Correct me if I'm wrong, folks, but the changes we're discussing to the approach for mixed race characters are part of the proposals for the next gen One D&D so aren't relevant for BG3, which is based on 5e, anyway. I guess it's not impossible that Larian would implement some homebrew features that reflect the direction of travel of D&D (I'm not sure whether their changes to the ranger class, for example, might have been based on discussions about WotC's plans for it?), but given we have half-elves in EA there's already good evidence they're not going to try with the changes to the way mixed heritage is handled.

Not that, as Warlocke has said, there won''t be half-orcs even if One D&D does get released in line with the proposals, as those proposals will allow for more variations not fewer (arguably at the expense of clarity and distinctiveness, but that's an argument for a different thread, such as this one!).

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"