Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
I wouldn't say there's any romance in a game where I was like "Oh my god this person is incredible... I AM DOWN BAD." I can say that I used the romance features in games where they were available, so there's that. Might as well throw my two cents in:

-Mass Effect 1: Romanced Liara (Disappointed with the writing in this one though for all options)
-Mass Effect 2: Miranda
-Mass Effect 3: Tali

-Dragon Age Origins: Morrigan
-Dragon Age 2: Merrill

-Baldur's Gate 2: Viconia
-Baldur's Gate 3: Shadowheart

-KOTOR: Bastilla

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by Zerubbabel
I wouldn't say there's any romance in a game where I was like "Oh my god this person is incredible... I AM DOWN BAD." I can say that I used the romance features in games where they were available, so there's that. Might as well throw my two cents in:

-Mass Effect 1: Romanced Liara (Disappointed with the writing in this one though for all options)

Tali ME1 to ME3
Kotor same

My Name is Regulator and im a Hoarder in the lands of Faerűn.

how much stuff is to much stuff, because its certainly not enough stuff.
Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by Regulator

Tali ME1 to ME3
Kotor same

To clarify, I romanced Miranda in my first run-through of ME2 when it was standalone, but Tali all the way through when Legendary Edition came out.

veteran
veteran
[Linked Image from i.kym-cdn.com]

veteran
veteran
I'm a simple person. I will 'simp' for whoever is nice to me and I enjoy their company.

veteran
veteran
I romanced Merrill too, but it’s difficult for me not view Anders as the most narratively effective romance plot. Especially for a Hawke that kills him.
Also like Linzi, the person I was most personally interested in, Bethany, wasn’t a romance option. Of course unlike Linzi, a Bethany romance would have actually been problematic. That would have been a very different game.

I find “Toxic” relationships are interesting fodder for roleplaying games. Even if the writing wasn’t all there, Octavia and Regongar, were at least something I hadn’t really seen before. And I’m interested to see where they go with an Astarion romance, which looks like it might be similar to Anders, addiction and revenge.

Persona is interesting, I like the sort of light novel coming of age romances they have, but being constrained to little vignettes keeps it from both over taking the narrative and giving you as much as you might want. They’ve made spin-off fighting games and a brawler, I wonder if they’ve ever considered making spin-off dating sim before.
I think the kinda focus a smaller roster has is why I enjoyed Yukiko’s story in P4 more than most of ones in P5
Persona 4 also had Chekov’s ragamuffin which might just mean I’ve been too emotionally manipulated to feel differently. Oh no, P4 is my toxic relationship.

That said, I’m also in the camp where no romantic subplot in an rpg has really been exceptional.
In review the ones that were most effective, were stories where I knew my character was being taken in. I don’t need to like Yennefer for a romance with her to be effective because I can tell what’s going on with Geralt when they talk. I know Geralt has deep feelings for Triss because he gave her that rose, and Chose to save her over a number of probably ‘smarter’ choices. Conversely, it doesn’t matter to me the Bhaalspawn is a plank of wood with face painted on, because I can tell what’s going on between him and Viconia because of the writing and the voice acting on her side of it. As well the relationships the Nameless one has, the more-so because our incarnation is experiencing past romances the way a player normally does.

I don’t know where to fit Final Fantasy games into this matrix. The love triangle between Cloud Tifa and Aeris or the impending marriage with Lunafreya might veer so far into meladrama that they become effective again

There have to be better examples I’m not remembering. Where do Ico and Shadow of the Colossus fit in. Or the current generation of Zelda games I haven’t played

S
old hand
old hand
S
I wonder who'll win the contest for most mutually destructive romance subpath.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Silver/

Camellia - WotR

S
old hand
old hand
S
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit

Camellia - WotR

Some choice comments from Steam

She's passionate about her hobbies. Who am I, an aspiring lich, to judge? And yeah I did romance her, because she's always telling me to open my heart to her. Hopefully I'll have the chance to truly do so as I progress my lichdom.
-- DrunkPunk

This is what happens when you don't choose the succubus, you end up on the path of debased evil. Sad times.
-- Angry Trash

Don't kink shame
-- Soft Lockpick

My trickster kept her alive. My roleplay was I just kept party members that I found interesting, I felt like I was pushing her towards even further insanity, which was quite entertaining. I'm not crazy too, I promise.
-- Lusty Muse

Won't somebody please think of the cannibals?
-- Soft Lockpick

Doesn´t matter: had sex.
-- Cloudhunter

How are you any better after killing so many nameless cultists and people? You catch her killing one guy in private and suddenly its NOOOOOOO YOU CAN'T DO THAAT. lmao c'mon.
-- Elley

I like how Camellia exposes us, players as hypocrites.

Her secret is very easy to read since first chapter, yet we keep her near, in some position of power as one of our inner circle.

Some let her be because she's useful, some because she pretty, some dont care. And after facing truith which anyone sane can predict, commanders start acting saint.

Great character surprisingly.
-- Northern

What if Camellia wants to repent like 20-30 years later? The question against Arueshalae is that you never met her during her evil times so her killing and eating mortals in past will never bother you while you see Camellia on the act, so that will bother you. That was my point.
-- urartu

She can't leave you, if you execute her first.
#Rollsafe
-- Thraknar/Soap

Woman still had simps among these, it seems. I meant Bg3's characters, though. Camelia is not quite powerful enough to win the crown despite not being in the game.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z

Camellia - WotR

Some choice comments from Steam

She's passionate about her hobbies. Who am I, an aspiring lich, to judge? And yeah I did romance her, because she's always telling me to open my heart to her. Hopefully I'll have the chance to truly do so as I progress my lichdom.
-- DrunkPunk

This is what happens when you don't choose the succubus, you end up on the path of debased evil. Sad times.
-- Angry Trash

Don't kink shame
-- Soft Lockpick

My trickster kept her alive. My roleplay was I just kept party members that I found interesting, I felt like I was pushing her towards even further insanity, which was quite entertaining. I'm not crazy too, I promise.
-- Lusty Muse

Won't somebody please think of the cannibals?
-- Soft Lockpick

Doesn´t matter: had sex.
-- Cloudhunter

How are you any better after killing so many nameless cultists and people? You catch her killing one guy in private and suddenly its NOOOOOOO YOU CAN'T DO THAAT. lmao c'mon.
-- Elley

I like how Camellia exposes us, players as hypocrites.

Her secret is very easy to read since first chapter, yet we keep her near, in some position of power as one of our inner circle.

Some let her be because she's useful, some because she pretty, some dont care. And after facing truith which anyone sane can predict, commanders start acting saint.

Great character surprisingly.
-- Northern

What if Camellia wants to repent like 20-30 years later? The question against Arueshalae is that you never met her during her evil times so her killing and eating mortals in past will never bother you while you see Camellia on the act, so that will bother you. That was my point.
-- urartu

She can't leave you, if you execute her first.
#Rollsafe
-- Thraknar/Soap

Woman still had simps among these, it seems. I meant Bg3's characters, though. Camelia is not quite powerful enough to win the crown despite not being in the game.

When forum posters see a hot lady engage in ritual sacrifice in a psychotic episode and bathe in the blood of the victim:

(Actual when they see an isometric figure over a dead body and are told that's what happened)

veteran
veteran

Camellia - WotR
I would say rivalmanced Anders. If you rival him, he becomes totally unhinged ( and I mean he isn't the most sane person to start with) and that on top of him manipulating you.

Last edited by fylimar; 11/03/23 11:22 PM. Reason: Typo

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by fylimar

Camellia - WotR
I would say rivalmanced Anders. If you rival him, He becomes totally unhinged ( and I mean he isn't the most sane person to start with) and that in top of him manipulating you.
Anders_irl

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard