Originally Posted by The_Red_Queen
Originally Posted by Zerubbabel
Alright 5 Shove Defenders, explain yourselves.
For me, it’s not that I want multiple attacks per turn to be swapped for shoves. But if shove can properly be contested by athletics or acrobatics and its distance is nerfed (which I do think is necessary), I think it’s only going to be in very specific situations that either NPCs or my party are going to find it reasonable to try to shove multiple times per turn if they have Extra Attacks. And if something happens very rarely, but is very effective when it does, I think that can be great fun. Limiting shove to once per action, replacing just one attack if the character has more than one, has less opportunity for situational fun, but also less opportunity for situational frustration. So … I dunno :shrug:
My question for people more familiar with source material: Did Larian make it easier to succeed with shove? It feels like shove works more often than it doesn't, which is not my experience with Solasta.

If shove doesn't lead into instand death, outside some extreme cases, like very poor positioning, I don't think multi-use of it would be too detrimental. Even if enemies would attempt to use 3-5 shoves to kick you off the cliff, that is still 3-5 attacks full of damage they didn't roll against you. If push to prone were implemented, that one could push instead of attacking hoping for better rolls down the line. Solasta has "unlimited" shove - does anyone consider it a problem?

Howver, push needs to be a tactical alternative, not a dominant strategy. With push how it is now, I would even lean toward making shove consume attack action, period - you either get your multiattack, or you roll for an instant kill.