Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Mungrul
I think snowram misinterpreted me. I meant relationship as in its more broad definition , not romance.
I was saying that aside from banter, there is currently no meaningful interaction between characters, and they only exist to have meaningful interactions with the PC.

Even Wrath's character that's closest to the BG3 "hidden background" trope, Camellia, is more interesting than almost all of the BG3 companions.

Again demonstrating this is a matter of taste smile. I played WotR recently and thought the companions were mainly okay to pretty good, but wasn't blown away. Personally, based on what we have at this stage, I'm hoping to be more engaged by BG3's gang, though of course we only have a first part of their story and that in an early access version so I'll wait for the full game before passing final judgement one way or another.

I do agree, as I now realise I've already said above in this thread, that the intraparty dynamic is lacking in EA and needs work if the game is going to live up to its potential.

I also now note that I'd suggested that we start a new thread if we're going to continue talking about companion writing quality which is only tangentially related to the original question. So if the discussion of it continues after this post I'll split it out into a new topic.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by neprostoman
I find BG3 companions to be interesting. In our daily lives we tend to surround ourselves by people we generally like, thats why a-holes stick with a-holes and good souls stick with good souls. What makes this game's dynamic interesting is that different personalities happen to group with other people not because of their general temper match but because of their common condition. Parties where there are internal personal conflicts are much more interesting to develop into something beautiful later, at least for me.

It is the same for me, I couldn't have said it better myself.

I like to gradually learn more about our companions and discover more aspects of their personalities, for me, this is one of the most interesting parts of the game.

As for the NPCs: I like them, very much, even with only a few lines of dialogue, they all have their own personality.
(I hope we will meet the cute tiefling couple we've met at the Druid Grove again in Baldur's Gate. And I wonder if she's working as a teacher, a baker or a butcher 😄)

B
old hand
old hand
B
Originally Posted by Lyelle
(I hope we will meet the cute tiefling couple we've met at the Druid Grove again in Baldur's Gate. And I wonder if she's working as a teacher, a baker or a butcher 😄)
I thought the "blood excites me!" teen was their daughter?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Buba68

I was thinking about the two who were also at the party later, Bex and Danis, the couple we can eavesdrop on when they make plans for their life in Baldur's Gate and talk about having a cat and a house with a little cat door. I can understand Danis' surprised and slightly bewildered reaction when Bex states that she could work as a butcher, because blood excites her. I wouldn't have expected that either 😄

I'm glad that we saw Alfira in the Baldur's Gate trailer, I like her a lot. I think the game is full of likeable and interesting NPCs.

And with even more NPCs in the city itself, I guess I'll spend hours and hours talking to everyone. And then use a spell or potion to speak with every last animal 😂

B
old hand
old hand
B
Originally Posted by Buba68

I was thinking about the two who were also at the party later, Bex and Danis, the couple we can eavesdrop on when they make plans for their life in Baldur's Gate and talk about having a cat and a house with a little cat door. I can understand Danis' surprised and slightly bewildered reaction when Bex states that she could work as a butcher, because blood excites her.
SNIP
I think the game is full of likeable and interesting NPCs.
Besides my dislike of Gawblins! and displke of Tieflings it was overheard snippets like them which make me exterminate the Absolute Cult. Even though my Lollth Devotee side despairs at missed opportunity to sow strife in the Overlight.

And with even more NPCs in the city itself, I guess I'll spend hours and hours talking to everyone. And then use a spell or potion to speak with every last animal 😂
I picked a Oath of the Ancients Paladin for my current playthrough for the Speak with Animals spell.

D
journeyman
journeyman
D
I like that each companion has a foible. Gale is pretty chill but he has an inflated sense of self and asks a lot before giving anything back.

Wyll is also pretty cool but has rage issues against goblins. His warlock thing is an issue of poor judgement in youth and he knows that and regrets it.

Astarion is an A-hole but he's not an idiot and is smart enough to know he needs more than himself to survive.

Shadowheart was raised to be an a-hole but she isn't at heart and her good side is breaking through despite her best efforts.

Lae'Zel is an A-hole but she is entitrely the product of her upbringing. She's been abused and molded into the fighter she is and doesn't know any other way.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
I really don't like it because frankly, it makes them feel more two-dimensional. To me the lack of interaction with each other makes them feel even more like they only exist for the main character. In DAO we got so many varied relationships within the party. Alistair's mistrust of Morrigan, his surrogate mother/son relationship with Wynn, Leliana's curiosity about Sten, Oghren's buddy-buddy relationship with Zevran, that made them feel so deep and real. They were people capable of existing when they weren't talking to us. DA2 took that to a whole other level. Fenris and Anders' seething hate for each other, Anders and Merill's contention relationship because of her blood magic. Merill and Isabella's fondness for each other, with Merill's admiration and Isabella's protectiveness. Varric being friends with everyone of course. Their party banter was even able to show off deeper layers of their relationships with one another and by extension, themselves. Pathfinder: Kingmaker? I can point you to Tristian and Regongar's unexpectedgood relationship, or Harrim's understandingand tolerance for everyone around him in spite of his doom and gloom attitude.

The BG3 companions have none of this. They're not people, they're stories for you to interact with. Their party banter is entirely predictable. I think that the fact our Tav is the only one they end up clashing with makes their abrasive personalities worse on reflection, because we end up feeling like their sounding board. They don't exist as mirrors for us, but they exist just to tell us about themselves. This is amplified by the factthey're all very self-involved and selfish in their quests. Even Wyll, who I do think is good at his core, his quest is a selfish one. So there's the disconnect where they exist only to interact with us, and get reactions out of us, but at the same time they're all entirely self-involved. And I think for some people that leads to a wrong balance, where it feels not like they exist to give us their stories, but that we, our Tavs exist to recieve their stories. That they're the most important things and we're just there to interact with them.

This is further exacerbated by the situation where, in my opinion, our Tavs aren't really able to exert a lot of personality in response to them. If we don't want to be rude jerks to them then our only option is to be kind of meek and passive and to sit there while they give us their stories. And I think that is without question the worst thing this game does, and as far as I'm concerned, that lack of flexible player personality - especially compared to other rpgs - is why this game kind of fails as a roleplay experience and is in my eyes, a middling experience overall.

This was extremely well put and I couldn't agree more. The only character I currently enjoy is Shadowheart. The rest I couldn't care less if they were wiped from the game, and some I actively loathe. I also feel like Tav is really soulless, but I expect playing an origin character will help with that. I just don't like the origins or their characters 😕

G
G
We have had the Atomic Age, The Space Age, The Information Age, and any others I can't recall;

Welcome to "The Age of the Asshole"!

I am sooo impressed with the sheer scope of this game, but I must say that one of this game's biggest flaws was the choice to model their world after modern Earth, rather than creating an alien fantasy world that we could escape to.

"Calgon, take me away!"

Last edited by Grizzmyt; 03/07/23 09:08 PM.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard