Originally Posted by Leucrotta
Eh, the thing about orcs in Forgotten Realms, is that WoTC went through an almost regressive phase sometime around 3-4th edition. There *were* good 'civilized' orcs in the setting prior. Hell, there were agrarian pacifist orcs. Off in Thesk IIRC is one such place you can find less 'problematic' orcs. Like a lot of things that over the years have been retconned, abandoned and sidelined, that nuance has been lost.

Would love to see Larian reference some of that old lore and put in one of those orcs. Or at least distinguish mountain and grey orcs if/when we see them.

Indeed? As well as continuing to evolve lore, I'm also a fan of mining its history and referencing/resurrecting elements that might have been lost or sidelined but have potential to help tell interesting stories now, and that does sound like a fun opportunity. Even if it would go over the head of someone like me who is only an occasional visitor to the setting, drawing on its past to help shape its future like that would be a nice reward for those who know it better.

But apologies, everyone, I realise that this orc talk is a digression from the topic of the thread, so even though I think it's interesting I'll stop now!

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"