Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 22 23
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Wormerine
Originally Posted by Tuco
I'm having another go at Battle Brothers, which is one of the best things since sliced bread.
I need to give it a go.

Well, perhaps I should try it too, then.

I've always been happy with baguettes and loaves. But if sliced bread made it into phrases, it must be quite the thing.

Last edited by Drath Malorn; 21/04/23 08:29 PM. Reason: typo
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by RutgerF
I'm having another go at Battle Brothers
That reminds me. Has anyone played WarTales after the release? About a year ago I've read some rather conflicting reviews of their EA on Steam, and was wondering if the game is any good.

I played EA but also found it frustrating and annoying. It felt like a poverty simulator.

Blackheifer
D
addict
addict
D
I'm having another go at Battle Brothers, which is one of the best things since sliced bread.

Just kidding. Never gave a damn about sliced bread. Not even sure why that's a saying.

Battle Brothers is permanently installed on my hard drive.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I did a top ten list for games - Mostly by hours played - across all genres'. I left out MMO's - which would have just been World of Warcraft Classic and The Secret World anyway.

1. Elden Ring
2. Bg3*
3. Fallout 4
4. Master of Orion 2 (1996)
5. Temple of Elemental Evil (Troika)
6. Control
7. Planescape: Torment
8. Salt and Sanctuary
9. Divinity Original Sin 2**
10. Neverwinter Nights

*Conditional on full release - or eventual incorporation of full multiplayer and DM mode. I have faith though and my hours played are through the roof.

**off of pure hours played 1,200+ but after the bg3 system I can't play this anymore because BG3 is so much better.

What about you guys? Top ten across all genres regardless of age?

Last edited by Blackheifer; 25/04/23 02:02 PM.

Blackheifer
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Icelyn
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
I have been playing the shit out of a game called Control. Apparently it was GOTY in 2018 and they have 2 DLC's out for it. Just blown away by how good every aspect of this game is, from the cinematics to the voice acting to the actual gameplay.
I liked Control a lot as well! I wasn’t very good at it (and I don’t think they had Assist Mode when I played it) but still had a lot of fun. I think they are working on a sequel, which I am looking forward to!
Originally Posted by Wormerine
Jesse is dynamite.
😂😂😂

yeah, I love the main character - she is a lot of fun. They are doing a sequel to Alan Wake which is a mystery Horror. I do want them t0 do a sequel to Control and since the Hiss are still technically infecting the FBC then they have a lot of places they could go with that.

Originally Posted by timebean
I played a couple of Indies recently. Finally played Stray which I thoroughly enjoyed.
I have been meaning to play that! That will be next on my list!🐈

Stray was a lot of fun, and it's a beautiful story. Not a lot of replay value but the game rewards you for acting like a cat and doing pointless stuff. They really nailed proper cat behavior.

Blackheifer
enthusiast
enthusiast
Can't seem to get into anything released after 2020, except Elden Ring. Which also got stale after 100 hours.

Every big game is either extremely boring (Horizon, God of War etc.) or extremely disappointing (TW:Warhammer 3, Deathloop etc.)

Just bought TLOU 2 for like 7$, maybe it will be something that will finally hook me.

C
C
Thank you for recommending P Wotr guys, I just bought it and so far I am glued to it.

Volunteer Moderator
Online Content
Volunteer Moderator

I have no objective measure of hours played due to different formats, lost data and use of now defunct streaming platforms, but in some order or other I’m sure it’d be BG3, the three Dragon Age games, and the four Mass Effect games. I’m not sure what would take the final two slots, possibly BG1 and/or BG2 but more likely Civ VI or Rome: Total War. NWN is an outside possibility, if we include the HotU expansion in that.

In terms of a subjective top 10 ranking … that’s much harder as there are games I think are better than at least some of those listed above, but which don’t have as much replay potential. I’ll have to ponder that!

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
veteran
veteran
By hours played, that's tough.

I probably spent an unhealthy amount of time in Morrowind when it came out, and I return to Baldur's Gate II every few years, sometimes I check to see what new mods the community has got to. Speaking of mods, Neverwinter Nights is a game that existed for me mostly though the modding community it has.

All the Modern era of Bioware are games I've played and replayed, but Mass Effect and Dragon Age both peaked for me in their second installments. The Witcher too.

And being who I am, both Knights of the Old Republic games were very important to me. I may have replayed them more than Mass Effect and Dragon Age. Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast would also qualify here.

There are few games that cause me to have a lost weekend, but didn't quite carry through after that. As I said in the other thread, despite playing Baldur's Gate II so often, it still probably doesn't reach the number of hours sunk into grand strategy games I've played. Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri is a game that deserves a remake, and a RPG set in its universe. A game called Terra Invicta gave me similar feelings as Alpha Centauri, it started out as a X-Com mod, and it's optimized like a bloated game mod too.

Then you have games that really confound the amount of time I've put into them. MMOs like The Old Republic, the Discworld MUD, Fallen London and its spin-offs.

Then there is a long list of adventure games that I don't know how to work in. Myst, Riven, The Long Journey; Wadjet Eye games like Gemini Rue and Primordia. And a slew of text only games that come out from such places as Choice Of games, like the Sabres of Infinity series, Choice of the Vampire, and Choice of Robots.
I don't know how many would feel about it but I consider Planescape: Torment close to a Point and Click adventure.

• Baldur's Gate II: Shadow of Amn
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • Planescape: Torment
  • Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II (less coherent story, more interesting subject)
  • Morrowind
  • Dragon Age II
  • Mass Effect II
  • Riven: the Sequel to Myst
  • Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
  • Neverwinter Nights

Lists like this almost never mean much, but that's what I've got this moment.
I'm not putting Baldur's Gate 3 into any contention until I actually know what I'm getting there. When Cyberpunk's DLC comes out I'm going to jump back in for the first time since launch.

veteran
veteran

Just on Steam (don't have hours for non steam) including mmos:

1. FFXIV
2. ESO
3. Ark
4. Fallout 4
5. Warframe
6. Payday 2
7. Skyrim
8. SWTOR
9. Empyrion - Galactic Survival
10. Rainbow Six Siege

Huh, looking at just the top hours played, I wouldn't even consider most of those my favorite games of all time.

In terms of my favorite games over the past 5 years or so, in no particular order:

- Elden Ring
- Wrath of the Righteous
- Mass Effect Legendary Edition
- Final Fantasy 14
- Fallout 4
- Baldur's Gate 3 (the potential at least)
- Elder Scrolls Online
- Cyberpunk 2077
- Hogwarts Legacy
- Minecraft (modded)

veteran
veteran
My most played games are Baldurs Gate 1 & 2, the Dragon Age games, Morrowind, Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines, SWTOR.

I'm currently playing Guild Wars 2 again. I like the game and the community and am still doing the main story for the first time. I started Heart of Thorns with my Soulbeast ranger Sylvari. And I just finished getting the necessary Hero Points for my Asura necromancer to make her a Harbinger. She will be my Event/World Bosses/ group content character for now, while I keep doing the storyline with my ranger.

Last edited by fylimar; 26/04/23 07:55 AM.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
veteran
veteran
I do want them t0 do a sequel to Control and since the Hiss are still technically infecting the FBC then they have a lot of places they could go with that.
It is great that they are getting a bigger budget for Control 2 (50 million vs 30 million)! celebrate
https://investors.remedygames.com/a...-agreement-with-505-games-for-control-2/

Stray was a lot of fun, and it's a beautiful story. Not a lot of replay value but the game rewards you for acting like a cat and doing pointless stuff. They really nailed proper cat behavior.
Sounds perfect!🐈🐈🐈

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by crst
Thank you for recommending P Wotr guys, I just bought it and so far I am glued to it.
In just my current playthrough of WotR I'm at over 400 hours.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by fylimar
My most played games are Baldurs Gate 1 & 2, the Dragon Age games, Morrowind, Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines, SWTOR.

I'm currently playing Guild Wars 2 again. I like the game and the community and am still doing the main story for the first time. I started Heart of Thorns with my Soulbeast ranger Sylvari. And I just finished getting the necessary Hero Points for my Asura necromancer to make her a Harbinger. She will be my Event/World Bosses/ group content character for now, while I keep doing the storyline with my ranger.

Yes GW2 is nice, especially the diving, but I stopped with Cantha. On the HoT maps you should get the Smokescale for your Soulbeast.

I reinstalled TESO yesterday to continue with the One Tamriel story and to bridge the time to BG 3 release with thieving tours. The lock picking of the treasure chests I find very nice made should BG 3 take over instead of the stupid dice rolling.

Last edited by Lotus Noctus; 26/04/23 02:38 PM.
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
[quote=Blackheifer]I do want them t0 do a sequel to Control and since the Hiss are still technically infecting the FBC then they have a lot of places they could go with that.
It is great that they are getting a bigger budget for Control 2 (50 million vs 30 million)! celebrate
https://investors.remedygames.com/a...-agreement-with-505-games-for-control-2/

OMG! This is the best news! Thank you! It will be years before it gets released but damn that is exciting!

I am playing Alan Wake right now, and will check out Alan Wake II when it gets released this year since they are both the same universe. I am enjoying the story and gameplay although ideally I really want to play more Control.

How is Quantum Break? I can't buy it now because it's de-listed due to Music Licensing issues but I was thinking about checking it out.

Blackheifer
veteran
veteran
That's easy for me as during covid I have been playing around with some favourite top 10s. It what I would call my favourite titles of all time - if I were to list "the best games" some titles would get swapped.

• Baldur's Gate 2
  • Thief: The Dark Project
  • Deus Ex
  • Spelunky HD
  • Sid Mayer's Pirates!
  • UFO: Enemy Unknown
  • Fallout: New Vegas
  • Dark Souls
  • Mafia
  • Celeste

Honorable mentions:
Max Payne, Super Meat Boy, Invisible Inc., Planescape: Torment, Portal, Fallout1, DMC5

Movie list:

• Chinatown
  • Taxi Driver
  • Godfather
  • Wind Rises
  • Inside Llywin Davis
  • Sunset Boulevard
  • The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
  • Ghost in the Shell (95)
  • The Fountain
  • The Fiddler on the Roof

Honorable mentions:
Goodfellas, Spirited Away, Fargo, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, There Will be Blood, Apocalypse Now (theatrical cut), Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb, Grave of the Fireflies

Last edited by Wormerine; 26/04/23 03:29 PM.
veteran
veteran
How is Quantum Break? I can't buy it now because it's de-listed due to Music Licensing issues but I was thinking about checking it out.
I haven’t played that one yet. Should add it to my list!

old hand
old hand
Hmm. Top 10? After thinking about it really quick, I realized I can't order them properly. My list is kinda out there compared to most people here, but it's very gameplay systems-focused, since I've played very few games where I'd say the writing is actually legitimately good rather than written as an excuse overall.

- Dragon's Dogma
- FFXIV
- Crystal Project
- Megaman Battle Network series
- Divinity Original Sin series (I shit on 2 constantly for the balance in the last third of the game, but I can't deny the first 2/3rds is magical)
- Monster Hunter (series)
- Octopath Traveler 2 (first one was average at best, 2 improved so much that it's legitimately the best JRPG released in the past decade)
- Freelancer
- Disco Elysium
- Pathfinder series

---

I've been trying out Honkai Star Rail just to see what the hell the big deal is, and especially because pre-release interviews indicated that they were huge fans of the Trails series, considered the best written JRPGs overall (though I consider it highly overrated now, after how badly the Cold Steel arc jumped the shark and were clearly increasingly leaning towards fanservice crap to majorly pad things in the latter half to the point where it was obvious the writers didn't have an actual plan).

The game strangely enough has flavor text for lots of random things, like trash cans, mailboxes, and street lamps. All of them indicate the player character is not that well adjusted.

And even closets.

https://www.reddit.com/r/HonkaiStar..._closet_must_have_a_deep_lore_behind_it/

That combined with some unexpectedly mindfuckery lore things that would take way too long to explain the context...

[Linked Image from cdn.discordapp.com]

Someone on the dev team has definitely played Disco Elysium.

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 27/04/23 07:28 AM.
veteran
veteran
I haven’t played that one yet. Should add it to my list!
I heard it is not as good (a bit awkward mix of game and TV show). It just now popped up back on Gamepass.

veteran
veteran
As a side note, MandaloreGaming just published one of his long form reviews/retrospectives about Wrath of the Righteous.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Page 3 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 22 23

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard