there which gives that choice to all The classes.

As for Paladins in BG3 vanilla, other than deity, they need to explain The oaths more clearly in game. I.e what you can and cannot do. Right now you become an oathbreaker for attacking and killing a goblin torturer.

Last edited by Odieman; 30/01/23 05:26 PM.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Honestly if Paladins who don't follow Deities are an exception to the rule rather than the rule, not having the option feels kinda bizarre.

Last edited by Kou The Mad; 30/01/23 05:23 PM.
Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Zerrubabel, To me chosen oath and oath to a deity are connected. But I was actually referring to Oath of Devotion, ancients etc.

My point was if a paladin who worships a deity breaks that Oath, its probably that deity who tales those powers away. It Gets clunky when I try and explain it cos for my Paladins (player or dm) they actually swear 2/3 oaths. One of conviction/principle/goal (ancients etc) one to their god, and a general one to strive to uphold The Paladin virtues (scag).

Anyway back to BG3. Ive been playing past 2 days with a mod that basically copies Cleric deity list in character creation. Dialogue options are same as Cleric except it says Paladin «insert deity here». Just Even that implemented would be ok honestly. Would require near zero extra work as well. Heck a midder did it perfectly and file sine is miniscule. Its just copy paste from one class to another. Problem fixed (sort of).

They do need to explain The oaths more clearly in game though (what you can and cannot do). Right now you become an oathbreaker for attacking and killing a goblin torturer.

Then the solution is to borrow the Cleric's tags and have the following options:
"Paladin of X" Choose a deity, the characteristics of that oath makes you sponsored by that deity (not all deities are available for all oaths), and if you break the oath you break your connection to the deity. I'm not sure if you have to be "sworn" to the deity though. I think you are sworn to the terms of the oath, and the deity grants you power. More like a Divine Warlock than a cleric. You abide by the terms of the contract, not the whims of the deity.

"None," You follow your oath and your oath alone. Through this, you draw on the Divine Magic through many Divine Realms which overlap with the nature of your oath. Should you break your oath, this tenuous connection to the many realms would be shattered. (No Paladin of X tag included).

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
The thing is I stated something was official lore/canon, (which it still is), he matter of factly dismissed that claim based on what he "knew" was official lore. Hence why I got triggered, because he was so obviously wrong.

If most Paladins follow/worship a deity, (at least some, maybe many being given powers/being uplifted to Paladin by that deity). Then its quite reasonable to say that just about all the paladins who follow a deity are given their powers from that deity.

I’m afraid Niara wasn’t wrong and your quotes don’t prove she was. The only claim you seemed to make that either she, or I, objected to was that every paladin needs to have a deity and that only paladins with deities are supported by the lore, and nothing else made sense. If this was a misunderstanding and you are not actually saying this, and accept that it is both within the rules and consistent with lore for some paladins (however rare) to not follow a god, then again there’s no substantive point of disagreement here. We would all agree that paladins ought to be able to specify a deity but should not be forced to, so that we can satisfyingly roleplay “normal” paladins but also give players who want to roleplay valid (if more uncommon) paladins who have different relationships to their divine power the option to do so.

As a reminder, this is how the debate started …

While Paladins in 5e, post Second Sundering do not need to worship any divinity directly in order to draw on divine power, and following a god is no longer necessary for a paladin at all, I absolutely support there being an option to tell the game what deity you do follow, if you follow one - the option must also allow a choice of no specific deity, however, as that's an equally valid choice in the setting in its present state.

Niara
I strongly disagree, it is absolutely necessary. I cant really think of any paladin Ive read about who didnt have a deity, on the other hand every Paladin, Paladin order etc I have seen mentioned are dedicated to a deity. In the case of Paladin orders, there are sometimes a mix of worship, but they all worship 1 deity. Just because WoTC have gone mad doesnt mean Larian should.

Yeah... look, the paladin should have the option to have a deity, or not have a deity. It makes sense that if "most" paladins have deities, we should have the option. However, since WoTC owns the property and defines canon and makes it clear that paladins don't absolutely need to have deities, they should also have the option NOT to have deities. We are playing by the rules of the lore, which is ultimately set by WoTC, past AND present, so...
Most paladins have deities (past lore); however,
Paladins without deities can easily exist (present lore); therefore...
Paladins with and without deities should be available options.

In all fairness though, you couldn't even choose a deity in BG1+2 IIRC for either cleric OR paladin? So at least having a deity available for cleric is already a major improvement.

Last edited by Zerubbabel; 30/01/23 05:37 PM.

Odieman Offline OP
OP Offline
Most Paladins have deities still (check out SCAG page 131-132). Thats present lore.

Paladins who dont serve a specific deity still Get their power from deities btw, its Divine magic.

Also ppl who want to argue Rules as written and not as intended, heres one more.

Paladins have starting equipment: Holy Symbol
Paladins are granted spellcasting and other Divine powers at lvl 2.
Paladins swear an oath at lvl 3.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Most Paladins have deities still (check out SCAG page 131-132). Thats present lore.

Paladins who dont serve a specific deity still Get their power from deities btw, its Divine magic.

Also ppl who want to argue Rules as written and not as intended, heres one more.

Paladins have starting equipment: Holy Symbol
Paladins are granted spellcasting and other Divine powers at lvl 2.
Paladins swear an oath at lvl 3.
I'm not all that certain what you are arguing here. Maybe you can help clear it up with a yes or no answer to the following:
Do you think ALL paladins HAVE to be devoted to a specific deity NO MATTER WHAT and there CANNOT exist a Paladin which does not express devotion to a specific, named deity? (Meaning the option not to follow a deity should NOT exist?)

Last edited by Zerubbabel; 30/01/23 05:58 PM.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard