Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
taumix Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
In comparison to other races human female faces are just ugly frown
Any chance there will be new / different human female faces for v 1.0?
I don't want to play half-elf / elf just because I can't stand to watch my character.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
There's a chance but I haven't spotted any obviously new models in recent trailers. Maybe, if there are, we'll get confirmation at the Panel From Hell.

Though as a matter of fact, and while I'm never going to object to more choice, I am pretty happy with the human female faces. It's the female halflings that really get the short end of the stick in my book, and the female half-elves. And I really want more middle-aged/older looking faces for most of the races (from memory, male halflings and male dwarves are the exceptions that do have some grizzled older faces, and some of the male elves at least look decently ageless).

Which just goes to show that finding the right faces for our characters is a deeply subjective business, so more options can only be a good thing. And not only for character creation, given it'll be more immersive for me we don't see the same few faces pop up again and again on NPCs in the world. Fingers crossed!

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
enthusiast
enthusiast
I don't recall female elf has 8 face presets in EA if I'm not wrong. so technically there will be new face and new hair options for each existing race. also, there are new appearance customization options now (aging, freckles, heterochromia, scars, piercing, body types ).[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
You were clearly paying better attention than me ALexws! As usual smile.

Really good to see maturity as what looks like a slider there, as that was one of my asks!

In EA there are 6 female elf heads (there were 5 plus one added in patch ... 9? 8?) so looks like we're getting a couple more, which is promising for other races too, though possibly not human female for whom we already had 9 options in EA. But being able to play around with age, freckles, scars, etc should help give more variety even if there aren't tons and tons of new faces. I want to be able to scroll down on that screenshot so badly grin.

EDIT: Actually, is the tiefling male face in that same Playstation Blog article a new one too? I'm not sure if it's just a tweaked version of one of the existing ones, but it does look like possible additional evidence of at least some new heads for different races on release.

Last edited by The Red Queen; 01/07/23 11:20 AM.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
veteran
veteran
I'm admittedly a bit wary of taking some of the hints from these pictures at face value because they may be partially misleanding.

Example: "Oh wow, four body types!" and then it turns out to be just normal and buff, but available on both male and female variant for both sexes.
Or a similar "Oh wow, now we have 8-10 faces", but it's just the menu merging what before were separate male and female options.

And so on.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by The Red Queen

Really good to see maturity as what looks like a slider there, as that was one of my asks!

In EA there are 6 female elf heads (there were 5 plus one added in patch ... 9? 8?) so looks like we're getting a couple more, which is promising for other races too, though possibly not human female for whom we already had 9 options in EA. But being able to play around with age, freckles, scars, etc should help give more variety even if there aren't tons and tons of new faces. I want to be able to scroll down on that screenshot so badly grin.

EDIT: Actually, is the tiefling male face in that same Playstation Blog article a new one too? I'm not sure if it's just a tweaked version of one of the existing ones, but it does look like possible additional evidence of at least some new heads for different races on release.
It might be copium on my part, but some of the existing models in EA are freckle/complexion reskins which now have a slider so we *might* get a couple more options to play around with...

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Tuco
I'm admittedly a bit wary of taking some of the hints from these pictures at face value because they may be partially misleanding.

Example: "Oh wow, four body types!" and then it turns out to be just normal and buff, but available on both male and female variant for both sexes.
Or a similar "Oh wow, now we have 8-10 faces", but it's just the menu merging what before were separate male and female options.

And so on.
From what we have seen available there are two "Body Type" choices - one in the "Origin" tab with Identity, with 2 options and another in the "Appearance" tab with 4 options. I'd say it's pretty likely the first one is a male/female choice and the second is variants on that.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Elessaria666
From what we have seen available there are two "Body Type" choices - one in the "Origin" tab with Identity, with 2 options and another in the "Appearance" tab with 4 options. I'd say it's pretty likely the first one is a male/female choice and the second is variants on that.
I've seen that as well, but without more corroborating evidence it may just be a redundant option appearing in two different spots.

Like the sex selection we already have in EA currently.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by ALexws
I don't recall female elf has 8 face presets in EA if I'm not wrong. so technically there will be new face and new hair options for each existing race. also, there are new appearance customization options now (aging, freckles, heterochromia, scars, piercing, body types ).[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
huh theres a maturity slider... i can make a granny gmilf wizard who always has the right herb and potion for troubles?

I cant wait!

B
old hand
old hand
B
Originally Posted by taumix
In comparison to other races human female faces are just ugly frown
I take it you've not run into any Git-yanki lately?

Though as a matter of fact, and while I'm never going to object to more choice, I am pretty happy with the human female faces. It's the female halflings that really get the short end of the stick in my book, and the female half-elves.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Halflings are IMO the most visually NOT BY DESIGN disagreeable race.
The half-elf girls are OK in my book.

Originally Posted by Mushroomo
theres a maturity slider... i can make a granny gmilf wizard who always has the right herb and potion for troubles?
Git orf me lawn! [RAGE]
Beats miscreant to death with wand.

enthusiast
enthusiast

it is the existing one. just extra features and hairstyle make him look different. At least 3 tiefling NPCs have the same face.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Buba68
Though as a matter of fact, and while I'm never going to object to more choice, I am pretty happy with the human female faces. It's the female halflings that really get the short end of the stick in my book, and the female half-elves.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Halflings are IMO the most visually NOT BY DESIGN disagreeable race.
The half-elf girls are OK in my book.

I probably should have made clear I wasn't actually really talking about beauty, just about whether I've managed to find faces that I want to use for my characters. Mostly I've found a character design I like for a representative of each subrace, but I struggle with the female halflings because many of their faces are just way too big and it doesn't look right to me, even for a non-human race. The male halflings don't have this problem (and their faces are fine, though probably not varied enough), so it just looks to me as though the EA design screwed up the proportions for female halflings.

It's slightly different with half-elven females as I guess part of my concept of that race is that they do tend to be "pretty" (which isn't the same as attractive in my view). Some of the male half-elves I think definitely fit that brief but the females not so much. And there are only five choices in EA to potentially find a face to suit three subraces, so there's not much room for error. So it's good it looks like we're getting more choice in the full release and I'm sure I'll find more faces to suit.

But I do totally agree it's subjective, so just giving my own personal experience here based on trying to create a bunch of characters that cover the available EA subraces/subclasses.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard