Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 14 of 23 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 22 23
W
veteran
veteran
W
A complete 180 from talk of Skyrim- I played the Final Fantasy 16 demo, and holy hell, it is good. It’s nice to see Square Enix back on top of their game after almost 2 decades of not having their shit together (though many would argue that they already recovered with FF14, but I don’t like MMOs so that’s not relevant to me).

Generally, I prefer RPGs that give a lot of freedom. Let me decide whom my character is and what he says and does. But my favorite games are actually the ones that just have me sit back and tell me an amazing story. There are very few games that I would consider truly successful at this. FF7 - FF10 a few of them. FF16 looks like it’s going to be another.

veteran
veteran
I also don’t like first person, so Avowed isn’t a game I am interested in. Too bad they couldn’t do both like Bethesda, but it is probably expensive to do so.

Originally Posted by Warlocke
A complete 180 from talk of Skyrim- I played the Final Fantasy 16 demo, and holy hell, it is good. It’s nice to see Square Enix back on top of their game after almost 2 decades of not having their shit together (though many would argue that they already recovered with FF14, but I don’t like MMOs so that’s not relevant to me).
Great! Can’t wait!😊

Last edited by Icelyn; 13/06/23 02:29 PM.
W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by Icelyn
I also don’t like first person, so Avowed isn’t a game I am interested in. Too bad they couldn’t do both like Bethesda, but it is probably expensive to do so.

Yeah, there aren’t many games that do both successfully. Bethesda games do both and each feel quite janky. The only games I can think of off the top of my head that have decent 1st and 3rd person gameplay are Rockstar games.

veteran
veteran
I'm not a fan of first person, but I love Pillars of Eternity and I still enjoyed The Outer Worlds quite a lot, so I am game for it. I've been looking forward to Avowed ever since that first teaser trailer.

S
old hand
old hand
S
But I don’t think lore is the main strength of TES. I think it’s the absolute freedom to play how you want. Do you want to be a dread necromancer bringing terror to the land? Sure. Do you want to be a virtuous Paladin on a mission to complete the main quest? Go ahead. Do you want to be a thief who breaks into every dwelling and steals all of the spoons in the game world? Have at it..
I wouldn't say that Skyrim has "absolute freedom", merely a good illusion of it. There are no roleplaying choises since every quests bare the civil war and in a lesser extend dawnguard offer the same path for everybody. The gameplay is also very polarized, you are basically pushed by the game into two categories : sneaky rogue archer or two hands heavy armor tank. Spells are a joke so don't even count them as a play style.

W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by snowram
But I don’t think lore is the main strength of TES. I think it’s the absolute freedom to play how you want. Do you want to be a dread necromancer bringing terror to the land? Sure. Do you want to be a virtuous Paladin on a mission to complete the main quest? Go ahead. Do you want to be a thief who breaks into every dwelling and steals all of the spoons in the game world? Have at it..
I wouldn't say that Skyrim has "absolute freedom", merely a good illusion of it. There are no roleplaying choises since every quests bare the civil war and in a lesser extend dawnguard offer the same path for everybody. The gameplay is also very polarized, you are basically pushed by the game into two categories : sneaky rogue archer or two hands heavy armor tank. Spells are a joke so don't even count them as a play style.

When I’m talking about absolute freedom to play how you want I’m referring to player agency to approach the game as a sandbox. Nothing to do with storytelling and role playing, which are very bare bones.

I played as neither a sneaky archer nor a heavy tank. I played most of the game as an enchanter / illusionist thief with no direct damage spells or weapons before eventually becoming a necromancer who sat back and watched my minions take care of everything for me. It was awesome and completely valid as a play style.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
I played the Final Fantasy 16 demo, and holy hell, it is good.

That’s great to hear! Not having a PS5 this isn’t of immediate concern to me, but something to look forward to in the longer term.

(I did actually buy a PlayStation in order to play FFVII and a PS2 to play FFX, but I’ve clearly learned at least some patience with age as I’m not yet tempted to do the same for 16. At least as long as I steer clear of most of the hype grin.)

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
S
old hand
old hand
S

When I’m talking about absolute freedom to play how you want I’m referring to player agency to approach the game as a sandbox. Nothing to do with storytelling and role playing, which are very bare bones.

I played as neither a sneaky archer nor a heavy tank. I played most of the game as an enchanter / illusionist thief with no direct damage spells or weapons before eventually becoming a necromancer who sat back and watched my minions take care of everything for me. It was awesome and completely valid as a play style.
Approach the game as a sandbox? Even in 2011, previous TES games were miles ahead on that front. Dungeons are extremely linear so you can't use any of your tools for anything else that doing damage or stunning enemies. Access to said dungeons is always straightforward, and you always access those by the front door and leave it by the back door. Random encounters aren't interesting at all, 90% of the time it is just some wolves that you just have to one shot. Spells are interesting in the same way playing blindfolded is interesting. They are so clunky and sub optimal compared to W + left click since their scaling is terrible. Playing with invocations is only good because Skyrim IA is a broken mess and make you invincible as long as you have a friendly unit aside of you.
Modern Zelda games are what Skyrim could only dream to achieve, where every situation has dozens of varied answers.

W
veteran
veteran
W

Approach the game as a sandbox? Even in 2011, previous TES games were miles ahead on that front. Dungeons are extremely linear so you can't use any of your tools for anything else that doing damage or controlling enemies. Access to said dungeons is always straightforward, and you always access those by the front door and leave it by the back door. Random encounters aren't interesting at all, 90% of the time it is just some wolves that you just have to one shot. Spells are interesting in the same way playing blindfolded is interesting. They are so clunky and sub optimal compared to W + left click since their scaling is terrible. Playing with invocations is only good because Skyrim IA is a broken mess and make you invincible as long as you have a friendly unit aside of you.
Modern Zelda games are what Skyrim could only dream to achieve, where every situation has dozens of varied answers.

I don’t disagree with anything you are saying there so I don’t know what point you are trying to make.

addict
addict
DDO (Dungeons and Dragons Online)
MW2 (Modern Warfare 2)
And.... Still playing BG3 HAHA

DRAGON FIRE-AND DOOM Dragons? Splendid things, lad-so long as ye look upon them only in tapestries, or in the masks worn at revels, or from about three realms off...
Astragarl Hornwood, Mage of Elembar - Year of the Tusk
S
old hand
old hand
S
I don’t disagree with anything you are saying there so I don’t know what point you are trying to make.
The original point about this discussion was "I think it’s the absolute freedom to play how you want". My opinion is that in the open world category, Skyrim has as much freedom as North Korea.

W
veteran
veteran
W
The original point about this discussion was "I think it’s the absolute freedom to play how you want". My opinion is that in the open world category, Skyrim has as much freedom as North Korea.

Well, no, the original point was that the main draw for TES (not specifically Skyrim, you brought that up) is not the lore. The lore is fine, and there is a lot of it, but that’s not the main thing people talk about for the series. It’s the sense of exploration and freedom. But if you think Skyrim is North Korea, what’s God of War, Call of Duty, Uncharted, Halo and the 9X% of games with less freedom choose how you want to play?

S
old hand
old hand
S

Well, no, the original point was that the main draw for TES (not specifically Skyrim, you brought that up) is not the lore. The lore is fine, and there is a lot of it, but that’s not the main thing people talk about for the series. It’s the sense of exploration and freedom. But if you think Skyrim is North Korea, what’s God of War, Call of Duty, Uncharted, Halo and the 9X% of games with less freedom choose how you want to play?
Those aren't open world games, I donlt play those to experience freedom.

veteran
veteran
I started playing Star War The Old Republic again. I'm mainly playing my Twilek smuggler through the storyline and my Zabrak Jedi knight. My Main character, Twilek shadow, is still doing the new content, but the Mandalorian storyline is sooo boring, so I often find myself doing other stuff.

I'm still playing Guild Wars 2 too, doing a lot of stuff for ascended armor and the Skyscale.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
D
stranger
stranger
D
I'm playing Diablo 4, Conan Exiles and Neverwinter. I'm not sure I'll continue my experience with BG3 unless I can create a custom party for single player.

W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by Darth Baggins
I'm playing Diablo 4, Conan Exiles and Neverwinter. I'm not sure I'll continue my experience with BG3 unless I can create a custom party for single player.

You can.

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
I recently began the Solasta DLC that just dropped. I have really enjoyed the previous outings with this title and it is definitely a worthy title for anyone jonesing for some really well made D&D content while waiting for BG3.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Wormerine
And Avowed will not be Elder Scrolls6:
CEO Feargus Urquhart told me that in scope Avowed is more akin to Obsidian's past RPGs like The Outer Worlds in size than it is a sprawling open world a la Skyrim, though that was actually Obsidian's initial pitch. When the developers sat down and focused on what Obsidian does best—stories and companions, in particular—the more compact scale came naturally.
Yeah this is what's in the second of those PC Gamer links I posted, that Avowed was rebooted to NOT be like Skyrim.

But as others here have said I also just cannot play first-person games. So as much as I absolutely LOVE Obsidian's games, I may very sadly have to pass on Avowed if it doesn't include a third-person option.

veteran
veteran
I'm going to give Obsidian the benefit of the doubt, but so far nothing about Avowed has really stuck to me. If they made an effort to de-Skyrimize it, I'm not seeing it; and if they didn't tell me it was set in the Pillars world I wouldn't know.

There's mention of an emperor, I don't remember a lot about the world lore from Pillars, but there's an Byzantium stand in, Old Vellis or something right? Is this set far in the past from the games?

Based on this and the Outer Worlds, I'm worried Obsidian has given up on making interesting games in favor of trend chasing.

Last edited by Sozz; 14/06/23 05:23 PM.
W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by Sozz
I'm going to give Obsidian the benefit of the doubt, but so far nothing about Avowed has really stuck to me. If they made an effort to de-Skyrimize it, I'm not seeing it; and if they didn't tell me it was set in the Pillars world I wouldn't know.

There's mention of an emperor, I don't remember a lot about the world lore from Pillars, but there's an Byzantium stand in, Old Vellis or something right? Is this set far in the past from the games?

Based on this and the Outer Worlds, I'm worried Obsidian has given up on making interesting games in favor of trend chasing.

Obsidian stuck to their guns for a long time, but they were always teetering on the brink of collapse. I can’t really blame them for trying to find a formula that works.

I do hope they survive becoming part of MS. Not all studios do, and even if I’m not playing their games, I’m always rooting for Obsidian.

Page 14 of 23 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 22 23

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard