but they sorted that in act 1
They did? O_o

So ... there is something wrong with my game? :-/

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
There is just litteraly no darker tone ... as if half of collor palete is mising. frown

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 12/06/23 01:42 PM.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Warlocke
... if Larian decided that thematically BG3 was just going to be about a group of rogues, misfits and outcasts flung together by circumstance and forced to do the Final Fantasy climax of killing God with the power of friendship, I’d be totally here for that.
Sorry but this is a strong 'no' for me. For me, many of the companions currently revealed are ones I'd be strongly tempted to kill myself. And I won't play the game with empty-suit mercs. So I want my all-good party of companions.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by kanisatha
... if Larian decided that thematically BG3 was just going to be about a group of rogues, misfits and outcasts flung together by circumstance and forced to do the Final Fantasy climax of killing God with the power of friendship, I’d be totally here for that.
Sorry but this is a strong 'no' for me. For me, many of the companions currently revealed are ones I'd be strongly tempted to kill myself. And I won't play the game with empty-suit mercs. So I want my all-good party of companions.

I don't have as much dislike for the current companions, but I agree overall with Kanisatha. You can have a group of rogues,misfits and outcasts who are more obviously good. I believe that Wyll in particular is a good person at heart, but this group simply is not satisfactory when we've been promised different.

enthusiast
enthusiast
for those who are eager to know all playable races and classes, you pray is getting the answer. from their latest Steam post.[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Last edited by ALexws; 12/06/23 03:16 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Originally Posted by Xzoviac
but they sorted that in act 1
They did? O_o

So ... there is something wrong with my game? :-/

There is just litteraly no darker tone ... as if half of collor palete is mising. frown
Yeah larian choice in color pallets are gross and too bright, but at least the lighting in act 1 is better then it used to be

Dont think they will ever sort the color pallets out though

Maybe modders will

Last edited by Xzoviac; 12/06/23 03:40 PM.
Back in May, I was optimistic :

So I expect that :
* We will be lost in the character creator, surprised by all the esthetical/customization possibilities, races and subclasses finally available, including starting equipment, roll the dices system, other backgrounds etc.
* Baldur's gate will be explored in 2 phasis : first in-depth, with both plot-related and non related possibilities of exploration (we need of course several inn and taverns), then under siege
* We will have really several different story archs / endings that we will be able to explore only with different runs
* The game will be really huge, like 200 hours + : with epic story, twists and solid exploration of planes
* The Act 1 will really offer a new overall experience
* They will fix some aspects to be a little closer to D&D 5e and to avoid homebrew collateral OP-ness
* We will get some good surprises for things like day/night, random encounter, nice big map ala former BG, an impression of vastness of the country with even secondary possibilities of exploration, etc. (not all our wishes, but surely several)
* The Main Char will be as interesting (if not more) than an origin character

And now the recent community update seems to go in this direction on some aspects at least (or maybe the game will be even more huge...)

As for the races and classes, hey, after what they just said and the way they said it, I highly doubt that the 7th July it will only be :
"So, you will have half-orc, dragonborn and monks. That's all folks !"
I doooubt it... They are in the mood of scaling things up and upper...

Last edited by Lunar Dante; 12/06/23 04:38 PM.
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Lunar Dante
As for the races and classes, hey, after what they just said and the way they said it, I highly doubt that the 7th July it will only be :

Well, I'd be very happy if there were some more non-PHB races and classes announced, but I'm not going to let myself get carried away and will be more than content if we just get the rest of the PHB races/classes/subclasses confirmed, or at least most of them. Anything else I'd treat as an unexpected bonus!

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Lunar Dante
I doooubt it...
I most certainly do hope you are corect ...
On the other hand tho, they made quite big fuss about adding Gnomes and Paladins (or was it Barbarian?) aswell ... so ... just maybe, trying to hold our expectation in check wouldnt be bad idea. laugh

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost

I don't have as much dislike for the current companions, but I agree overall with Kanisatha. You can have a group of rogues,misfits and outcasts who are more obviously good. I believe that Wyll in particular is a good person at heart, but this group simply is not satisfactory when we've been promised different.
Yup. And as an aside, I can't really count Jaheira and Minsc here either. If I want to play with them in my party I can always fire up BG1. For a new game I want fresh, new companions in my party and not some old retreads. I'll grudgingly use them in my party if I have no other choice, but giving me old retreads as the promised good companions is a hugely lame copout.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Yup. And as an aside, I can't really count Jaheira and Minsc here either. If I want to play with them in my party I can always fire up BG1. For a new game I want fresh, new companions in my party and not some old retreads.

Out of interest, would you not use Minsc and Jaheira in BG2 for the same reason, or does the fact that it follows almost immediately on from BG1 excuse it? I’ll admit that I’m not yet a total convert to the idea of having them as opposed to new characters for my party in BG3, but the thing that partly reconciles me to it is the fact they’ve already been “retreads” in the second game and I can see the appeal of having at least a character or two who can be a companion for every series entry and perhaps help bring the series together by highlighting elements of continuity and bringing to life BG history. Plus there’s an opportunity for richness of interaction with these that wasn’t available in original games, and certainly not BG1 (Jaheira admittedly did get more companion content in BG2 than, I think, any other party member).

Personally, I’m willing to wait and see whether Minsc and Jaheira will fully justify the way they are included in the game as more than fan service. It could still go either way for me.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
veteran
veteran
Speaking as someone who hasn't really played the original games before, I think having Jaheira and Minsc in the party is totally fine so long as they aren't the only firmly good characters. If they are then I'd personally feel like we were denied fresh, new characters because those two took up time and space on the roster. And I think this matters even for newcomer players because returning characters are likely going to have a distinct vibe to them that new ones won't. I think having them return in the second game is entirely appropriate since I believe it's a direct sequel so of course there'd be some continuity of companions. It's like in Dragon Age when Varric came back for the third game. And technically Anders coming back for the second game is a case of that as well. And look at Garrus and Tali from Mass Effect. For direct sequel games, that continuity helps keep a thread going. For BG3 I think the distance makes that less necessary. However I do think having the presence of past companions is something important. However I'd have preferred something like how Leliana in Inquisition was an advisor rather than a party member. I think that would have been a better use for Jaheira, and she could have had some sort of protege (not necessarily a child) that joins you instead.

On a related note, they've announced Minst and Jaheira are gonna be in the game as companions, they've even announced Minsc's voice actor, I wonder why they haven't shown up in the marketing more alongside the other companions? It's not even like monks, and the remaining phb races where Larian's kinda said they're confirmed but they're being reticent. Minsc was the centre of a trailer and they made a whole big deal about getting his voice actor. Arguably they made a bigger deal about Matt Mercer than they have about the villains' voice actors.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
On a related note, they've announced Minst and Jaheira are gonna be in the game as companions, they've even announced Minsc's voice actor, I wonder why they haven't shown up in the marketing more alongside the other companions?

I'm guessing their content is either too spoilery, or else is something Larian are building up to and we'll see more soon!

veteran
veteran
They could be spoilery, but nothing was stopping Larian from just having a scene of one of them wandering Baldur's Gate in that city reveal trailer with the rest of the companions. That's the kind of thing I mean.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by ALexws
for those who are eager to know all playable races and classes, you pray is getting the answer. from their latest Steam post.[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

OH BABY. don't get my hopes up!

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

S
old hand
old hand
S
I have some pity for the people who has been desperately expecting non PHB content for more than 3 years, it has to be torture at this point.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Indeed!

I’ve just been reminding myself of what’s still missing from the PHB, and there’s a decent amount. On a quick and possibly incomplete survey, there’s the half-orc and dragonborn races, a few backgrounds, all three PHB flavours of monk (Four Elements, Open Hand, Shadow), four cleric domains (knowledge, nature, tempest, war), the Champion fighter (though I’m not sure anyone’s going to be clamouring for that as the consensus seems to be that it’s dull), Oath of Vengeance paladin, Assassin rogue, Archfey warlock (plus pacts of the blade and tome?) and six wizard schools (Conjuration, Divination, Enchantment, Illusion, Necromancy, Transmutation). Larian might decide some of those don’t translate well, but even if we got most of them that would be a pretty big reveal in itself. And if they announce multi-classing …

I guess I’d be slightly surprised if there were absolutely no more non-PHB content because Larian seem to be the kind of studio that might decide something’s so cool they want it in (like the Oathbreaker) but my guess would be that anything else added would be because it ties in closely with the plot or it’s a class they wanted for one of their NPCs. For example, if Ketheric were a Death domain cleric, which I thought looked to be a possibility, then we might be able to pick that for our PCs too. Or if Gortash is an artificer grin.

All total speculation of course, but it seems that the more info I’m given the more impatient I get!

addict
addict
Originally Posted by snowram
I have some pity for the people who has been desperately expecting non PHB content for more than 3 years, it has to be torture at this point.

I’ve got my big non PHB ask already. Many seem un happy with it, but I am over the moon with the Oath Breaker. Every thing else is fine.

veteran
veteran
“flying to the hidden rooftop nest of Gale's pet tressym”
So great!💕🐈‍⬛

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by snowram
I would love to see artificer ( a class that seems to play a bigger role in the story, given the new antagonist and his automatons) and hexblade, to recreate two of my p&p characters ( gnome artificer and tiefling hexblade/sorceress). But it's not end of the world, if the aren't in. It's just nice to have.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
Concerning classes, I expect (almost) all PHB subclasses. Then, (very) probably artificer (plot related, plus the word "artificer" appears many times in game, and not only with the explosives theme...), and some bonus subclasses.

A lot of subclasses are not time consuming to implement : no need to add dialogues, just some bonus/feat/effect added to a class already built, like with a permanent magic item. So, since they are now demonstrating they can amaze us with a huge quantity of work & possibilities (Baldur's Gate city and "Looking at what’s in Act 1 Early Access right now, it’s fair to say that you’ve really only seen a glimmer of the full experience to come"), it is possible that there will be a lot of bonus subclasses (and particularly about shadows, death, psychic, planes...)

As for races, we know thanks to datamining, they had initially the intention to implement many bonus races : including warforge, aasimar, tabaxi, aarakocra, genasi etc.. and that this information disappeared later. Maybe the project was dropped, maybe it was just hidden. In this case, it might represent a lot more work than with some subclass (dialogues and choices...). But they also initially had the intention to offer a lighter version of baldur's gate, and we know how it ended.
I will be blown away if they keep all the races initially datamined (without dinosaur), but I expect at least 2-3 non PHB races since they are starting to show off a bit (which is well deserved).

P.S : oh, by the way, NOW I want to meet Captain Morrow in the flesh and on the New Bride in the Astral Sea !

Last edited by Lunar Dante; 13/06/23 07:04 AM.
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard