Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
N
Niya Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
N
As per title.

When I watched the new Release Date trailer I was even more hyped up but the moment I've heared "in the coming months we will be revealing 2 other antagonists" I was like what the hell, why would you do that?

Is anyone else feeling as if it's an unnecessary information?

Please Larian, don't spoil the game, let me (us) discover it with as little info (about our enemies) as possible!

enthusiast
enthusiast
From my understanding they are just... some, perhaps more important, but still pawns to the real antagonst so I'm not that shocked.

I expect more twists and turns in the story if they make such reveals.

E
E
I disagree. There's no spoilers in revealing antagonist cause this isn't detective game.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Niya
the moment I've heared "in the coming months we will be revealing 2 other antagonists" I was like what the hell, why would you do that? Is anyone else feeling as if it's an unnecessary information? Please Larian, don't spoil the game, let me (us) discover it with as little info (about our enemies) as possible!

I was also surprised to hear that. I was even astonished we got to hear about Ketheric so soon, and can imagine it would have been amazing to have found out he was still alive(ish) and working with the Absolute in the game rather than an announcement, but I’m guessing JK Simmons’s involvement was something Larian wanted to shout about and/or felt they’d not be able to keep under wraps so thought they’d get in first.

Originally Posted by Vitani

Yep, me too! I want surprises and discoveries during my first full release playthrough, so the more I’m told beforehand the higher my expectations will be for the amount I’m not being told.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
veteran
veteran
I agree. To learn Ketheric Throm is actually someone I will face - a somewhat major villain, that was a surprise to me. It would have been an even cooler surprise while playing the game.

You know that Grymforge guy you've been finding books on, the one Halsin faced 100 years ago? Guess what? He's not dead.

Oh yeah. That would have been MUCH more awesome in game. Now I'm like... well. I guess I know who one general is in BG3. Are they going to totally spoil the other 2 as well? I mean, I suppose he could just be a baby boss like Ragzlin, but regardless... kinda disappointed to know it right now. Would have liked to just find out at full release.

I might not watch anymore trailers or read anymore updates.

S
old hand
old hand
S
At this point, they have revealed pretty much every story content from act 1. So the only story bits to reveal are from later acts, and they still have 6 months to go to promote the game. Marketing the game is tough when your game has been in early access for more than 2 years.

veteran
veteran
I'm with Niva. They aren't pawns, they're knights. If they're unimportant enough that revealing them all won't majorly spoil the game then that is a baffling choice given how much they've been built up. They're essentially the leaders of the cult, in much the same way a high priest is a leader of a church - they're obviously not the god itself, but they're the ones relaying gods will. I thought it was weird initially to make Kethric one of the three leaders of the cult, but I was looking from the wrong angle. he was built up as the 'annonymous half-elf' from the visions. Typically in a story like this the point of lieutenants is to be the face of the bad guys. The ones we as players and charcters can interact with multiple times and develop a relationship with so that the true, otherworldly big bad can remain mysterious and menacingly unknowable. I think the game is already scoring low marks on that front, I'd hate to see it fail entirely by making these three be entirely throw-away.

N
Niya Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
N
Originally Posted by Vitani
From my understanding they are just... some, perhaps more important, but still pawns to the real antagonst so I'm not that shocked.

I really do hope there will be twists in the story that will leave us in awe.

But still, revealing 3 major (for my understanding) antagonists is really off putting. I don't mind side bosses, but main ones for each act? That's too much.

I want to expect the unexpected. I wish for thrill in finding out who the f is pulling the strings.

I don't want it to be something in lines of "Hey! We are going to save Rivellon, oh and guess what? Lucian is alive!"

F
addict
addict
F
J.K. Simmons is a heck of a draw card for some of us. Whiplash, Counterpart, Invincible, Spiderman... How could they not show him off?

Umm, Kethric Thorm alive as the General, is not very spoilery for us in EA. Between Halsin, floating eyes, druid notes, Grymforge notes, ancient Rothe dialogue, that's enough clues thanks.

Releasing the other 2 _is_ spoiling - and I love it. Yep, I've watched Harbs-narb and Chubblot, so I've got ideas who one of them is. Given the 3 symbols of the Absolute, we should expect clerics (or in Kethric's case, paladin) of each deity.

But it seems to me that Raphael, Cazador and the Hag coven are at least as powerful in their lair. And if there's an (undead) mind flayer Elderbrain, that's way more powerful. Not even talking about Githyanki or Sharrans.

The game is absolutely brimming with end-bosses as is.

old hand
old hand
Totally true. As I commented in the other thread, this wasn't the smartest move. There would be so much else to highlight besides spoiling story content...But it's their game and they can do what they want.

veteran
veteran
As someone who detests spoilers and prefers to experience my media fresh and to appreciate and judge it for itself, rather than with the scaffolding, or under the weight of, surrounding media, I pretty much detest the idea of them giving even as much game information about the plot and story as they have, and I'm appalled that that's apparently not the end of the amount they intend to spoil ahead of playing. I want to discover and learn things as I play, thank you, I do not wish to be told in advance even moderate plot elements and character points before experiencing the way they come up, are discovered and are handled in the actual piece of media.

Last edited by Niara; 24/02/23 10:00 AM.
F
addict
addict
F
I tell you what's spoilery, is that blonde Selunite (with heavy eye liner) the long awaited origin character, Helia?

N
Niya Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
N
I'm guessing the only thing that can be done as of now is to avoid any and all further reveals for BG 3.

I go hibernate till August. See ya later :P.

Last edited by Niya; 24/02/23 10:00 AM.
veteran
veteran
I agree. Revealing villains doesn't make sense and totally spoil.
Show companions or other release "surprises" rather than story content...

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran
revealing 3 major (for my understanding) antagonists
Question: Where did you get "major"?

I mean ...
3 antagonists: Gut, Minthara, Dror Ragzlin
They all may seem like important figures in their own quest ... some people here on forum allready said they concider thwm to be main bosses of first Act. laugh
But as the time goes on and more was revealed ... it showed that they are basically nothing but cogwheels in bigger machine.

Why do you think this is not the same?

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
revealing 3 major (for my understanding) antagonists
Question: Where did you get "major"?

It does sound from this bit of the Community Update that Ketheric and his two counterparts will be more “major” than the mini-bosses we’ve met so far …

Originally Posted by Salo
Ketheric isn’t the antagonist, but one of three main antagonists that your party will need to contend with if you ever want to get those tadpoles out of your head (maybe even if you decide you don’t 😏)

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
old hand
old hand
I concur with the OP. It is not the biggest surprise to me that Ketheric is an antagonist and probably one of the three underbosses which were shown on the bridge, because he played a prominent role in Big Jim Halsin's sermon. So I can accept the spoiler. But I don't want to know the rest, I want to explore and be surprised.

BTW never heard of J. K. Simmons, had to google him, then I recognized his face. I don't understand how such people are important for a video game, I do not care the slightest wether a celebrity is in or not or in some way involved, but most seem to like that.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by geala
BTW never heard of J. K. Simmons, had to google him, then I recognized his face. I don't understand how such people are important for a video game, I do not care the slightest wether a celebrity is in or not or in some way involved, but most seem to like that.

For me, it’s not about celebrity involvement, but about talented actors being confirmed to be playing key roles. Though I’m sure that having (relatively) famous talented actors who have built a fan base elsewhere can’t hurt from a marketing perspective.

Personally, I did know who JK Simmons was so was delighted to hear he’d be contributing, but had to Google Matt Mercer when he was announced as Minsc … which has since sent me down a bit of a Critical Role rabbit hole, so the marketing advantage can go both ways smile.

veteran
veteran
I want see him yelling "I want that spider-man!" while pointing at the Drider. laugh

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 24/02/23 11:09 AM.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
veteran
veteran
Personally I was more excited to see J.K.Simmons voicing him than I was seeing Ketheric in Moonrise.

Because even in the Early Access story it was no surprise that Ketheric Thorm is the Drow General waiting for us in Moonrise, since both Ketheric Thorm as the "General" and Z'rell as the 2nd Drow Chosen have been heavily referenced, hinted and talked about through in-game letters, books and NPCs in Grymforge and Moonhaven (Blighted Village). So wasn't really a big deal of a reveal, at least not to anyone paying attention to all the lore bits and pieces in Grymforge.

The game outright confirms this subtly since it's all connected to eachother in ACT 1 and it was even deducted easily ages ago before the trailers even started dropping.

I do think they should keep Z'rell and the 3rd Drow under wraps though, otherwise seeing them might lead to... more interesting speculations that prove true.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard