Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
veteran
veteran
I love Astarion BECAUSE he is an evil bastard. I have no wish to change him, he is too much fun the way he is. His sense of humor is wholly inappropriate, he provides not so subtle reminders that we need to see to our own interests first and he has no moral qualms about any path we choose as long as it is successful.

Frankly he is the least "whiney" character we have, and his Arc is about revenge, which is always fun. On top of that he is a decently made rogue with enough versatility to make him incredibly strong. My one complaint is his low strength score. I would personally never make any character with strength that low - should be 10-12 minimum.

But I digress. Going into any relationship with the idea that "I can change him/her" is a recipe for disaster. Any therapist will tell you that you can't change anyone unless they choose to seek to change themselves.

Oh and Silver is 100% right, Vampire Spawn are Evil. They are infused with energy from the negative material plane, which makes the evil Intrinsic, not cultural. While he remains a Vampire Spawn his alignment cannot change.

So maybe that is what you should be looking at in regards to his redemption Arc. However, only a Wish spell OR a True Resurrection Spell could really do that.

Good luck!

Blackheifer
enthusiast
enthusiast
Maybe we can get True Ressurection via the Necromancy of Thay later, it would be interesting if the book has more to offer than only the Speak with Dead spell.

Originally Posted by Blackheifer
But I digress. Going into any relationship with the idea that "I can change him/her" is a recipe for disaster. Any therapist will tell you that you can't change anyone unless they choose to seek to change themselves.

I agree, this would definitely be a recipe for disaster in real life.

I tend to play my Tavs who romance Astarion as flirtatious as he is, not expecting much of it, but being pleasantly surprised if this evolves further in any way.

And as a player, I grab my popcorn and wait what will happen with these two, maybe something cute or a complete trainwreck. Either way, I think it will be entertaining 😄🍿

For me, Astarion's dialogue scenes are clearly the most fun, with a wide range from funny to surprisingly touching. I think Neil Newbon must have had a lot of fun playing him.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by Lyelle
Originally Posted by Silver/
It's been speculated around because of the options in the magic mirror. Perhaps my own fault for also reading too much into it, but I'd feel cheated out of /something/...

I was thinking about the magic mirror, too. The options for each character are very interesting, and - at least to me- strongly hint that there could be different paths for each of them.
Paths you can hopefully direct. Just saw a video on Pathfinder that you can corrupt a certain companion. What's up with the overrepresentation of redemption arcs in RPGs? Characters should have their own unique developments based on your decisions and should have a combination of:
-Starting bad and staying bad
-Starting good and staying good
-Starting good and turning bad
-Starting bad and turning good

It would be interesting to have a companion start good and turn bad at the same time another companion is starting bad and turning good.

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
veteran
veteran
Nothing wrong with a good redemption arc. I imagine being able to change one's destiny being such a common refrain in fantasy and adventure, also plays well into stories about changing your alignment.
We're also probably engineered to consider stories with a good ending, more satisfying.
Originally Posted by Zerubbabel
It would be interesting to have a companion start good and turn bad at the same time another companion is starting bad and turning good.
This is how Woody Allen movies work, and it's pretty fun to watch.

S
S
astarion's alignment is "evil neutral", i am sure.

* astarion laughs at the weak --

astarion do think "evil is beautiful", his pleasure beyond words is reflect his heart, more than he speak the word "beautiful".
a best example, a hag who calls herself auntie ethel. if you save mayrina from the hag and aftermath her things, astarion will tell you "this is a very funny thing.". yes, this doesn't include the word "beautiful" but the statement and his pleasure beyond the word "beautiful".

astarion's laugh doesn't mean sad for mayrian's tragedy,his laugh is just for pleasure.the proof is that if you refute him "this isn't funny, you shouldn't show the manner", and then you can receive his "disagree feedback". if astarion has his kind under his laugh, you won't receive his "disagree" from his sincere reaction. on the contrary, you ought to receive his "agree" from his sincere reaction.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

astarion was an unfair judge, this makes him have many sworn enemies, and one day astarion is ambushed by his sworn enemies and get in severe danger.
astarion sell his soul, the issue is ling before cazador gives astarion two choices--die or became his vampire spawn. the meanwhile astarion chooses sell his soul.
10 year old child also know most vampires are evil, and will enslave the victims' souls. once one becames a vampire spawn the one will loose everything include his soul, . the fool of people are all know this, not to mention astarion is a judge--a intellectual.

* astarion is afraid dying.

we also can see astarion would like the tadpole's control rather than dying, if "metamorphosis" is coming, he won't have the option "suicide" .
the halsin's assistant -- a female druid gives our player character a bottle of poison for "metamorphosis" 's coming.
astarion said "I can help you suicide if you want die so eager, but for me??, are you joking?"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* astarion is a slavery.
about slavery, there are many styles of slavery, and some of them have their causes, these include non-evil and evil, but good.
the styles of slavery, can be from "lawful natural" to "evil natural" .( i am not sure "evil chaos"?).
so the slaverys in baldur's gate 3 early stage, that show for "lawful evil(zhentarim)" and "evil neutral(absolute)".

i buy the artist is just for releasing him immediately.
does astarion want the artist free? no.
does astarion want the artist be a slave in the camp? yes.

secondly, to the deep gnomes are the same.
does astarion want enslave them? yes, of couse.
does astarion want improision them? yes, of couse.
this is, astarion said "i don't like them (free).", astarion dare not say the word "free", just because the player character is strong then his.
just like the "bite event" astarion said "i can't bite you, just because you are strong then me.".

though i free the artist and deep gnomes, i don't get the continue slavery plots, but i know astarion's plan just the same as his master cazador's steps.
so, astarion's slavery plan is still "evil neutral".

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* astarion succumbs to the strong.

astarion sells his soul to cazador and never mind to sell his soul to raphael, he also never mind under his tadpole's control(abusee the power of tadpole that astarion can not master, means after all the tadpole will have enough power control astarion), not to mention the absolute's power is much beyond the tadpole.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* astarion purseus the power that he can not master.

the necromancy of they a book that astarion can not master, but astarion is charmed by it?
a more obvioise instance, the tadpole is going to controlling astarion due to astarion abuses the power of tadpole.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* astarion's willpower is weak

if you let astarion suck your blood, and demand him stop failed, you will die because he can not control his blood thirty, due to astarion 's weak willpower.

Last edited by stevelin7; 06/03/23 07:09 AM.
S
S
by the way

i also think the companions are not suitable to be our player character, due to their strong personalities.

we put our will into the companions to run the plots that they never consider to do, that is going to destroy their personalities.

i think we can run the preset plot for a companion, that is via his/her view to understand the companion more, bur we should never "help" a companion think, or the companion isn't himself/herself, this is the player character -- you!

a companion never can be a savior of b3, he/she only has his/her legend, the legend can be active or wither, that depend on our player character's "choices".

Last edited by stevelin7; 06/03/23 07:07 AM.
veteran
veteran
Characters should have their own unique developments based on your decisions and should have a combination of:

It would be interesting
But can you imagine the number of permutations? :-/

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
S
S
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Characters should have their own unique developments based on your decisions and should have a combination of:

It would be interesting

i think the "origin characters" should have limited options.

but our own creation character(our player character) should have more combine, due to your "choices", i used to see a official video, that introduce "choices" to decide your storyline's possibilities.

Last edited by stevelin7; 06/03/23 07:22 AM.
veteran
veteran
I thought we are talking about followers ...
That is entirely different story than PC ... no matter if custom, or origin. O_o

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD

It would be interesting

That's what I'd call a high replay value! 😄

I'd like all of these developments, as long as they are well written and make sense character- and storywise.

T
Tessa Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
I did not think this thread would get any attention lol. Yes a redemption arc for astarion and other paths of alignments followers can go down would be awesome. Astarion can still have his personality and his funny cutscenes while still being 'pushed' to be alittle more kinder. I can imagine him being in-denial that he cares about things as you and him develop togeather. I do find it odd that he is a slave for years but then he wants to inslave and control others. No empathy for other slavers? But i mean like people have said vampires are inherently evil. So i guess its in his nature? What ever ends up happening. Ill just have to make a not so nice character to unlock the full potential romance from him. Not getting a redemption arc wont stop me from romanceing him. 🧛 thankyou all for the feedback <3

enthusiast
enthusiast
I'm still laughing every time the scene starts where they talk about the taste of blood. I imagine the slightly irritated looks Astarion and Tav might get from the rest of our group from across the campfire when they muse about how the other companion's blood might taste.

But hey, it is entirely hypothetical 😂

T
Tessa Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
I laughed so much at his responce to my character kicking the squirrel up by the druid grove 😂

T
Tessa Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
Yes.....totally hypothetical.....👀😂 i like that scene too:)

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
Originally Posted by Tessa
Astarion is a popular favourite to romance. And i would love it if we werent tied into being mean to get his approval. It would be cool if as you progress through the acts you have the option to show Astarion good aint too bad. And by the end of the game he is true neutral. An option of careful dialogue choices to change his alignment would be really intresting. And allow players that want to be relativley good aligned to have that option. Astarion is awesome and he has a sad story and can be quite stroppy. When u talk to him nicley he is sometimes shocked your being lovley to him. So I can really see you bringing him out of his anger and misery. Just a thought 🤔

I just hope he kills his master, drinks his blood, then turns you into a vampire.🤞 please please please lol

He starts of chaotic neutral in my opinion. He hates rules, he neither likes killing nor does he like harming people, nor does he like helping. He is BG3 version of Daeran but replace outsider with a vampire. I can see him going lawfully neutral by becoming a grand vampire via loyalty quest. Or chaotic evil, by bad relationships with tav, or corruption by the tadpole.

I doubt any good pathways as there are no mythic pathways in 5th edition. A vampire affliction generally can't be overcome unless by divine intervention

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard