Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 15 of 23 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 22 23
veteran
veteran
I understand that, I was happy that The Outer Worlds was a success for that reason, even though I've not played it.
The Outer Worlds looked like a soft ball over the plate, half a game, made to bring money in and keep people working, but if it's really what their games are going to start looking like from now on that's a shame.

veteran
veteran
I thought The Outer Worlds was a really good that had some really cool ideas in it. Calling it half a game definitely feels unfair. I enjoyed it enough to play it twice, once with the DLC, which were fantastic. I deeply want them to go back and do PoE 3, but Outer Worlds and Avowed are types of game I think definitely have a place. So if Avowed is Outer Worlds but better, I think that's a good thing, personally.

veteran
veteran
I'm not saying it's unfinished or even bad, just that from everything I've seen, The Outer Worlds seemed like the first idea, the idea you start with, it's an interesting concept that you then refine into an interesting story.

I'm glad you had fun with it, if I ever get around to playing it, I'm sure I can have fun with it too.

W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by Sozz
I'm not saying it's unfinished or even bad, just that from everything I've seen, The Outer Worlds seemed like the first idea, the idea you start with, it's an interesting concept that you then refine into an interesting story.

I'm glad you had fun with it, if I ever get around to playing it, I'm sure I can have fun with it too.

That actually spot on the impression that I came away with from watching a few reviews.

veteran
veteran
I'm going to give Obsidian the benefit of the doubt, but so far nothing about Avowed has really stuck to me. If they made an effort to de-Skyrimize it, I'm not seeing it; and if they didn't tell me it was set in the Pillars world I wouldn't know.

There's mention of an emperor, I don't remember a lot about the world lore from Pillars, but there's an Byzantium stand in, Old Vellis or something right? Is this set far in the past from the games?
I am more or less with you. The recent trailer looked pretty bland to me, and it is only Obsidian name and EoraTM that has me interested.

Still as Pillars junkie interested I am.

So yeah, unlike the first teaser I found this one blandly un-Eora like, but it is Eora alright - Aumaua, Xaurips, Adra vein, recognisable spells, Living Lands, casting from spellbook etc.

Okey, PoE lore, how much you wanna know laezelapprove Like in PoE1&2 Obsidian is avoiding having to represent a major nation and is sticking to less populated colonies. First was Dyrwood, than Deadfire, and Avowed will take place in the Living Lands. There are couple old superpowers at play - Old Valia is one, yes, but the one relevant here is Aedyr Empire. Homeland of our old chum Aloth and a very Woedica devoted nation of mostly humans and elfs ruled by fercönyng and mecwyn. They were the founders of the colony of Dyrwood (in which PoE1 took place) though it rebelled and became independent quite sometime before the events of that game.

Anyway, it's been confirmed that playable character in Avowed is customisable but pretty predefined. They will be human or elf and they are an envoy of the emperor (or fercönyng for the cool kids) of Aedyr.

Some companions from previous games (and Deadfire specifically) are meant to appear so it likely takes place after the events of Deadfire. There was also a book in the final DLC for Deadfire that was long suspected to be a teaser for the Avowed, and would support this timeline.

Last edited by Wormerine; 14/06/23 07:48 PM.
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
I quite liked Outer Worlds, but though I made it through to the end I was glad when it was done and never played the DLC. If it's better than the main game then perhaps one day I'll return to it!

There was something about the kitschy yet kinda fascistic vibe contrasting against truly awful living conditions I really enjoyed, and I certainly laughed out loud plenty when playing. I think it reminded me in some ways of what I vaguely recall of Fallout 3, though as I think I've mentioned here already I never finished that despite being initially impressed. And despite some great ideas and touches, Outer Worlds somehow never quite came alive for me and I mainly found combat a chore to be got through. That's at least partly, but not wholly I think, down to the first person perspective. But also another way in which the game reminded me of Fallout 3 smile. Still, glad I played Outer Worlds and I'll be keeping my eye on, and fingers crossed for, Outer Worlds 2. I think there's potential there.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Wormerine
I am more or less with you. The recent trailer looked pretty bland to me, and it is only Obsidian name and EoraTM that has me interested.

So yeah, unlike the first teaser I found this one blandly un-Eora like, but it is Eora alright - Aumaua, Xaurips, Adra vein, recognisable spells, Living Lands, casting from spellbook etc.

Okey, PoE lore, how much you wanna know laezelapprove
Like in PoE1&2 Obsidian is avoiding having to represent a major nation and is sticking to less populated colonies. First was Dyrwood, than Deadfire, and Avowed will take place in the Living Lands. There are couple old superpowers at play - Old Valia is one, yes, but the one relevant here is Aedyr Empire. Homeland of our old chum Aloth and a very Woedica devoted nation of mostly humans and elfs ruled by fercönyng and mecwyn. They were the founders of the colony of Dyrwood (in which PoE1 took place) though it rebelled and became independent quite sometime before the events of that game.

Anyway, it's been confirmed that playable character in Avowed is customisable but pretty predefined. They will be human or elf and they are an envoy of the emperor (or fercönyng for the cool kids) of Aedyr.

Some companions from previous games (and Deadfire specifically) are meant to appear so it likely takes place after the events of Deadfire. There was also a book in the final DLC for Deadfire that was long suspected to be a teaser for the Avowed, and would support this timeline.

I see, if they'd said fercönyng they could have avoided a lot of confusion. :hihi:

I love me some lore, but my PoE is a little rusty. I know we're dealing with a renaissance mix of noble republics and monarchies, I didn't realize that there were so many emperors about.
Knowing that it takes place after Deadfire is interesting considering the how that game can end.

I agree with you about the shift from the first teaser to this trailer.

Last edited by Sozz; 14/06/23 08:19 PM.
veteran
veteran
Knowing that it takes place after Deadfire is interesting considering the how that game can end.
That's my assumption based on reasons I listed, but I don't think it is 100% confirmed yet. I have my theories (come to Obsidian's forum for wild speculations!),

Originally Posted by The Red Queen
I quite liked Outer Worlds, but though I made it through to the end I was glad when it was done and never played the DLC. If it's better than the main game then perhaps one day I'll return to it!
I liked both the base game and DLCs just fine, but I paid enough attention to the marketing to have pretty modest expectaitons. OW is rather shallow and I felt it by the end of vanilla playthrough. DLCs only make it more clearer. This was definitely a game where DLCs would be better of as stand alone adventures. I would recommend the DLCs, but replaying the whole game for the 2nd time to play them - not so much.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by The Red Queen
I liked both the base game and DLCs just fine, but I paid enough attention to the marketing to have pretty modest expectaitons. OW is rather shallow and I felt it by the end of vanilla playthrough. DLCs only make it more clearer. This was definitely a game where DLCs would be better of as stand alone adventures. I would recommend the DLCs, but replaying the whole game for the 2nd time to play them - not so much.

Okay, thanks for the steer! Given that it sounds as though our judgement on the base game might have been similar, I'll trust you on the DLC too and not rush to a replay for its sake smile.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
veteran
veteran
I really , really tried to stick to Outer Worlds for a bit but I came out of the experience with really nothing particularly good to say about it.

Shallow subsystems and gameplay loops, hamfisted writing that made some remarkably unsubtle satire of corporate business, unimpressive visuals.

Even as someone who can really get into first person RPGs/immersive sims, I found no real drive to keep playing after a while.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Tuco
writing that made some remarkably unsubtle satire of corporate business

Personally I found the way OW executed the concept of exploitative company towns and mid twentieth century style consumerism in space quite clever and really funny. But clearly humour is subjective. I suppose I’d agree it’s not very subtle!

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Warlocke
Obsidian stuck to their guns for a long time, but they were always teetering on the brink of collapse. I can’t really blame them for trying to find a formula that works.

I do hope they survive becoming part of MS. Not all studios do, and even if I’m not playing their games, I’m always rooting for Obsidian.
There was Pentiment last year. That game actually had critical acclaim for its writing. Not Disco Elysium level, but enough that the mainstream press was raving about it for a while.

If Avowed manages to pull off something similar in the writing department, I think Obsidian will be fine.

veteran
veteran
I got the impression Pentiment was Sawyer's pet project, he said a number of times that he wasn't interested in another super complicated RPG project, of the kind they'd burnt out on, specifically Deadfire but I think New Vegas came up too.

As for the critical acclaim, I liked Pentiment, but to hear about from the games press you'd think they'd never heard of a visual novel before.

It'd be interesting if they made more games like it.

Last edited by Sozz; 15/06/23 08:57 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Saito Hikari
There was Pentiment last year. That game actually had critical acclaim for its writing.
If Avowed manages to pull off something similar in the writing department, I think Obsidian will be fine.
Yeah no, Pentiment was aimed at a very niche, potentially not gamer audience. I expect Avowed to go the pulpy route - more pulpy than PoE1&2 and definitely more pulpy than Pentiment.

Pentiment's brilliance came from exploring a historical setting - something games tend to shy from.

veteran
veteran
With the notable exception of Darklands, which incidentally was one of the greatest CRPGs ever made.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
Since I like the Pillars universe , I'm interested in Avowed, but I, too, am not fond of playing first person. Plus I'm not finished with Pillars yet.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
veteran
veteran
I'm going to give Obsidian the benefit of the doubt, but so far nothing about Avowed has really stuck to me. If they made an effort to de-Skyrimize it, I'm not seeing it; and if they didn't tell me it was set in the Pillars world I wouldn't know.

There's mention of an emperor, I don't remember a lot about the world lore from Pillars, but there's an Byzantium stand in, Old Vellis or something right? Is this set far in the past from the games?

Okey, PoE lore, how much you wanna know laezelapprove Like in PoE1&2 Obsidian is avoiding having to represent a major nation and is sticking to less populated colonies. First was Dyrwood, than Deadfire, and Avowed will take place in the Living Lands. There are couple old superpowers at play - Old Valia is one, yes, but the one relevant here is Aedyr Empire. Homeland of our old chum Aloth and a very Woedica devoted nation of mostly humans and elfs ruled by fercönyng and mecwyn. They were the founders of the colony of Dyrwood (in which PoE1 took place) though it rebelled and became independent quite sometime before the events of that game.

Good summary, @Wormerine. And I would add for @Sozz, Avowed will also not be like Skyrim in no longer being open-world. They now explicitly say they've traded big open-world for deeper storytelling.

apprentice
apprentice
Europa Universalis IV mostly and some Solasta

"Go for the eyes, Boo. GO FOR THE EYES! RrraaaAAGHGHH!"
W
veteran
veteran
W
Last night I built a mecha suit in Legend of Zelda. Never thought I’d ever say a sentence like that and I couldn’t be happier.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by kanisatha
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
No spoilers, but I'd be curious to see what percentage of people that did the secret ending of wotr looked at a guide for it. I find it VERY hard to believe that anyone could organically figure out all of that. There's no way I would have that's for sure. As it was I was reloading because of mistakes and I was reading a guide!
I'm using guides (plural) and have no problem saying so. I use guides quite often for many aspects of all the RPGs I play.
I also prefer to use the guide, it seems more interesting and clear.

Page 15 of 23 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 22 23

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard