Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 16 of 23 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 22 23
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Tuco
With the notable exception of Darklands, which incidentally was one of the greatest CRPGs ever made.
Darklands is from 1992 so it’s been a while (also one of Josh’s favs. Originally His historical game was meant to be like Darklands, before he started thinking of making a narrative adventure). There was also Kingdom Come.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Playing Diablo 4 Hardcore. Quite decent.

Tried FF 16 demo.. meh so boring, couldn’t force myself to “play” it more than 30 min. Dunno what the hype is about.

W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by ladydub

Tried FF 16 demo.. meh so boring, couldn’t force myself to “play” it more than 30 min. Dunno what the hype is about.

The gameplay, story, and presentation are all excellent but you don’t really get to see the full scope of any of that if you don’t make it through the tutorial. 😂

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I know Cyberpunk 2077 has had a lot of updates since release and there is another big one coming end of September, but is the game polished to the point where it is worth playing? Do choices matter yet? I don't want to jump back in only to be dissapointed.

Blackheifer
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
I know Cyberpunk 2077 has had a lot of updates since release and there is another big one coming end of September, but is the game polished to the point where it is worth playing? Do choices matter yet? I don't want to jump back in only to be dissapointed.
I played it for the first time after the Netflix show came out and it was still in a pretty rough shape. I can’t compare it 1.0 but I don’t think anything was changed content wise. The game was still buggy and very clunky to play.

The most interesting thing about the DLC is that it’s supposed to drop with system overhaul - skill trees were redesigned, apparently there is actual police system now, and apparently much more stuff. At the same time the news come from people who had hands on with the game, not CDPR - it seems the studio is weary of overhyping the update.

Which is needed. Even if Phantom Liberty will be excellent, it will be harder to convince me to slog through base story for the second time.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Warlocke

The gameplay, story, and presentation are all excellent but you don’t really get to see the full scope of any of that if you don’t make it through the tutorial. 😂

You think I should try again? I have never played any FF games (well, I tried FF7 remake - same result, I just can't. It is so, so boring. I remember suffering thru the game to the first town in FF7 and the first quest was to go outside an kill mutants in some tunnels. Don't think I ever exit and uninstall the game so fast, ever). FF16 gives me the same vibe - Edgy main character, bland environments, spammy combat...

I truly wish I could enjoy these games, but seems like jRPG have something that completely puts me off.

Originally Posted by Wormerine
[quote=Blackheifer]

Which is needed. Even if Phantom Liberty will be excellent, it will be harder to convince me to slog through base story for the second time.

I played CP2077 on release, and did not have any major issues. The game was absolutely fine on PC. Started another playthrough a month ago, trying to make different choices, playing a completely different build... it's a very good game. But yea I stopped, will wait for the big update.

CP2077 was a polished masterpiece compared to, let's say, Pathfinder:WotR. I've never played a buggier game in my 23 years of gaming experience. Half of the classes had some abilities that did not work, every class had broken archetypes, literally 2/3 of mid-late game powerful items didn't do what description stated or flat our didn't do anything at all, rules did not work as intended etc etc. While console version of the game is literally a SCAM. Yet I do not see any outrage online about this game, OWLCAT are busy making another buggy mess - while CD project is still "fixing" their game, which was in an infinitely better shape on release.

Last edited by ladydub; 20/06/23 04:41 PM.
veteran
Online Content
veteran
I never really had issues with the game. I actually backed the kickstarter and it's one of my favorite games of all time. But with regard to outrage, I would say that CDPR got more flack because they're bigger, and their game was a major event. Whereas comparing Wrath in terms of reach, hype or noteriety isa downright laughable endeavour in my opinion. CP2077 simply had higher expectations and thus had farther to fall.

veteran
veteran
I played CP2077 on release, and did not have any major issues.
I was mostly talking about the game itself rather than it's technical state. It felt to me like they never finished designing it. Combat, stealth system, itemisation, story were pretty undercooked. If CDPR can make the gameplay feel less pre-alpha, that would be a big leap forward.

That said, CP2077 does have a very strong eurojank vibe. It is definitely not polished. Which is a shame, as it can look very atmospheric and stunning, as long as you don't interact with anything.

I can't speak for WotR - I haven't played it yet. Still, if it is anything like Kingmaker than I am sure it is full of ambition that I can respect (even if I won't enjoy it). Probably my biggest dissappointment with Cyberpunk was how uninteresting it was - even as back as janky Witcher1 CDPR has been doing some interesting stuff.

Last edited by Wormerine; 20/06/23 08:04 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
I never really had issues with the game. I actually backed the kickstarter and it's one of my favorite games of all time. But with regard to outrage, I would say that CDPR got more flack because they're bigger, and their game was a major event. Whereas comparing Wrath in terms of reach, hype or noteriety isa downright laughable endeavour in my opinion. CP2077 simply had higher expectations and thus had farther to fall.

So it’s people’s fault for having unreasonable expectations. Yea CDP is bigger and pumped millions into marketing, but the game itself cost as much as a buggy alpha version WotR.

I played both on release and paid full price for both and CP2077 IS and was bigger, better etc. it is indeed laughable to sell WotR for the same price as CP2077. It’s like buying a fiesta for the price of brabus gwagon.

I’m talking about myself tho. Owlcat is a scammy studio that got their dirty hands on a great IP. And it’s unfair that CDP is in trouble while they’re busy milking another IP. I think it’s bad for all of us gamers, CDP being in trouble, that is.

Last edited by ladydub; 20/06/23 10:35 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
I never found it even remotely palatable. And to be clear I was never in a position where making the game "run well" was an issue for me.
I just don't like the way it plays, the way it controls, etc.

I know they are promising an extensive revamp with the upcoming expansion, but even that has me on the fence at best. On one hand it would be pretty stupid to attempt once again to "get into it" right now that it's on the verge of some significant update/change.
On the other hand, I can't see myself spending 30 bucks on the expansion when I always felt the 60 I threw away on the basic game were essentially wasted money.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Yeah, that's what I thought. I am going to pass. Even by the time this new expansion comes out - even if it is as good as everyone says - even if it fixes the majority of problems with the game - Bg3 and Starfield will be out and I don't think I will have time for a game that "had its chance" and blew it.

If the game, after being out for almost 3 years - and having access to as much player feedback as it has had - isn't where it needs to be right now then screw it. We just should not be rewarding this kind of nonsense.

Thanks all.

Blackheifer
veteran
veteran
Cyberpunk 2077 was always what it was an nothing more. If you're suddenly expecting it to be GTA, then yea, that's on you, that was never going to be the game. "choices matter"? Well, there's a number of completely different endings, and a number of quests end completely differently based on YOUR choice, but sure, let's go with choices don't matter. There's a reason it has mostly/very positive reviews. I have little sympathy for people that let hype take over.

It's not a perfect game, and if you're expecting the Witcher 3 in sci fi, you'll be disappointed, but it's a solid game.

Last edited by Boblawblah; 20/06/23 11:59 PM.
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Okay folks, perhaps I’m being oversensitive but this thread is starting to feel a bit bad-tempered.

We’re all allowed to think whatever we like about games, and as long as we’re not being unnecessarily confrontational, to say what we like about them here. Just as others are entitled to disagree with our opinions. But let’s keep the discussion friendly and about the opinions rather than those who hold them.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by The Red Queen
Okay folks, perhaps I’m being oversensitive but this thread is starting to feel a bit bad-tempered.

@RQ I like talking with you and you usually do a nice job of turning negative threads in positive direction. And you're quick to compliment so why wouldn't I like you?

But I haven't agreed with you the last few times you've said that threads were getting too negative 🙂

I think it's always been virtue of these forums that it allows conversations a chance to get back on track before the mods said anything. A lighter touch perhaps?

W
veteran
veteran
W
@ladydub

If the game doesn’t gel with you that just might be how it is. FF16 is very much Game of Thrones meets Dragon Ball Z, so you probably need to vibe with at least one of those aesthetics for this to grab you.

I will say though:

1) FF games always do edgelord characters better than any other series. The narratives always revolve around the personal arcs and growth of the protagonists in a way that few other series achieve. Their edginess is always an obstacle they need to overcome. It’s not just for the sake of being cool.

Also, if you play to the end of the first half of the demo, Clive’s attitude is shown to be completely justified. He starts the flashback section as a respectful, thoughtful, well-mannered 15 year old who absolutely adores his younger brother despite being passed over for the throne. Then shit gets Ned Stark bad and you totally see why he is the way he is when he is 28.

2) The environmental design of the game becomes absolutely gorgeous from what they show in the trailers. That’s always been a strong suit of Square, even in the games I hate (FF15, FF13).

3) The combat is spammy only in the beginning of the tutorial because it’s giving you space to learn the controls. If you button mash in the second half you get wrecked hard. There is a reason the combat designer for Devil May Cry 5 called this game his masterpiece. It’s technically deep. I don’t even like DMC, Bayonetta style games, but I can’t stop playing this demo. It’s easy to pick up but there is so much to learn.

So that’s my 2 cents. As with anything, your subjectives tastes are your own, of course.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
Cyberpunk 2077 was always what it was an nothing more. If you're suddenly expecting it to be GTA, then yea, that's on you, that was never going to be the game. "choices matter"? Well, there's a number of completely different endings, and a number of quests end completely differently based on YOUR choice, but sure, let's go with choices don't matter. There's a reason it has mostly/very positive reviews. I have little sympathy for people that let hype take over.

It's not a perfect game, and if you're expecting the Witcher 3 in sci fi, you'll be disappointed, but it's a solid game.

When they originally marketed the game they classified it as an RPG - and then right before they released they re-classified it as an Action Adventure Game. Even now you can find where it is being advertised on some platforms as an RPG and others as an Action Adventure Game. It sounds like they were/are a little confused about what they were/are making.

Is it a decent game? Sure. I played a hundred hours or so. I just got fed up by the lack of player agency.

The Witcher 3 didn't have a huge amount of player choice either, but it had enough to make it so it felt your actions were having an effect on the world. Not a high bar to reach.

And you are right, we shouldn't allow hype to influence our decisions on games we buy. Witcher 3 was an amazing success and everyone expected great things from CDPR. We should have been paying attention to the fact that they were so reluctant to show us anything or provide a demo of the game as proof that the game was not in a good state and they knew it. That's on me.

Blackheifer
W
veteran
veteran
W
I remember when that CP trailer came out that showed Samurai dropping off the McGuffin and then getting betrayed and thinking “what am I watching?” It clearly wasn’t gameplay, but it looked like it was sorta trying to mimic gameplay. But there is no way a game could offer the narrative freedom that CDPR was promising and look like that. So was it supposed to be giving an idea of what playing the game would be like or not? If so, why not just show gameplay?

I made a (rare from me) post on Reddit asking this and got downvoted into oblivion. Turns out my reticence was on the money, but CDPR had been working their marketing campaign so hard that many were treating the game as the Second Coming and got positively vitriolic whenever anybody even suggested otherwise.

Moral of the story: if it looks too good to be true…

veteran
veteran

We’re all allowed to think whatever we like about games, and as long as we’re not being unnecessarily confrontational, to say what we like about them here. Just as others are entitled to disagree with our opinions. But let’s keep the discussion friendly and about the opinions rather than those who hold them.

apologies, I wasn't intending on being negative, my tone could have been different I suppose.

veteran
veteran
A friend told me, that Pathfinder WotR is on sale.on Steam, so I might give it a try.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Boblawblah

apologies, I wasn't intending on being negative, my tone could have been different I suppose.

No need to apologise or indeed take my comment as pointed directly at you. There were a few posts in the thread that made it sound like some folk were getting a bit fed up, and I just to remind everyone to do their best to keep things positive rather than risk them deteriorating further while I wasn’t around overnight! I’ll be honest, I sometimes try to give a bit of a nudge if I’m not going to be around for a few hours when I’d probably otherwise keep a watching brief.

And @KillerRabbit and everyone else, I always welcome feedback on my moderation. If I don’t know how it’s landing then I can’t get better. But while I know I kind of asked for it in this instance by admitting I wasn’t sure if I were being oversensitive, I’d prefer folk to PM me rather than post publicly about my approach, at least to begin with. It can set a bit of a dangerous precedent on forums if folk are openly debating whether or not they agree with moderator calls, so for me that’s a last resort if you’re not getting any joy when picking up with them individually.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
Page 16 of 23 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 22 23

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard