Originally Posted by Blackheifer
Originally Posted by SneakyHalfling
+1 Entering turn based combat when someone attacks: when one of your teammates enter combat I don't think others should enter combat too, but you should enter turn-based mode as by 5e rules, every round is supposed to be 6 seconds in game time, so if not your kinda doing Max Payne's bullet time.

Also a big yes on this. However, only if the characters are on the same map or within a reasonable distance - if you are off doing your own thign and are not getting involved there is no reason to be put into turn based mode.

Yeah 100%, as you said, same map or within a reasonable distance.

Originally Posted by Blackheifer
Originally Posted by SneakyHalfling
+1? Involving sound: I don't think this one is that hard to implement, it might be tricky to properly show the player but could be cool, should be balanced with the range attackers because this will affect melee specially. The cool thing is that it might help specially with "invisibility", because now it's super strong.
Some creatures could have better or worse hearing also, as in owls in DnD among many other creatures:
Keen Hearing and Sight. The owl has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on hearing or sight.
Could also bring into play using Silence spell more, making the choice of changing armor for an encounter, seems fun.

With those changes stealth will still be really powerful, but will feel less as an exploit and there are many more probably.

Sound is already accounted for. If you are wearing armor that doesn't cause disadvantage on stealth checks then stealth assumes you are being quiet and your stealth check partially involves your success there.

I think the main change to make it more in line with 5e rules is to set the vision areas properly based on the capacities of the NPC/Monster. Vision is 360 in a combat situation but NOT in a non-combat situation. A guard could be distracted, staring ahead and not looking around, but once combat starts you are always looking around.

This is a harder change to make as you have to account for every single creatures actual vision capacity and range and then make it 360 degrees. Darkvision has to be accounted for and also Blindsight. This is a much larger project than it may seem.

Disclaimer: I don't think is that important and might be a bit convoluted but just to be clear on what I meant:

In this short video I sneak up on an enemy with armor that gives disadvantage as I show, with it I can still sneak around him, even jump next to him.

When sneaking the stealth roll is only rolled if you fall into the cone of vision of the enemy.

I've made this quick image on a method that might be useful, adding a hearing circle and a noise produced ONLY when sneaking.

[Linked Image from wolkestudio.com.ar]

If the two circle touch/merge, a stealth roll is made.

If you aren't using armor that gives disadvantage you don't "produce" noise. One could make a system where your dexterity modifier makes your circle smaller, but the general idea is, if you want to go past a enemy, remove your armor and if you want to gank on him with an attack, you at least give up some AC unless you invest some hefty points in dexterity.

Last edited by SneakyHalfling; 05/03/23 08:58 PM.