Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 19 of 23 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Sozz
I thought the Eternal Empire expanison was pretty great actually but it was clearly designed for force users, and the Jedi Knight in particular. That's been a problem with all of the post launch content really, they don't have the resources to really tailor anything for your class so they just made a story that really makes sense for a few of them, but twists itself to let everyone participate.
I only check in with SW:TOR infrequently but I hope the transistion to another studio might shake things up, the last content update was really lackluster.
Exactly that. My smuggler felt totally out of place in the expansions. And the new stuff with the Mandalorians is downright boring. I see the switch to Broadsword as something positive since clearly BioWare has no idea what to do anymore.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
old hand
old hand
I thought the Eternal Empire expanison was pretty great actually but it was clearly designed for force users, and the Jedi Knight in particular. That's been a problem with all of the post launch content really, they don't have the resources to really tailor anything for your class so they just made a story that really makes sense for a few of them, but twists itself to let everyone participate.
I only check in with SW:TOR infrequently but I hope the transistion to another studio might shake things up, the last content update was really lackluster.

Ya, the vid i was watching mentioned rubber banding/lag in pvp which he said wasn't the norm. Was hoping just something stable.

veteran
veteran
Playing FF16 now! Just started, but it is lots of fun so far!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Icelyn
Let us know how you like it. Previews peaked my interest, but review sources that I trust have been rather mixed on the game.

veteran
veteran
Until it's out on PC that's not even a moral dilemma.
Aside for the fact that I'm currently on a PS4 Pro, knowing it's going to come on PC anyway I really don't want to play it with a subpar framerate/resolution.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Wormerine
Let us know how you like it. Previews peaked my interest, but review sources that I trust have been rather mixed on the game.

Not finished yet, but a couple of disjointed thoughts (negative sticks out more than positive obviously, so don't take these as a sign i hate the game, I don't.):

- if you don't like QTEs move on, entire sections of the the big boss fights feel like cutscenes that the devs said "ugh, fine, we'll let the player do something I guess, let's throw in a QTE here and there"
- that said, if you are able to immersive yourself in the moment, the QTEs can feel like a natural extension of what is going on. Hard to explain, but you'll know when you get there. If the illusion breaks however, it's bad.
- main story quests can be really good, but also straight up fetch quests from an mmo. You can see the FFXIV influence everywhere for sure.
- voice acting is good, maybe not FFXII good, but good.
- music is what you expect, very well done
- don't let the demo mislead you, it's 100% a Final Fantasy story/game, with all the good and bad that comes with that.
- Combat can be very simple, or quite complex actually depending on how you want to deal with it. I've grown to enjoy it for the most part.
- Bosses aside, enemies never feel as tanky as they looked in the previews.
- SPECTACLE, SPECTACLE EVERYWHERE.
- exploration is completely pointless, there is literally nothing to be found. Okay, 2 gold pieces, and some crafting materials that you won't need.
- It's less RPG than other Final Fantasy games, which is saying something lol
- fairly somber atmosphere, they tried to throw in a couple of silly moments, but they fall flat most of the time, the game is good when it's moving the story forward and not trying to be something it isn't.
- performance I haven't really noticed actually. The demo section seemed worse than the rest of the game.

overall, having a good time, but it's not remotely perfect, take the 10/10 scores with a grain of salt for sure. The game is essentially combat and cutscenes. Nothing else matters.

W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by Boblawblah

Not finished yet, but a couple of disjointed thoughts (negative sticks out more than positive obviously, so don't take these as a sign i hate the game, I don't.):

- if you don't like QTEs move on, entire sections of the the big boss fights feel like cutscenes that the devs said "ugh, fine, we'll let the player do something I guess, let's throw in a QTE here and there"
- that said, if you are able to immersive yourself in the moment, the QTEs can feel like a natural extension of what is going on. Hard to explain, but you'll know when you get there. If the illusion breaks however, it's bad.
- main story quests can be really good, but also straight up fetch quests from an mmo. You can see the FFXIV influence everywhere for sure.
- voice acting is good, maybe not FFXII good, but good.
- music is what you expect, very well done
- don't let the demo mislead you, it's 100% a Final Fantasy story/game, with all the good and bad that comes with that.
- Combat can be very simple, or quite complex actually depending on how you want to deal with it. I've grown to enjoy it for the most part.
- Bosses aside, enemies never feel as tanky as they looked in the previews.
- SPECTACLE, SPECTACLE EVERYWHERE.
- exploration is completely pointless, there is literally nothing to be found. Okay, 2 gold pieces, and some crafting materials that you won't need.
- It's less RPG than other Final Fantasy games, which is saying something lol
- fairly somber atmosphere, they tried to throw in a couple of silly moments, but they fall flat most of the time, the game is good when it's moving the story forward and not trying to be something it isn't.
- performance I haven't really noticed actually. The demo section seemed worse than the rest of the game.

overall, having a good time, but it's not remotely perfect, take the 10/10 scores with a grain of salt for sure. The game is essentially combat and cutscenes. Nothing else matters.

I largely agree with everything here.

I’m somebody who hates QTEs, but this is actually the first game I’ve ever played where I feel they are done well. I think that is in part because Final Fantasy has always (well, since FF7, at least) included attacks that were basically big over the top cut-scenes, and this feels very much an extension of that. There are also some design decisions in how they are executed that I feel work in their favor.

I am enjoying the combat a lot. I’m using no timely accessories (items that automate parts of the combat to assist players with less experience with action games) and I find learning combos and new elements of the system really satisfying. I’ve only earned the first three Eikonic power sets, so I know I still have plenty of skills to unlock. It’s really cool.

That said, I’m not going to lie, there is a part of me that very much misses controlling and kitting out an entire party of characters. But I have FF7Rebirth and the all-but-confirmed FF9Remake to look forward to for that. FF games are always experimenting, so there is no reason to suspect FF17 won’t have a party, either.

I’m loving the story. I have a few critiques here and there sure, but on the whole I’m really drawn into the mystery of what is going on. I love the traditional FF approach of the slow reveal, where the stakes and the main antagonist are rolled out at a gently rolling, incremental pace. But again, despite that, I definitely prefer the more lighthearted tones of prior games. At least I think this game in many ways does bleakness better than Game of Thrones did. There is a lot of hope in FF16 where GoT was just ugly, viscous nihilism.

The world design is basically a cross between FFX and FFXII. The map design is not quite as linear as FFX, but it doesn’t really matter, because it’s very much designed to get you to your next destination. I’m okay with this. FF games are very much on rails experiences. You are just supposed to enjoy the game on Square’s terms, and they make up for the absence of freedom by making the game look gorgeous. I actually often find myself walking through the game rather than running, just so I can enjoy the sights.

And the spectacle of this game absolutely delivers. The introduction of Odin and Bahamut is some of the coolest fantasy nonsense I’ve ever seen. The first time you are given complete control over Ifrit and are bursting across the arena is jaw dropping.

I love this game. Not as much as some other games, but this is a good time. I’m here for what it is, and not what I want it to be.

veteran
veteran
My thoughts on FF16 so far (I am still near the start of the game):

The graphics and voice acting are great! I love story-based games, so I am happy with the strong focus on story! I like the broody main character. The combat is fun, especially the Eikonic abilities, although I don’t have many yet. So far I haven’t needed to use the timely accessories, but those could be great for people who don’t like action combat.

I am not much for exploring large, empty open worlds, so I am happy with the world design so far.

There haven’t been any dialogue options so far (other than accepting or rejecting quests), and I do miss those from other rpgs!

The QTEs don’t bother me because so far it has been just a single button, and they give you a while to press it. I haven’t missed any so far!

The people riding chocobos make me smile when I see them!😊

Overall, a fun game so far!

Last edited by Icelyn; 25/06/23 05:07 PM.
W
veteran
veteran
W
There is always something about people riding giant, yellow chickens into battle that always gets me. It’s absurd, the developers know it’s absurd, but they play it straight with such earnestness. That’s something I see much more often in Japanese games than Western ones, and I dig it.

veteran
veteran
[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]
FF XVI looks great

veteran
veteran
FF XVI looks great

woah, that's way more gameplay than FFXVI.

P
stranger
stranger
P
I'm also playing FFXVI at the moment. I haven't beaten it yet, but I will say that this is the first new single player addition to the mainline series that I've thoroughly enjoyed since FFX. (I have to specify that since I enjoyed both MMOs and I really liked FF7R.)

I very much vibe with the cast of characters in the game. The soundtrack is awesome. The combat can be very barebones and get you through it, or you can utilize the smaller nuances and mix things up which feels fun; as someone that recently played DMC5 for the first time I can definitely see the combat designer in both games and I do consider that a good thing. While I'm not the biggest fan of QTE's unless it's the whole point of the game, ala Until Dawn, the sheer cinematic quality of them in FFXVI very much pulls me in. Presentation is top notch. The side quests are kinda fetchy as with all JRPGs, but you reach a point where they all come together and I feel like they do a great job of assisting with worldbuilding at a certain point. I've even had my jaw drop a few times with them. Loads of little easter eggs which act like love letters to the whole series.

I'll echo the statements of others in that I miss gearing up and seeing the skills of my allies. They actually do put in work against enemies in the field and I feel their presence, but the fact I can't even see their stat pages and the names of their skills irks me.

In short: As someone that's been playing FF since the days of the NES, this one could very well enter my Top 5. That said it's still fresh and I haven't beaten it yet, so my opinion could plummet depending on how things go.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Cyberpunk 2077 was always what it was an nothing more. If you're suddenly expecting it to be GTA, then yea, that's on you, that was never going to be the game. "choices matter"? Well, there's a number of completely different endings, and a number of quests end completely differently based on YOUR choice, but sure, let's go with choices don't matter. There's a reason it has mostly/very positive reviews. I have little sympathy for people that let hype take over.
So what is it that Cyberpunk does well? Bladerunner themed photo booth?

With that attitude? Nothing for you unfortunately. There is a group of people that no matter what Cyberpunk 2077 added, it would never be enough, and that's okay, not every game is for everyone. I personally had a great time with most of Cyberpunk 2077, there were choices, character building, a fun world to explore, fun gameplay, etc. Was it perfect? Gods no, but that didn't stop me from enjoying most of my time with it.

as an aside, I should stop mentioning this game, it almost always turns a bit too negative.

I have spent the last week with Cyberpunk and I have been having a lot of fun. The game is in much better shape, the story choices so far are pretty linear but that is fine. The combat is also much better balanced and more challenging. I wish they had taken the time and just released it in this state.

The world is incredibly well built overall and will likely take a LONg time to fully explore. I really like how they have so much random stuff with fleshed out side quests and things you can find in odd areas, it does encourage exploration. My worry is that people have moved on and it won't get the attention it deserves given the scope and depth.

Blackheifer
W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
I have spent the last week with Cyberpunk and I have been having a lot of fun. The game is in much better shape, the story choices so far are pretty linear but that is fine. The combat is also much better balanced and more challenging. I wish they had taken the time and just released it in this state.

The world is incredibly well built overall and will likely take a LONg time to fully explore. I really like how they have so much random stuff with fleshed out side quests and things you can find in odd areas, it does encourage exploration. My worry is that people have moved on and it won't get the attention it deserves given the scope and depth.

Are there still dildos randomly placed everywhere? That is one of the most baffling design decisions I’ve seen in AAA game maybe ever.

Last edited by Warlocke; 26/06/23 05:41 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
Cyberpunk 2077 was always what it was an nothing more. If you're suddenly expecting it to be GTA, then yea, that's on you, that was never going to be the game. "choices matter"? Well, there's a number of completely different endings, and a number of quests end completely differently based on YOUR choice, but sure, let's go with choices don't matter. There's a reason it has mostly/very positive reviews. I have little sympathy for people that let hype take over.
So what is it that Cyberpunk does well? Bladerunner themed photo booth?

With that attitude? Nothing for you unfortunately. There is a group of people that no matter what Cyberpunk 2077 added, it would never be enough, and that's okay, not every game is for everyone. I personally had a great time with most of Cyberpunk 2077, there were choices, character building, a fun world to explore, fun gameplay, etc. Was it perfect? Gods no, but that didn't stop me from enjoying most of my time with it.

as an aside, I should stop mentioning this game, it almost always turns a bit too negative.

Yep, there's a lot more to the world than most people thought at first glance. I remember randomly finding a supercar hidden in a container out in the middle of nowhere lol. It requires quite high Street cred to claim it, but it's totally free. Lots of little things like that in the game. Also, I don't know what you mean Warlocke about dildos. There's one obvious quest with a dildo, but I don't remember noticing them everywhere you went.

W
veteran
veteran
W
When the game first launched I saw some videos of people just finding absurd numbers of dildos everywhere. Looks like CDPR patched that out.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/cyberpunk-2077-has-too-many-dildos-will-patch-some-of-them-out

veteran
veteran
FF XVI looks great
😂

T
stranger
stranger
T
yeah i need suggestion what to play while waiting for BG3. i played gacha games, arpg like dialbo 4, jrpgs like ff16 so uhh yeah.

W
apprentice
apprentice
W
Well, rediscovered an old game I enjoyed and will play that (Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen) for a while. Diablo 4, I've already moved on from what I feel was an underwhelming game.

W
veteran
veteran
W
Dragon’s Dogma, a game so nice I bought it thrice. (PS3, PC, Switch).

Anyway, I take back everything nice I said about FF16. Game starts off so strong and the story falls into utter shambles. I’m not going to ever even bother finishing this farce.

Back to Zelda.

Page 19 of 23 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard