Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 17 of 23 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 22 23
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by The Red Queen
Originally Posted by fallenj
Ya, it was a toss up between Bard or shaman. Didn't know there was a comic, ill have to do some googling later, thanks. I've only gotten a couple hours into the game previously, so I don't really know half those names. But seems well prepped more so than I, have fun.

Ooh, your first full playthrough? It’s totally up to you of course, but I don’t know that I’d choose either bard or shaman for that, as both classes have signature abilities that basically involve them standing around doing nothing if they’re going to use them. I think both can be fun despite that, though I’ve never tried shaman on a BG MC given it’s a more recent addition, but for a first run I suspect something that’s suited to being more active might be more engaging as a protagonist.

And yes, there’s a series of six comics written by Jim Zub and starring Minsc along with his new adventuring party that includes Krydle, the son of Coran who is a potential Fighter/Thief companion in BG1. I think they’re all good fun, admittedly in a fairly quick and disposable way, but from a BG3 perspective I’d definitely recommend the first, Legends of Baldur’s Gate, which shows how Minsc came to be around a hundred years after the Bhaalspawn crisis, the fifth, Infernal Tides, which I believe is a take on the Descent to Avernus campaign which is an immediate precursor to BG3 and is clearly still having repercussions, and the sixth, Mindbreaker, in we discover a strange new cult implanting mindflayer tadpoles into key characters in Baldur’s Gate grin. I don’t know how canon they’ll be considered for BG3, given WotC seem pretty happy for even official material to exist in slightly different possible versions of the Realms, but the fact that Minsc is in BG3 and Mindbreaker ties so closely into the BG3 story suggest the game will at the very least be taking elements of them.

EDIT: BTW, regarding some of those other names I mentioned, and one thing to be aware of in BG1 if you’ve not played far through it before, is that a few of the companions come in pairs that need to be recruited or dismissed together, unless you find a creative way to get rid of one of them. You may have come across Xzar and Montaron, who are one such pair and likely the first companions you’ll meet other than Imoen. Jaheira and Khalid are another, and while Minsc is first encountered alone I think he’ll abandon you if you don’t help him rescue his witch Dynaheir in a reasonable timeframe. I think Skie and Eldoth are the only othe
r pair, but though chances are you’ll meet Eldoth long before Skie and I don’t recall him being in a massive rush, I personally don’t know why anyone would want him without her and in fact I find their dynamic so perfectly dreadful (and I mean that as a compliment) that I’d not want her without him either.

Thanks for the heads up on the comic and companions, ill take the main character opinion into consideration. Have fun on your paladin run.

Last edited by fallenj; 21/06/23 07:20 AM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by fylimar
I started playing Star War The Old Republic again. I'm mainly playing my Twilek smuggler through the storyline and my Zabrak Jedi knight. My Main character, Twilek shadow, is still doing the new content, but the Mandalorian storyline is sooo boring, so I often find myself doing other stuff.

I'm still playing Guild Wars 2 too, doing a lot of stuff for ascended armor and the Skyscale.

Ooh I actually never got passed vanilla base game. Finished the stories for smuggler, imperial agent, & inquisiter. Do you think the expansions after vanilla are worth playing?

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
A friend told me, that Pathfinder WotR is on sale.on Steam, so I might give it a try.

Oh yes, I see it’s cheap again, as is Kingmaker. I find it hard to believe any cRPG fan wouldn’t get their money’s worth at those prices, even if they’re not completely sold on or don’t finish the games. If you do take the plunge, let us know what you think!

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
Cyberpunk 2077 was always what it was an nothing more. If you're suddenly expecting it to be GTA, then yea, that's on you, that was never going to be the game. "choices matter"? Well, there's a number of completely different endings, and a number of quests end completely differently based on YOUR choice, but sure, let's go with choices don't matter. There's a reason it has mostly/very positive reviews. I have little sympathy for people that let hype take over.
So what is it that Cyberpunk does well? Bladerunner themed photo booth?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Warlocke
@ladydub

So that’s my 2 cents. As with anything, your subjectives tastes are your own, of course.

Hmm this sold me the game more than any of the trailers and / or previews I’ve seen🤣

Will give the demo another go, maybe indeed i stopped just when the things get interesting.

A friend told me, that Pathfinder WotR is on sale.on Steam, so I might give it a try.

Totally worth it, they fixed everything by now, except the crusade mode, it’s still trash. Game is a munchkin wet dream otherwise))

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Wormerine
Cyberpunk 2077 was always what it was an nothing more. If you're suddenly expecting it to be GTA, then yea, that's on you, that was never going to be the game. "choices matter"? Well, there's a number of completely different endings, and a number of quests end completely differently based on YOUR choice, but sure, let's go with choices don't matter. There's a reason it has mostly/very positive reviews. I have little sympathy for people that let hype take over.

With that attitude? Nothing for you unfortunately. There is a group of people that no matter what Cyberpunk 2077 added, it would never be enough, and that's okay, not every game is for everyone. I personally had a great time with most of Cyberpunk 2077, there were choices, character building, a fun world to explore, fun gameplay, etc. Was it perfect? Gods no, but that didn't stop me from enjoying most of my time with it.

as an aside, I should stop mentioning this game, it almost always turns a bit too negative.

veteran
veteran
I hope you do. Contrary to some others here I've been playing the game almost since its release with hardly any issues or problems and certainly no game-breaking ones. Most issues are very minor, things like an item's description having a small mistake in it, and given the incredible scope of the game (classes, mechanics, items, spells, NPCs, etc.), it's actually quite amazing that the bugs are minimal and largely superficial (and even those they constantly keep fixing them).

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Just spotted an email from GoG saying BG1 EE, BG2 EE & Siege of Dragonspear are 75% off with them at the moment, in the event anyone's in the market before BG3 releases!

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
veteran
veteran

With that attitude? Nothing for you unfortunately. There is a group of people that no matter what Cyberpunk 2077 added, it would never be enough, and that's okay, not every game is for everyone. I personally had a great time with most of Cyberpunk 2077, there were choices, character building, a fun world to explore, fun gameplay, etc. Was it perfect? Gods no, but that didn't stop me from enjoying most of my time with it.

as an aside, I should stop mentioning this game, it almost always turns a bit too negative.
I apologise. It was more combatitive that I should have been, though I am somewhat perplexed by your criticism of the player base. It seems you agree that Cp doesn't have narrative chops and immersivness/attention to detail of a Rockstar game, and its RPG systems and reactivity are very surface levels. But it is a game that is absolutely trying to be Cyberpunk GTA/Deus Ex. To me its like saying you can't criticise Redfall for not being a good coop-shooter... while it is precisely what the game tries to be. It is a fairly fresh setting for a game though, but in its unfinished state it left me more frustrated than anything - some promising tidbits the game never followed up on.

I had no hype for Cyberpunk - I got burned before and Cp raised a lot of red flags. I didn't touch it until [looks at gog) 8 months ago. You are right, there is still sizable audience that enjoys the game quite a bit - that is probably I was expeciting something less forgettable. It is not the first time CDPR released an unfinished game - especially Witcher1&2 needed a year to mature. But I really believe Cyberpunk wouldn't get the time of day if not for Witcher3 success.

But hey, if you found things to enjoy in it, I have no intention to argue. More power to you. But the game is very, VERY flawed even in its best bits (and don't get me wrong, the game has good bits). I don't think hype and expectations are entirely to blame. Even now, I don't think even now the game is in a state worthy of 1.0 release - I can't imagine how bad it must have been on the release.

But yeah circling to the original point - at the moment want to hear more about the patch. I don't expect new systems, but those that are in the game are in a dire need of a rework.

veteran
veteran
Just spotted an email from GoG saying BG1 EE, BG2 EE & Siege of Dragonspear are 75% off with them at the moment, in the event anyone's in the market before BG3 releases!
I have them all. I resumed my BG1 playthrough on my iPad that I started last summer, I think. I want to get to Baldur's Gate and refresh the city after that last trailer. Its been a while.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
I have them all. I resumed my BG1 playthrough on my iPad that I started last summer, I think. I want to get to Baldur's Gate and refresh the city after that last trailer. Its been a while.

I just got to the city in my new BG1 playthrough and am definitely paying more attention to what's around and trying to compare what I see to the new trailers grin.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Warlocke
I remember when that CP trailer came out that showed Samurai dropping off the McGuffin and then getting betrayed and thinking “what am I watching?” It clearly wasn’t gameplay, but it looked like it was sorta trying to mimic gameplay. But there is no way a game could offer the narrative freedom that CDPR was promising and look like that. So was it supposed to be giving an idea of what playing the game would be like or not? If so, why not just show gameplay?

I made a (rare from me) post on Reddit asking this and got downvoted into oblivion. Turns out my reticence was on the money, but CDPR had been working their marketing campaign so hard that many were treating the game as the Second Coming and got positively vitriolic whenever anybody even suggested otherwise.

Moral of the story: if it looks too good to be true…

OMG, tell me about it. Some of the fan subreddits are so crazy toxic to any perceived criticism even if delivered thoughtfully and respectfully. They can't seem to understand that you can be a fan of something and still engage in critical analysis of the work where you can point out strengths and weaknesses. Even if you couch it in the language of critical analysis which would say "What is this work trying to achieve, and did it succeed or fail to do that?"

The Rick and Morty subreddit is the worst, but a lot of the game-specific subreddits also fall into that category and I recall leaving the Cyberpunk one because I saw the same behavior. That game got an insane level of "benefit of the doubt"

Having said that I am checking Cyberpunk 2077 out again. I want to see what has changed in the last 2 years.

Blackheifer
veteran
veteran

I apologise. It was more combatitive that I should have been, though I am somewhat perplexed by your criticism of the player base. It seems you agree that Cp doesn't have narrative chops and immersivness/attention to detail of a Rockstar game, and its RPG systems and reactivity are very surface levels. But it is a game that is absolutely trying to be Cyberpunk GTA/Deus Ex. To me its like saying you can't criticise Redfall for not being a good coop-shooter... while it is precisely what the game tries to be. It is a fairly fresh setting for a game though, but in its unfinished state it left me more frustrated than anything - some promising tidbits the game never followed up on.

I had no hype for Cyberpunk - I got burned before and Cp raised a lot of red flags. I didn't touch it until [looks at gog) 8 months ago. You are right, there is still sizable audience that enjoys the game quite a bit - that is probably I was expeciting something less forgettable. It is not the first time CDPR released an unfinished game - especially Witcher1&2 needed a year to mature. But I really believe Cyberpunk wouldn't get the time of day if not for Witcher3 success.

But hey, if you found things to enjoy in it, I have no intention to argue. More power to you. But the game is very, VERY flawed even in its best bits (and don't get me wrong, the game has good bits). I don't think hype and expectations are entirely to blame. Even now, I don't think even now the game is in a state worthy of 1.0 release - I can't imagine how bad it must have been on the release.

But yeah circling to the original point - at the moment want to hear more about the patch. I don't expect new systems, but those that are in the game are in a dire need of a rework.

Na, we're good buddy, no offence taken.

I think for me, I like to ask people 'if you ignore all the marketing of Cyberpunk completely, ignore everything that you expected it to be from the marketing, how does it stand on it's own?' When most people talk about the flaws of Cyberpunk, they talk about the expectations, bad performance on old consoles, how it's 'not an rpg', and how the hype was over the top and fans were toxic. All of that is tru-ish (although I think it's just as much of an RPG if not more than the Witcher 3), but it doesn't speak to the game itself really.

People say 'there are no choices': That's flat out wrong, there are game altering choices.

It's not an RPG: What is an RPG? stats? character choices? branching ways to complete quests? upgrading levels? character customization and building? Cyberpunk has all of that.

People say it's unfinished and that it can't be considered 1.0 let alone good. performance issues on last gen consoles aside (which were atrocious and should have never happened), the game itself on modern consoles and PC runs fine, and I never had insane performance issues on my older PC.

Now that doesn't mean it's a incredible game. The intro choices, which gave the illusion, especially in the marketing that would alter your experience drastically, are essentially meaningless. The celebrity power of Keanu actually hurts the narrative sometimes. The world can feel a bit lifeless in places. idk, I think people that have already decided that it's awful will never change their mind, and that's okay. But there is an opposite to the toxic fanbase that is equally toxic, that is LOOKING for a reason to hate it now.

S
old hand
old hand
S
I am at least grateful for Cyberpunk as it sent a message to the whole industry : do not over-promise. After the whole marketing campaign, being just a "good game" wasn't nearly enough.

veteran
veteran
Na, we're good buddy, no offence taken.
I think for me, I like to ask people 'if you ignore all the marketing of Cyberpunk completely, ignore everything that you expected it to be from the marketing, how does it stand on it's own?' When most people talk about the flaws of Cyberpunk, they talk about the expectations, bad performance on old consoles, how it's 'not an rpg', and how the hype was over the top and fans were toxic. All of that is tru-ish (although I think it's just as much of an RPG if not more than the Witcher 3), but it doesn't speak to the game itself really.
I personally consider Witcher3 more of a narrative open world action game, but let's not argue about the definition. I also think that even if Witcher3 seemingly shares similar issues to Cyberpunk, that it is not a problem in one doesn't mean it is not a problem in the other.

W
veteran
veteran
W
It's not an RPG: What is an RPG? stats? character choices? branching ways to complete quests? upgrading levels? character customization and building? Cyberpunk has all of that.

I think that for many people it boils down to “the RPGs I like are RPGs and the RPGs I don’t like aren’t.” 😂

RPGs are the Metal of video games. The music metal, not substance metal. There are a gazzilion different subgenres with very little in common aside from their common point of origin.

S
old hand
old hand
S
RPGs exist on a scale, where on the left you have Skyrim, and on the right you have... I dunno, Pathfinder and Final Fantasy maybe? All those criterias are valid but don't individually make a game a RPG.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Aargh, I tried to stop myself posting this as it probably makes me sound a total pseud, but I couldn't resist and now have to face up to the possibility I am in fact a total pseud.

*Strokes non-existent beard and nods wisely* I am reminded of Wittgenstein's discussion of the impossibility of necessary and sufficient criteria for something to be an RPGs (okay, game) in his Philosophical Investigations:

"And one has to say this in many cases where the question arises “Is this an appropriate description or not?” The answer is: “Yes, it is appropriate, but only for this narrowly circumscribed region, not for the whole of what you were claiming to describe.” It is as if someone were to say: “A game consists in moving objects about on a surface according to certain rules . . .” — and we replied: You seem to be thinking of board games, but there are others. You can make your definition correct by expressly restricting it to those games.

veteran
veteran
a total pseud

Is that a British thing? I don't think I've ever heard that before.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by JandK
a total pseud

Is that a British thing? I don't think I've ever heard that before.
British slang for pretentious apparently laugh

arrogant, cocky, know it all, etc

Aargh, I tried to stop myself posting this as it probably makes me sound a total pseud, but I couldn't resist and now have to face up to the possibility I am in fact a total pseud.

*Strokes non-existent beard and nods wisely* I am reminded of Wittgenstein's discussion of the impossibility of necessary and sufficient criteria for something to be an RPGs (okay, game) in his Philosophical Investigations:

"And one has to say this in many cases where the question arises “Is this an appropriate description or not?” The answer is: “Yes, it is appropriate, but only for this narrowly circumscribed region, not for the whole of what you were claiming to describe.” It is as if someone were to say: “A game consists in moving objects about on a surface according to certain rules . . .” — and we replied: You seem to be thinking of board games, but there are others. You can make your definition correct by expressly restricting it to those games.

But yes lol, the quote fits perfectly.

Last edited by Boblawblah; 21/06/23 08:34 PM.
Page 17 of 23 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 22 23

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard