Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
addict
addict
Yes! Finally, Dragonborn is officially confirmed. Half-orc too. Soon I'll be able to play the characters I've been wanting to play for ages.

And Gloomstalker Ranger too? That'll be worth a playthrough for sure. I honestly was not expecting that one.

This is definitely the first I've ever heard of a game releasing sooner than expected. A bold move. Larian must be incredibly confident in the game's release state. I hope it works out well for them!

addict
addict
Wow - and I thought the amount of choice in early access was impressive - this game is going to be epic & replayability is just off the charts - have never had the level of anticipation I have for this in thirty something years of gaming.
Cant wait to see what else may surprise in the last panel from hell.
Just superb Larian - it’s been a great ride since day one early access - can’t wait to start my adventures !
Little concerned about how many hours I’ll be lost in faerun for but I can’t wait.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Niara
I'm kinda concerned that they said that adding Karlach to our existing companions 'rounds out the spectrum' of morality, from good to bad and grey in between... because right now we have origin companions that cover: CE, LE, NE (possibly un-brainwashable to NG), TN and CN; even if Karlach is CG that's not 'rounding out a spectrum'.

Actually, they wrote this:

Originally Posted by Salo
She will join Astarion, Gale, Shadowheart, Lae’zel, and Wyll like a well-meaning, devil-fighting bat out of hell, rounding out the moral spectrum of playable characters from good to bad, and the shades of grey between.

This is not super clear, but imo this statement leans more towards "we have good, neutral and bad playable characters in the game". Playable characters is the key word, players are given the diversity of moral values from good to evil for a potential origin playthrough. Watch HarbsNarbs' videos on companions, it is clear that every origin will have breaking points where you can shift your character's values by following different paths. There was also no proper setting in EA where the Law/Chaos system could be properly explored for each of the party members. I still feel you and wish for the full roster as well, but my feeling is that what Larian meant to say might be a little different from your interpretation.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by SaurianDruid
This is definitely the first I've ever heard of a game releasing sooner than expected. A bold move. Larian must be incredibly confident in the game's release state. I hope it works out well for them!
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/ba...g-precious-breathing-room-from-starfield

“Reaching a technical bar [on PS5] that matches our design ambitions felt like the right move,” said director of publishing Michael Douse. He went on to say that “holding back the PC version” of the game during a crowded release period was “the wrong move,” leading to a new release date.

So PC version will be ready for early August release, PS5 won't. Rather than keeping BG3 off PC to release together with PS5 they opted to release it early to avoid releasing too close to the heavy hitters. That way they will have good couple weeks before every one starts covering Armored Core6 and Starfield. Meantime Sony-Ponies won't have Starfield, so that's not a conflict.

veteran
veteran
Late to the party, since the forum wouldn't work for me.

Those are good news, I'm especially happy, that we won't get party locked after act 1- that was one of my bigger concerns.

I hope the mystery origin character will be Helia, because I like the concept and the small races are Not represented at all among the companions, we now have a lot of elves and humans and in-betweens, with the exception of Karlach and Lae'zel.

I Imagine that Icelyn is dancing because of the Halsin News 😁.

I' m happy, that feylock is included now and some other subclasses.

And yay for different body types.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by neprostoman

She will join Astarion, Gale, Shadowheart, Lae’zel, and Wyll like a well-meaning, devil-fighting bat out of hell, rounding out the moral spectrum of playable characters from good to bad, and the shades of grey between.

And as I said, having a CE, LE, NE, TN and a CN, and adding a CG to that is NOT rounding out a spectrum. At all. That is my contention here; it's an extremely lop-sided mass of grey and red, and adding in one blue card doesn't 'round out' the matter.

The fact that we will likely have the option to influence our companions by a step or even two is irrelevant to that, because the same will be true in the other direction, cancelling that entire line of reasoning out - the default positions are not what any sensible person would call a rounded out spectrum, even with the addition of one blue note.

veteran
veteran
I hope if it is Helia, then she's not a werewolf anymore. That would be my big drawback. Hopefully they haven't updated her because they backed off the werewolf thing and had to really update her. But where was the different body types confirmed? The one thing I saw, I thought it was just male and female body types.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
I hope if it is Helia, then she's not a werewolf anymore. That would be my big drawback. Hopefully they haven't updated her because they backed off the werewolf thing and had to really update her. But where was the different body types confirmed? The one thing I saw, I thought it was just male and female body types.
I don't care, If she is werewolf or not, I just want the halfling bard.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Niara

And as I said, having a CE, LE, NE, TN and a CN, and adding a CG to that is NOT rounding out a spectrum. At all. That is my contention here; it's an extremely lop-sided mass of grey and red, and adding in one blue card doesn't 'round out' the matter.

The fact that we will likely have the option to influence our companions by a step or even two is irrelevant to that, because the same will be true in the other direction, cancelling that entire line of reasoning out - the default positions are not what any sensible person would call a rounded out spectrum, even with the addition of one blue note.
Yup. They have truly screwed over the "good" side for players who want that.

And in my case it's even worse for me because I cannot abide including Jaheira and Minsc in my party, not only because they're boring retreads but also because by rights they should be level 20 characters and I won't be able to suspend my disbelief of them being level 1 characters.

addict
addict
Your lawful good paladin will swing the balance - the alignment mix is fine - we’ve had 3 odd years to get used to it adding more will just flavour itvmore

enthusiast
enthusiast
Truly impressive. I sat openmouthed in front of my screen after seeing what is to come. Neat. I'm so gonna take a week long holiday laugh

Only thing i am missing is the Githerai subrace for Githyanki. But thats just a very small tear smile

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Tarorn
Your lawful good paladin will swing the balance - the alignment mix is fine - we’ve had 3 odd years to get used to it adding more will just flavour itvmore
Just because it's fine for you doesn't make it fine for everyone.

veteran
veteran
Its fine for me as well. Games and other media are not made to be perfect for everyone. If you want 10 good companions, your best bet will be creating your own game. You might say that the developer promised you something, but their views on what's good and what's bad might be different from yours. May be they consider Gale and Wyll good characters.

Last edited by neprostoman; 01/07/23 02:14 PM. Reason: typo
veteran
veteran
May be they consider Gale and Wyll good characters.
Concidering that Swen himself in the past told us that we "dont have any Good alignment followers yet" ...
I find that quite unlikely.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Concidering that Swen himself in the past told us that we "dont have any Good alignment followers yet" ...

Oh, I've never seen or heard that. My bad, then, yet the main point remains. Games can't please everyone equally, so no that many reasons to be that upset about things. That user has been writing the same complaint for a long time now, over and over, and I bet he wouldn't stop, so I kinda feel myself dumb for tuning in in the first place.

addict
addict

I think (like many things already) their characters have been evolved from the time of those quotes. Shadowheart has had one of the biggest shifts it appears. I almost wish I could see each character with new eyes. I still have my day one biases. I suspect Gale is now a “Good” aligned character and Shadowheart is the Neutral one that will go either way…. As you know, both Gale and Wyll may leave you if you go a dark path so I dunno…

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by avahZ Darkwood
Shadowheart has had one of the biggest shifts it appears.
Does she tho?
She seems to have exactly same values (read as: dis/approval system) as ever, she is just not so anoying in conversation ... but that have nothing to do with alignment.

I suspect Gale is now a “Good” aligned character ...

As you know, both Gale and Wyll may leave you if you go a dark path so I dunno…
"may" is very important word there ...

If Gale would be indeed Good character, it shouldnt be possible (imho at least) to persuate him to stay with inocent civilians murdering psychopath. :-/

Some time ago i have read somewhere interesting mnemonic aid:
Good character will sacrifice things, in order to help people.
Evil character will sacrifice people, in order to get things.
Neutral character can do either, or try to do both, or neither.

So ... neutral at best imho.

veteran
veteran
I suspect Gale is now a “Good” aligned character ...

As you know, both Gale and Wyll may leave you if you go a dark path so I dunno…
"may" is very important word there ...

If Gale would be indeed Good character, it shouldnt be possible (imho at least) to persuate him to stay with inocent civilians murdering psychopath. :-/

Some time ago i have read somewhere interesting mnemonic aid:
Good character will sacrifice things, in order to help people.
Evil character will sacrifice people, in order to get things.
Neutral character can do either, or try to do both, or neither.

So ... neutral at best imho.

I think Gale isprobably neutral however I think it's still up for interpretation. You've said yourself that you want corruption arcs in this game, so maybe being persuaded to stay after the massacre is the start of Gale's and he actually is good. No one is always good all the time or always bad all the time, plus maybe the persuastion hits on a good angle. I've never seen the exchange so I don't know what you can say to persuade him.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
No one is always good all the time or always bad all the time
Yup ...
And that makes them Neutral. wink

C
addict
addict
C
Originally Posted by The Red Queen
it's time to dust off and start adding to and tweaking my spreadsheet of character concepts grin

Lol, thanks! I didn't have character idea spreadsheets before I read this! At least it's something to do until the 31st...

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard