Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#843054 30/01/23 09:27 PM
Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
OP Offline
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
I know this isn't really necessary, but I want to know if anyone legitimately LIKES shove as it is now. And how that cohort compares to those who do not like it.

Shove
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 30/01/23 09:27 PM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
Zerubbabel #843056 30/01/23 09:42 PM
addict
addict
Yep, ideally I would prefer it RAW:
- full action (same for hide)
- target pushed 5 feet on success (depending on STR of the one shoving and the STR or DEX of the one being shoved)

Zerubbabel #843057 30/01/23 09:46 PM
old hand
old hand
Current shove is a sin repent Larian repentexclamation biggrin

Zerubbabel #843059 30/01/23 09:56 PM
Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
OP Offline
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
I thought about having a third option, "Make Shove Stronger," but I decided against it because I was worried people would pick it jokingly.

Zerubbabel #843060 30/01/23 10:50 PM
S
old hand
old hand
S
I'll be surprised if even one person pick the second option on that rhetorical poll.

Zerubbabel #843062 30/01/23 10:56 PM
veteran
veteran
Make Shove Great Again - I'll print up some hats....

Obviously it would be nice to add this to shield master - it does allow for a lot of goofy fun but also kind of takes away from my precious Thunderwave spell which i have to expend a slot to do stuff like this.

I'm on the fence...maybe this is a case of a toggle being a good thing. In this case a toggle for Hardcore RAW.

Blackheifer
snowram #843063 30/01/23 10:59 PM
Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
OP Offline
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by snowram
I'll be surprised if even one person pick the second option on that rhetorical poll.
Leading to a bunch of YouTube videos titled...
"CAN YOU BEAT BALDUR'S GATE 3 WITH ONLY SHOVE?!?! (GONE WRONG) (GONE SEXUAL) (IN THE HOOD) (WITH TWITCH CHAT) (AT 3AM)"

Zerubbabel #843065 30/01/23 11:09 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Hope dies last...:D

...but usually i does :P

Zerubbabel #843067 30/01/23 11:16 PM
veteran
veteran
I am fine with either option in the poll!

Zerubbabel #843089 31/01/23 01:44 AM
addict
addict
Nere shoving my Tav across the map into the lava sealed it for me… 😂 who needs spells when ya gots the power of yeet! While yoting your way around in the underdark.

Last edited by avahZ Darkwood; 31/01/23 01:47 AM.
Zerubbabel #843090 31/01/23 01:47 AM
addict
addict
Multiclass Thief with his two bonus actions with the Barbarian’s throw and that helm that grants an additional bonus action at 50%hp.

I shall call him “The Mad Juggler” 🤹‍♂️! ™️

For giggles I may have to try this one.

Last edited by avahZ Darkwood; 31/01/23 02:25 AM.
Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
OP Offline
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by avahZ Darkwood
Nere shoving my Tav across the map into the lava sealed it for me… 😂 who needs spells when ya gots the power of yeet! While yoting your way around in the underdark.
Baldur's Yate 3

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by avahZ Darkwood
Multiclass Thief with his two bonus actions with the Barbarian’s throw and that helm that grants an additional bonus action at 50%hp.

I shall call him “The Mad Juggler” 🤹‍♂️! ™️

For giggles I may have to try this one.

Well, do post a video...or better...do not...if larian laughs, they will never change it :P

Zerubbabel #843115 31/01/23 10:59 AM
veteran
veteran
Attack Action, isn't it? Not Full Action. So a 5th level Fighter in RAW can shove and attack, or shove twice.

That wouldn't be a problem if they would just cut the distance to a reasonable 5ft. You'd still need four shoves compared to what we have now.

Last edited by 1varangian; 31/01/23 11:00 AM.
1varangian #843133 31/01/23 12:13 PM
Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
OP Offline
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by 1varangian
Attack Action, isn't it? Not Full Action. So a 5th level Fighter in RAW can shove and attack, or shove twice.

That wouldn't be a problem if they would just cut the distance to a reasonable 5ft. You'd still need four shoves compared to what we have now.
I've been outed as a Pathfinder user. Please don't kill me.

Zerubbabel #843141 31/01/23 01:23 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Zerubbabel
Originally Posted by 1varangian

I've been outed as a Pathfinder user. Please don't kill me.
I've never played 5e. I read the rules because of BG3, but don't tell anyone. ,-)

Zerubbabel #843159 31/01/23 03:23 PM
S
S
I actually don't mind shove as a bonus action because it gives you a little more to do on your turn at low levels, especially if your main attack misses. I think it helps with the issue of some people getting frustrated when their attacks miss a lot. BUT I think the distance is too far. It's a great tactic to shove people off the edge of a cliff or ledge, but they don't need to go flying across the screen (as satisfying as that is lol).

sublimeclown #843164 31/01/23 03:35 PM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by sublimeclown
BUT I think the distance is too far. It's a great tactic to shove people off the edge of a cliff or ledge, but they don't need to go flying across the screen (as satisfying as that is lol).

Exactly bcs for this we have Thunderwave and probably other similiar upcoming spells / skills like Fist of Unbroken Air or Gust of Wind.

sublimeclown #843189 31/01/23 07:12 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by sublimeclown
I actually don't mind shove as a bonus action because it gives you a little more to do on your turn at low levels, especially if your main attack misses. I think it helps with the issue of some people getting frustrated when their attacks miss a lot. BUT I think the distance is too far. It's a great tactic to shove people off the edge of a cliff or ledge, but they don't need to go flying across the screen (as satisfying as that is lol).

Shove doesn't make sense as one "more things to do".
If they wants us to have more things to do with our bonus action, they should use them for weapons attacks.
Kind of fast "manoeuvers" that cost bonus action or slower/more complex manoeuvers that cost action+bonus action.

They could have also added a lot more common things to do... like throwing a rope to climb (consume bonus action + full movement so you can't climb after you throw it - just a suggestion to balance it).

The game doesn't have to look like a shove fest to give players more things to do.
This is a role playing game and what role playing game need is options / actions to play your role.
This kind of shove bonus action, as currently designed and balance, is not something someone would ever role play with because it wouldn't make any sense in any players minds.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 31/01/23 07:16 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
Zerubbabel #843196 31/01/23 07:39 PM
veteran
veteran
More things to do is probably Larian's reasoning as well. They're really pushing those Haste potions, turning Actions like Potions and Hide into Bonus Actions and designing items that give extra Bonus Actions.

As if it's somehow "bad" if you have an unused Bonus Action and that Shoving every turn is somehow "better".

The BA Healing Potions alone give Bonus Actions a good reason to exist even if you don't use one every single turn. Just by existing BA creates a dynamic with "fast" spells where you can cast a BA spell and Dash, or cast and Attack. It has it's purpose without turning the game into a stupid Shove fest where you Shove enemies every turn just because.

Again, BA is a 5e feature designed in a way that Larian thinks is wrong. And they tamper with the 5e system fixing what isn't broken, making a mess out of balance and tactical combat in the process. They can't even play the "video game" card here, because it's strictly a balance issue. They just prefer silly meme combat over tactical combat. And it's really annoying they are this stubborn with bad homebrew that people hate.

Last edited by 1varangian; 31/01/23 07:40 PM.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard