Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 18 of 23 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 22 23
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Wormerine
So what is it that Cyberpunk does well? Bladerunner themed photo booth?
Not itemization. I can tell you that much.

Last edited by Tuco; 21/06/23 08:40 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by JandK
Originally Posted by The Red Queen
a total pseud

Is that a British thing? I don't think I've ever heard that before.

Sorry, I didn't realise I was being overly local! But yes Boblawblah is quite right. I think the Dictionary,com definition is pretty spot on, which gives the meaning of pseud as "a person of fatuously earnest intellectual, artistic, or social pretensions".

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
veteran
veteran
pseudointellectual I bet. I wouldn't know anything about that though.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Wormerine
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
Cyberpunk 2077 was always what it was an nothing more. If you're suddenly expecting it to be GTA, then yea, that's on you, that was never going to be the game. "choices matter"? Well, there's a number of completely different endings, and a number of quests end completely differently based on YOUR choice, but sure, let's go with choices don't matter. There's a reason it has mostly/very positive reviews. I have little sympathy for people that let hype take over.
So what is it that Cyberpunk does well? Bladerunner themed photo booth?

Cyberpunk's design shouldn't be given short shrift. The writing has it's moments too, I don't know if it has right game telling it.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Sozz
pseudointellectual I bet. I wouldn't know anything about that though.

grin

I assume that is exactly where it comes from, though for me pseud has a greater connotation of someone who makes themselves a figure of fun as a result of their intellectual pretensions. Though I don't know if that was originally part of the meaning, or whether it's due to association with "Pseud's Corner", a famous here regular spot in British satirical magazine Private Eye, which lampoons examples of laughable pretension in the media. For all I know, Private Eye actually coined or at least popularised the contraction. And now I've well and truly gone off topic.

Stopping that now and letting folk get on with discussing Cyberpunk!

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
P
stranger
stranger
P
I've really been enjoying Diablo 4. I didn't care for D3 very much, but my friends got me to try out D4 during the open beta and it really sunk its teeth in. My time in Sanctuary will be diminishing with FFXVI coming out.

And other than that I've also been enjoying the occasion Guild Wars 2.

H
stranger
stranger
H
Registered on forum just to tell - Cyberpunk is okay. Not great, not terrible. Preorder and play from day 0. (Read forum like a week or so with all the hype about BG3 in mind.)

Also I played some games, in general coop-oriented or online. Deep Rock Galactic, Sea of Thieves, V Rising, Warhammer Vermintide 2, Gunfire Reborn... And some others. Looking for BG3 with friends for months to come.

About games being RPG - do RPG need plot? Kenshi is RPG without plot, have only little stories. Do RPG need level-ups and so level-based stuff like stats? Outward is RPG without levels and do it with equipment. Do RPG needs to be a hand-crafted (or more like random-based)? Some roguelikes is RPG like a Cataclysm DDA or adventure mode Dwarf Fortress and they have procedural-generated like a 40-60% of content.

Point is already be told in this thread - RPG is very wide spectrum. Cyberpunk, Witcher(s), Skyrim\Oblivion\Morrowind is truly have a right to call themselves RPGs.
And traditionally - if you find my wording poor, it's because English if hard. smile

P.S. - I recommend Wildermyth. Many text, tactical combats, nice overall feelings and have a coop.

Last edited by His Dudeness; 21/06/23 10:07 PM.
veteran
veteran
Cyberpunk was the victim of its own media blitz. My own expectations were put in serious check when I saw what the combat was like. I was then mildly disappointed by the story, and more disappointed by the underutilization of the setting and genre.

I've been spending a lot of time playing Street Fighter VI of all things, and because I'm broken inside, I keep think about how fighting game mechanics could be used to revamp the combat in D&D, especially for martials.

Last edited by Sozz; 21/06/23 10:37 PM.
veteran
veteran
Cyberpunk was the victim of its own media blitz. My own expectations were put in serious check when I saw what the combat was like. I was then mildly disappointed by the story, and more disappointed by the underutilization of the setting and genre.

I've been spending a lot of time playing Street Fighter VI of all things, and because I'm broken inside, I keep think about how fighting game mechanics could be used to revamp the combat in D&D, especially for martials.

Ohh, I want to pick up SFVI! I'm just budgeting a bit because I also want FFXVI, EDF6, BG3 (for PS5), Armored Core, good lord, this year is stacked eh?

Last edited by Boblawblah; 21/06/23 10:50 PM.
W
veteran
veteran
W

Ohh, I want to pick up SFVI! I'm just budgeting a bit because I also want FFXVI, EDF6, BG3 (for PS5), Armored Core, good lord, this year is stacked eh?

I’m so excited about Armored Core that I built an AC in Legend of Zelda TotK and have just been racing around blowing shit up. It’s a strange and wonderful year in gaming.

[video:youtube]
[/video]

I think the last year where I was this excited for this many games was 2001. Throne of Bhaal, FFX, MGS2, Soul Reaver 2, GTA3, Onimusha. Good times.

Last edited by Warlocke; 21/06/23 11:38 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Warlocke
It's not an RPG: What is an RPG? stats? character choices? branching ways to complete quests? upgrading levels? character customization and building?
I think that for many people it boils down to “the RPGs I like are RPGs and the RPGs I don’t like aren’t.” 😂
But I like Witchers very, very much.

I don’t think none of those things define an RPG - in the same way as having a first person view, gun or having to center the screen on an enemy make the game a first person shooter.

Is creating and defining a character and deciding how will our character will act the core of the experience? Than it’s roleplaying game. Because you roleplay.

Last edited by Wormerine; 22/06/23 12:23 AM.
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by His Dudeness
Registered on forum just to tell - Cyberpunk is okay. Not great, not terrible. Preorder and play from day 0. (Read forum like a week or so with all the hype about BG3 in mind.)

P.S. - I recommend Wildermyth. Many text, tactical combats, nice overall feelings and have a coop.

Wildermyth is a pretty crazy game, and one I have been meaning to return to. I think I will re-install and see how it is now.

Blackheifer
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
Originally Posted by His Dudeness

Wildermyth is a pretty crazy game, and one I have been meaning to return to. I think I will re-install and see how it is now.

Welcome, to the forum, Your Dudeness, and thank you both for the reminder and recommendation. Wildermyth is another game that I’d picked up on the strength of a review but haven’t got round to yet, at least partly due to all the hours spent on BG3.

I feel like I shouldn’t be allowed to buy any new games until I’ve played the ones I have! Perhaps Wildermyth should be next on my list after my current BG1/2 playthrough.

stranger
stranger
I've been playing Guild Wars 2. I can't wait for BG to be released.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by fylimar
A friend told me, that Pathfinder WotR is on sale.on Steam, so I might give it a try.

Oh yes, I see it’s cheap again, as is Kingmaker. I find it hard to believe any cRPG fan wouldn’t get their money’s worth at those prices, even if they’re not completely sold on or don’t finish the games. If you do take the plunge, let us know what you think!
I missed the sale though. I was busy with getting my crafting up in GW2 , because I want to work on my ascended armor and was talking to a friend in TS and totally missed the sale.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by fallenj
I started playing Star War The Old Republic again. I'm mainly playing my Twilek smuggler through the storyline and my Zabrak Jedi knight. My Main character, Twilek shadow, is still doing the new content, but the Mandalorian storyline is sooo boring, so I often find myself doing other stuff.

I'm still playing Guild Wars 2 too, doing a lot of stuff for ascended armor and the Skyscale.

Ooh I actually never got passed vanilla base game. Finished the stories for smuggler, imperial agent, & inquisiter. Do you think the expansions after vanilla are worth playing?
They are different, but mostly ok. Not nearly as good as the class stories. I can recommend the jedi knight story, that one is really good.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
A friend told me, that Pathfinder WotR is on sale.on Steam, so I might give it a try.
Oh yes, I see it’s cheap again, as is Kingmaker. I find it hard to believe any cRPG fan wouldn’t get their money’s worth at those prices, even if they’re not completely sold on or don’t finish the games. If you do take the plunge, let us know what you think!
I missed the sale though. I was busy with getting my crafting up in GW2 , because I want to work on my ascended armor and was talking to a friend in TS and totally missed the sale.

D'oh! Though I bought it mid-May for the same sale price, and I think someone else confirmed it was fairly frequently discounted at Steam, so hopefully you won't have too long to wait for it to come down in price again. Fingers crossed!

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by fallenj
I started playing Star War The Old Republic again. I'm mainly playing my Twilek smuggler through the storyline and my Zabrak Jedi knight. My Main character, Twilek shadow, is still doing the new content, but the Mandalorian storyline is sooo boring, so I often find myself doing other stuff.

I'm still playing Guild Wars 2 too, doing a lot of stuff for ascended armor and the Skyscale.

Ooh I actually never got passed vanilla base game. Finished the stories for smuggler, imperial agent, & inquisiter. Do you think the expansions after vanilla are worth playing?
They are different, but mostly ok. Not nearly as good as the class stories. I can recommend the jedi knight story, that one is really good.
With swtor swapping to broadsword from bioware, I'm putting the game on the shelf till I see what happens. Resubbed for ff14 & dropping d4. Thanks for the recommendation, if the transfer goes aok I'll try out the jedi class.

Last edited by fallenj; 25/06/23 12:18 AM.
veteran
veteran
I thought the Eternal Empire expanison was pretty great actually but it was clearly designed for force users, and the Jedi Knight in particular. That's been a problem with all of the post launch content really, they don't have the resources to really tailor anything for your class so they just made a story that really makes sense for a few of them, but twists itself to let everyone participate.
I only check in with SW:TOR infrequently but I hope the transistion to another studio might shake things up, the last content update was really lackluster.

veteran
Online Content
veteran
I was listening to a podcast that covers dragon age stuff and touches on broad Bioware news as well and they pointed out that SWTOR has always been the redheaded stepchild of the company. Barely any marketing, a portion of its profits going to subsidising Dragon Age and Mass Effect, that sort of thing. So there is a non-zero chance that It being moved to a studio that's excited to have it and to work on it could prove a net benefit in the end. So while things aren't overtly positive, there is a good outcome to this development that could be reached.

Page 18 of 23 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 22 23

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard