Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
W
veteran
veteran
W
Well I just put in my vote for Wyll. A character who seems to one thing but is really another is almost every DND character I play. 😂

I think his story has a lot of potential. He is hiding is true nature more than the other characters, and that makes him intriguing to me.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
I'm not sure I would even say Wyll is disliked. I don't have anything against him, it's just the way he's introduced a bit later than the others, and how he just doesn't seem to have a lot of personality makes me 'ehh' towards him. I have a feeling I'm not alone in that apathy.
From companions we have right now I can see the most potential in Wyll. Where he falls flat, or even annoys me, is inability to interact with him (or any other companions really). What I mean is that I never feel like I am talking to companions but that I am talked at. He is clearly full of crap, and I find it frustrating to not be able to properly confront him. He is also the most chummy of the bunch, which feels of with Tav’s blank expression, and characterless lines.

veteran
veteran
Yeah being at the bottom of the poll doesn't mean you're disliked, it just means your the fifth best liked.

The people over on the other poll who vote for Tav over any origin characters, first they're probably not being totally honest if they vote Tav first place, but are also saying they don't like the origin character enough that if given more Tav slots, they'd consider more Tavs than origin characters.

W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by Sozz
Yeah being at the bottom of the poll doesn't mean you're disliked, it just means your the fifth best liked.

The people over on the other poll who vote for Tav over any origin characters, first they're probably not being totally honest if they vote Tav first place, but are also saying they don't like the origin character enough that if given more Tav slots, they'd consider more Tavs than origin characters.

Tav is my first, second, third, and fourth favorite characters.

I like all of the characters so far. They are good. Nothing to complain about. But if you give me the chance to make a custom party I’ll almost always do that.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
OP Offline
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z

That's fair. I was interpreting it as "Here's the order from best to worst."
Tier List still holds though. Fairly consistently across all polls and sites:
S- Shadowheart
A- Gale
B- Lae'zel, Astarion
C- Wyll

Last edited by Zerubbabel; 07/02/23 02:04 AM.

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Warlocke

I like all of the characters so far. They are good. Nothing to complain about. But if you give me the chance to make a custom party I’ll almost always do that.
That's not really a reflection on the characters though. I hope you didn't vote Tav every time in the ranked poll... think

W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by Warlocke

That's not really a reflection on the characters though. I hope you didn't vote Tav every time in the ranked poll... think

😳🤫🫠

veteran
veteran
twitch well That's fine. Everything's fine here...

old hand
old hand
I couldn't find stats on most recruited, most killed, most used, most spoken to, or most romanced ORIGIN companions
I can't vote on this, each category is different.

Most recruited for me would be Astarion and Gale, they are the most useful for my playstyle.

Most killed would be Shadowheart for the simple fact that I don't like when certain characters seem to be "expected" to be in my party . I don't mind her as a character though.
In an all custom party, Astarion always dies in the first meeting because he attacks me.

Most spoken to, probably Lae'zel because I like her the best.

Most romanced would be none of them because I do not have any interest in pixel romance in any game, and I roleplay characters with more important priorities.

veteran
veteran
I hope you didn't vote Tav every time in the ranked poll... think

The absence of an answer is an answer too..

But yes, I voted for Tav for most of the answers.

I
journeyman
journeyman
I
Lae'zel > Shadowheart = Astarion > Gale > Wyll

Lae'zel is a sexy monkey girl. I like her becasue she is the only origin companion who can effectively uses 2handed great weapon and I LOVE 2handed great weapon. And I play 2handed great weapon bard with her, and 2handed great weapon wizard, and 2handed great weapon ranger, and 2handed great weapon barbarian, and 2handed great weapon sorcerer. The only problem Lae'zel has is that she will no longer look cool if I give her a greataxe or great hammer. She only looks badass when wielding a greatsword. Hopefully, that new Tiefling origin companion could be a tougher looking girl to match the beauty of greataxe and great hammer.

SH is fine. I went romance with SH in almost every playthrough. I think it's because her mysterious background reminds me of both Morrigan and Leliana from DAO. I miss DAO.

Astarion is also fine. I made him a trickster in my latest playthrough, and he performs well.

Gale is troublesome. Way too much "needy" comparing to Astarion. Astarion only need to be fed once, but Gale...

Wyll. I will start to like him a little bit only if he could start with a longsword and be a longsword warlock.

F
addict
addict
F
Wyll gets a lot of stick, but when you first meet him he's the only one in the grove to actually jump down to help out Aradin's crew. Zevlor (wisely) keeps to the high ground.

Wyll's AC sucks, his HP mediocre, but he alone has presence of mind to blow the horn and then draw attacks by being at ground level. He can even die in that encounter.

He's actually kind of a hero, at level 2.

I
journeyman
journeyman
I
Originally Posted by FreeTheSlaves
Wyll gets a lot of stick, but when you first meet him he's the only one in the grove to actually jump down to help out Aradin's crew. Zevlor (wisely) keeps to the high ground.

Wyll's AC sucks, his HP mediocre, but he alone has presence of mind to blow the horn and then draw attacks by being at ground level. He can even die in that encounter.

He's actually kind of a hero, at level 2.

Well, good point! I start to like Wyll already!

veteran
veteran
In my case it was an expression of active dislike of Astarion.

Community Manager
Community Manager
Really interesting to see the results here and in the ranked one 👀

(Gale is my personal fave, but I also love bringing Lae'zel, Wyll and Astarion with me everywhere)

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
OP Offline
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
Originally Posted by Zerubbabel
I'm not sure I ever understood why people hated a companion that was hostile, dismissive, and deeply cynical.

just a bit of rephrasing to make it clearer wink

Seriously though, first impressions are important. I still remember having to roll a series of ridiculously hard skill checks just for her to state the obvious "I'm a cleric of Sharr.". And if you fail a single one, the "bonus content" you get is "eff off, don't talk to me", so I simply stopped trying to talk to her. I don't care that she has a 'good' reason to be snarky, I care that she's snarky.

I still think that Larian doesn't know how to make characters without making them cynical and sarcastic. I think it's just baked into who they are. They're trying though, having SH say a simple, "hey, thanks for saving me, no really, thanks". was quite a nice change compared to her earlier nastiness.
You make a good point, but the way you rephrased my previous post reminds me that, in general,
Sensible character writing =/= Sensible RPG Companion writing.
There are predefined traits party members need which may sway the writing process away from what "makes sense" for a certain character to be outside of an RPG context.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
OP Offline
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by Salo

(Gale is my personal fave, but I also love bringing Lae'zel, Wyll and Astarion with me everywhere)
Do you know any of the actual player stats on most dialogue, most killed, most recruited, most used, or most romanced (and least for the aforementioned)?

Community Manager
Community Manager
Originally Posted by Zerubbabel

Do you know any of the actual player stats on most dialogue, most killed, most recruited, most used, or most romanced (and least for the aforementioned)?

We had a check a while back and we found out that ironically Gale is both the most attacked... and the most romanced 😅

Volunteer Moderator
Online Content
Volunteer Moderator
We had a check a while back and we found out that ironically Gale is both the most attacked... and the most romanced 😅

Interesting. Though admittedly I’ve to date never intentionally killed any potential companion except Gale, and that was only because I was testing stuff related to his death scene. I don’t know if that’s enough to skew the results, but suspect he’d probably die less if his scene when he did wasn’t both so fun and tied into getting to know his story!

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
veteran
veteran
The only companion, I often kill, is Astarion. I find his recruitment kind of difficult- do I really want the guy, who attacks me with a knife, around my camp?

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard