Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
veteran
veteran
I think that's fair, but then you have Larian potentially forcing us to choose only three companions to hang onto after act one, presumably for the sake of replayability. I think that if they do that (they still might not, I'm hopeful) but keep all this other stuff that would very naturally benefit replayability, then that's just... a weird choice.

Also on a roleplay level, unless you're roleplaying pretty specific types of people, why wouldn't a character use those potions or that amulet when it seems useful? These things are different from mechanics in that they're genuinely in the game world. Our characters can see it. Maybe they might pass over the potion or amulet initially, but if they come to a point where they think "hmm, there are animals around here that I could consult/corpses here that would probably know what happened, I know, I'll double back for one of those potions/use that amulet I found. That's a very, very reasonable thing a person would think to do, in which case not doing so would be going against roleplay. How do you justify your other chararacters not taking advantage of the potions or amulets that they know exist to be bought?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
why wouldn't a character use those potions or that amulet when it seems useful?
Thats entirely up to you, that is the whole point. smile
There is as many reasons as there is characters. laugh

To me ... its usualy moral implications.
Its one thing to know about something ... another thing to only hear about it from some people who you dont really concider "trustworthy" ... and completely another thing to experience it yourself.

Take that potion for example:

I can say with pure heart that if i would have such option, it would be extremely tempting ... but i would probably get rid of it as soon as possible, rather than drink it myself.
I like to eat meat, mainly beef.
And im quite sure you know where im heading. laugh
I dunno if i would be able to take single bite for the rest of my life if i would talk with animals for a day ... especialy if it would be such conversation as in BG-3 ... phylosophical Ox wondering about his future, Squirrel with music taste similar to mine, extremely depresing Dog that cant fully grasp the concept of loosing someone forewer ...
Right now, ignorance is blessed ...
Druids (feel free to replace with other word starting with V) can spend hours talking to me about how animals have feelings, dreams, hopes, and stuff ... but i can dismiss it as "their twisted way to observe the world" ... and buy another burger ... i wouldnt be able, if i would know ... or even worse, experience it myself. smile

That said ...
Im sure someone will sooner (or later) point out that some druids cherish nature in its raw, predatory state ... im aware, those are just not the druids im talking about. wink

So ...
Speaking for myself ... few examples:
My Paladin (Vengeance) wouldnt talk with dead, bcs it feels unnatural and wrong ... nor he would ever talk to animal, bcs he dont think such "lesser being" would have anything interesting, or important to say ... and yes, he do mock Druids for doing it.
My Sorcerer (Wild) wouldnt talk with dead, bcs it simply creeps her out ... but she would have no problem talking to small, cute, herbivore animals (she is a Gnome) ... on the other hand, she wouldnt talk to big Predators, bcs she fears them. laugh
My Rogue would have no problem talking with dead, bcs that spell (unless i remember something wrong) prevents them from lying ... but wouldnt talk to animals, bcs she simply dont thrust them, wich may seem odd, but it ties to her background story. laugh

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 26/02/23 09:40 PM.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
veteran
veteran
You make a good point, I'm not gonna pretend otherwise. Though as a side note regarding dismissing druids, I'm not really sure that most reasonable people could because this is a world where magic is demonstrably real so the idea of people being able to talk with animals isn't even as far-fetched as say, someone who can throw lightning. And druids do have other demonstrable magic so why disbelieve their experiences on this front? But that's an aside and a bit of a smaller issue, a digression really. The bigger issue as I see it is that what you describe requires players to actively make up rp reasons not to use these things if they don't want to, which just limits their roleplay. It probably wasn't even a thing the player would have factored in on a first playthrough when they didn't realize it was an option. Furthermore with something like this, who's to say that all or most players will really understand the problem or issue immediately enough that it doesn't have an impact on their experience? The game has a lot going on, and it's also entirely reasonable that the issue of replayability doesn't even dawn on a player until they replay the game after they've played through using all the items and only then realize that the experience is now lessser as a result. Expecting players to constantly be policing themselves throughout every point of the game feels like an admission that the game just hasn't been well-designed. Since I don't think I've come across a game that requires so many avenues to be policed the way this game does.

Also on a related note, it's easy to say more people should commit to RP, but that's not always easy or automtic. Me for example, I'm quite avid when it comes to roleplaying characters but my first playthrough of a game (the playthrough where having this stuff that weakens replay value) is always my weakest in terms of roleplay because I'm never comfortable committing to strict roleplay until I've seen the game through and know what kind of limitations it'sgoing to present. That way I don't create a character whose choices are disallowed by the game.

veteran
veteran
You make a good point, I'm not gonna pretend otherwise.
Thank you. ^.^

Though as a side note regarding dismissing druids, I'm not really sure that most reasonable people could because this is a world where magic is demonstrably real so the idea of people being able to talk with animals isn't even as far-fetched as say, someone who can throw lightning. And druids do have other demonstrable magic so why disbelieve their experiences on this front?
Well, thats the advantage of custom PC. smile
> You dont have to be member of of "most reasonable people". laugh

I mean, call it ignorance if you want ...
To me its just suspension of disbelief. laugh
People just dont like ideas that goes against their lifestyle. smile

But this is the same as with Gods, yes they exist in this world, yes they manifest even physicaly, and yes Clerics can talk to them directly (under certain circumstances) ... basicaly their existence is prooven thousand times and more. laugh
And yet, litteraly nothing stops you from playing some farmer who will claim: "i never needed any deity, nor have i withnessed any intervention ... i have no reason to believe there is some God" wich will be argument enough for him.

Same goes for Druids ...
Yes, i can see him call lightning, or summon rain ... so i know he can call lightning, or summon rain.
On the other hand tho, he is some wierdo refusing civilisation, living in the forest among other animals, and claiming that he can speak with them ... so if i often see him talking about how we should all return to Nature, and refuse our lifestile ... hes not exactly something i would call "thrustworthy source". smile
And if he then claims that he can talk to animals ...
Does it sounds impossible to you that somebody would dismiss it as simple blabling of crazy hermit who had a little too much mushrooms? laugh

And remember, we are not talking here about whole society, but about single individual PC. smile

I mean ... we all know that our planet is "not flat", right? laugh
And yet ... wink

requires players to actively make up rp reasons not to use these things if they don't want to, which just limits their roleplay
Limits? O_o
I would say it define their roleplay ...

I mean, its not a problem to me specificaly ... i carry in my head 3-6 characters that i play in every roleplaying game, usualy with small changes, for them to fit better in the setting.
And then every time i find some option in game, i simply ask "Is that what my curect character would do?" and if not, i leave it ... for me its natural way to play, since i know i will replay it several times. laugh

I dont first create reasons to limit myself ... and then create character.
Exactly the oposite ...
I allready have character created from previous games ... and simply play the same one here. laugh

Sometimes its fun to search for ways to express your character ... or if you just come with something that would fit them perfectly. ^_^
For example Muchomurka, my Gnome Sorcerer, is affraid of the dark ... so i equipped every member of party with some way to cast Light cantrip, and kept it on whole playthrough on them. laugh
Wich obviously meaned no sneaking ... so, no Astarion ... count it as another benefit.
One would see it as me restricting myself from using OP sneaking ... to me, it was just natural consequence of my character natural behaviour. smile

I also used the same charcter trait for my Bard, who i created just for BG-3 bard testing, since i dont like Bards in general ... and why? Bcs it was something new, and it was in its own way quite fun.
My only regret was that i didnt have Paladin with myself back then ...

the issue of replayability doesn't even dawn on a player until they replay the game after they've played through using all the items and only then realize that the experience is now lessser as a result.
Thats just tough life, i gues. :-/

You cant have it all ...
> Either person who will play trough the game only once will lesser their experience, bcs he dont get option to explore things ...
> Or person who will use everything lessers his next playtrough, bcs he allready explored things ...
But i would still argue its more like matter for 3rd+ replay, since (judging by EA) talking to animals/corpses, and not talking to animals/corpses is quite different experience by itself.
I mean ... Owlbear, Scratch, spiders in Goblin camp ... corpse in Tollhouse, dead Zhentarims (if they die) ... it all opens entirely new situations. smile

Expecting players to constantly be policing themselves throughout every point of the game feels like an admission that the game just hasn't been well-designed.
This is opinion i hear very often around here ...

I cant help the feeling this is just born from different mindset.
Im used to sandbox games, i know all my options and i know exactly wich of them i want to use ... to me its not restriction, limitation, or policing (whatever that word means laugh ) its just natural way i play. smile
Even in tabletop roleplay, wich i dont play for long, but i finaly do with stable group (yay ^_^), i can confirm that most fun is often not in things you can do, but in things you cannot. smile

So i dont think its matter of good or bad design ... its just that this kind of desing fits me better ...
And im sure that some other games, where restrictions are more strict would fit better to you ... that doenst make it better game tho ... it jut make it better game for you, than for me. wink

Also on a related note, it's easy to say more people should commit to RP
Dunno, never said that.
I merely expressed my wish for more people to be psychicaly able to play this way, bcs i can tell from my experience that they would love it. smile

I allready accepted from my discusion here on forum that some (and i dont point this to anybody specific, even tho some names come to my mind) people are simply unable to just play, rather then try to win, no matter the cost ... and quite honestly, i feel sory for them ... i think i partialy understand their frustration (even tho i dont agree with it) about aspects of this game that "ruins their experience", but im affraid they will never see that the person who actually ruins their experience is not Swen, as they often claims around here, its themselves. frown

But in the end, to each their own. smile
If they can never taste my experience ... i at least hope they will find mods to make theirs as fitting to their taste as possible. smile

Me for example, I'm quite avid when it comes to roleplaying characters but my first playthrough of a game (the playthrough where having this stuff that weakens replay value) is always my weakest in terms of roleplay because I'm never comfortable committing to strict roleplay until I've seen the game through and know what kind of limitations it'sgoing to present. That way I don't create a character whose choices are disallowed by the game.
I understand ...
We just have different approach, thats all. smile

And yes, this happens a lot indeed. laugh
Thats the reason i created "missing dialogue choices" and "alternative ability checks" topics ... bcs i exactly as you say "created character whose choices are disallowed by the game". laugh

For example ...
I really like to play my Druids as a strict Outlanders ... kinda something like Tarzan, Mowgli, or princess Mononoke ... not litteraly tho, but close. laugh

One of results of such Druid is that i often leave Intelligence quite low ... not just bcs its a dump stat, but mainly bcs Intelligence rolls present things you "learned from the books" or "were teached by someone" ... and that is not my Druids way ... i often argue to use Wisdom instead, bcs those are things you experienced yourself.
In BG-3 tho, there is no way to roll Nature + Wisdom sadly. frown
So my favourite way of Druid, who have no knowledge, but lots of experience is not exactly as possible as i would hope.

More specificaly: (the same example i used in said topic about alternative ability checks)
*Nettie holds some thorny root in her hand*
Intelligence + Nature roll > This plant is called *XY*, it grows at *XY* region and its thorns contain strong, yet gentle poison ... even single scrats would be capable to kill you in mere minutes.
Wisdom + Nature roll > You dont know name of this particular plant. But you remember that you have seen a deer scratch its leg over something very simmilar, it fell asleep in few minutes ... and moment later, it stoped breathing.

I think it would be much better this way ... and on the bright side, if i wouldnt create my Outlander druid, it may never come to me. laugh
Sadly, i dunno if there is even chance for something like that. frown

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 27/02/23 03:20 PM.

veteran
veteran
Just my 2 cents. I am not a fan of the DOS2 stuff in bg3. I honestly am happy to leave DOS2 behind but I get there may be people who appreciate it and it may draw them into trying Bg3. Its a HUGE game, so I can ignore it and just appreciate that Larian is basically providing all this for free.

Also it's a part of Larian's history and what got them where they are. Its natural they want to have a homage to it in their new Flagship game.

The thing about Ifan's codpiece was a (bad) joke, I don't really want to see that item.

Blackheifer
addict
addict
Larian still hasn't realize they are trying not to make a Baldur's Gate game. smile
Just saying ignore the unrelated crap doesn't make the smell go away.
But actually, ignoring this as a BG game is probably the best way to play. And most younger under 30 gamers probably don't even care.

Last edited by Count Turnipsome; 27/02/23 10:59 PM.

It just reminded me of the bowl of goat's milk that old Winthrop used to put outside his door every evening for the dust demons. He said the dust demons could never resist goat's milk, and that they would always drink themselves into a stupor and then be too tired to enter his room..
L
addict
addict
L
[Linked Image from staticdelivery.nexusmods.com]

Maybe we will get Ifan's crossbow.

Last edited by LostSoul; 28/02/23 05:23 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by LostSoul
Is this a mod?
Please tell me its some ridiculously op mod ...

old hand
old hand
Seems to be a mod, considering the net address. This crossbow is seemingly shown by someone with the GWM feat? Otherwise the + 15 damage does not make sense. Of course the damage would not be applied, it's a bug. Did you take the Weapon Master feat for Astarion or why can he use a heavy crossbow with proficiency? If a crit comes from 20 and 19 (so double the rate than normal?) why does the log show a crit with a roll of 13?

Generally I would not mind such a crossbow as a very rare magic weapon, if the normal TT crossbow rules would be applied (I hope they will). Ranged is a bit underpowered in the game. I would prefer a lot less magical stuff in the game but I fear it's too late for this.

veteran
veteran
Sory for the confusion ... i expressed myself poorly.

I mean mod purely from the autor mind, not that kind of mod that takes existing (often datamined) asets and just adds it to some model or fill missing gasps.

And that +15 isnt somethig that bothers me, since in that combat log its not mentioned ...
But additional 1d10 on crit ... effectively making triple damage, seems ridiculous. :-/

But now, when i read that combat log properly ... how the hells he crited with roll 13 ?

Z
addict
addict
Z
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Sory for the confusion ... i expressed myself poorly.

I mean mod purely from the autor mind, not that kind of mod that takes existing (often datamined) asets and just adds it to some model or fill missing gasps.

And that +15 isnt somethig that bothers me, since in that combat log its not mentioned ...
But additional 1d10 on crit ... effectively making triple damage, seems ridiculous. :-/

But now, when i read that combat log properly ... how the hells he crited with roll 13 ?

If you use gwm it adds +10 dmg on the tooltip for every weapon. But actually it not adding it . Its only works for two handed weapons.
I think the player have +4 from dex weapon+1 and the bugged tooltip. I wanted to report it but i forget.

veteran
veteran

It is mentionned... +1 from weapon enchantment + 4 from modifier +10 from the additionnal dice (1D10 = 10 for tooltips) = +15.

Tooltips for conditionnal effects always consider the conditions are met AND the highest number is always added wheb there is additionnal dices => tooltips are often confusing more than helping.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 28/02/23 02:07 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
Z
addict
addict
Z
Originally Posted by Maximuuus

It is mentionned... +1 from weapon enchantment + 4 from modifier +10 from the additionnal dice (1D10 = 10 for tooltips) = +15.
He is referring to the wepons tooltip bubble.
As you can see there 1 d10 + 15 dmg.
If it would calculated like that it whould not say 16-25 dmg it whould say 7-25 dmg.

Last edited by ZOZO1006; 28/02/23 02:08 PM.
veteran
veteran
Not sure I understand because he talked about the log.

Whatever tooltips with conditions and additionnal damage dices have always been confusing.
7-25 would not be good too... if I'm not wrong it would be 8-35 on crit... and 6-15 without crit.

Their tooltips will never replace good tutorial... their efforts to make things easy sometimes make things even more confusing.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 28/02/23 03:12 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran
Thank you both for explaining something i clearly stated "isnt something that bothers me". :-/

Should we move to actual question?

Z
addict
addict
Z
He could crit with whatever roll if the target is sleeping or knoked out. Cuz its always critical.

veteran
veteran
Thank you both for explaining something i clearly stated "isnt something that bothers me". :-/

Should we move to actual question?

😂 Sorry master Ragnarok

Last edited by Maximuuus; 28/02/23 06:59 PM.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by ZOZO1006
He could crit with whatever roll if the target is sleeping or knoked out. Cuz its always critical.
Good point! Thank you smile

Originally Posted by Maximuuus
😂 Sorry master Ragnarok
Im glad you take it with humor. ^_^

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 28/02/23 07:42 PM.

L
addict
addict
L
So Astarion is a ranger in my playthrough with sharp shooter, that's where the +10 came from (I forget to turn it off for the picture). Yes the enemy was asleep so auto crit. The bow does +D10 extra on a crit ( not 2 D10). Larian has already worked that out.
Its not datamined just part of one of my mods. Obviously it's just me making the dos2 weapon using 5e rules.
I'm thinking of adding a ring that allows you to summon your soul wolf as well.

old hand
old hand
And Sharpshooter is also from a mod? Is it the same mod which allows Astarion to be a Ranger? Is that the normal DnD version of Sharpshooter, a kind of equivalent to Great Weapon Master? If so, where are the -5 for the attack roll? Is that not in or is it normally not shown (did never control it for GWM on my Barbarian or Fighter)?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard