Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
enthusiast
enthusiast
After watching the Showcase, I can say that I'm hyped for the full game I bought three years ago. However, a couple of things:

1) I've been asking for this since the first or second patch on the EA: will you allow us to turn off the narrator, like you were thoughtful enough to do in DOS2? Unlike some, I have no problem with reading a line or two on the screen. The game is better for me that way, and the immersion deeper. The narrator's voice is distracting, as she is not a character in the game, and so her voice doesn't fit in anywhere. I see that you've cut her lines back--but then you've added many more lines for her to read, apparently. The point is that I can read the lines much more rapidly than she can enunciate them--so I end up waiting on her to finish reading aloud content I've already absorbed. Surely, I can't be the only one ...;)

2) I thought the showcase seemed to center on some really ugly characters...;) Hopefully, the game will support higher fantasy for those of us who play the game that way.

3) The Dragonborn did not impress me. My taste does not run to sentient lizards who speak ventriloquist-like while their "lips" never move...;) I'll pass. The scene where the horned woman has lunch with a sentient lizard was probably one of the most ridiculous things Ive ever seen in a computer game. I'll pass, but some may like it, I'm sure.

4) Dark Urges. Tearing off the hand was another utterly ridiculous element. Maybe if I was 10 years old I might find it funny...;) But it's been a long time since I saw 10.

5) Every once in a while, during the Showcase, I got the impression that I was watching "The SIMS go to Baldur's Gate"...;) Hopefully, the cartoon sex and the social chit-chat can be bypassed by those of us expecting a melodramatic adventure game. The original Baldur's Gate games were very heavy on melodrama and intrigue.

All of these complaints are minor things, provided the player can bypass them. Can't wait to start downloading on August third!

I'm never wrong about anything, and so if you see an error in any of my posts you will know immediately that I did not write it...;)
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Waltc
After watching the Showcase, I can say that I'm hyped for the full game I bought three years ago. However, a couple of things:

1) I've been asking for this since the first or second patch on the EA: will you allow us to turn off the narrator, like you were thoughtful enough to do in DOS2? Unlike some, I have no problem with reading a line or two on the screen. The game is better for me that way, and the immersion deeper. The narrator's voice is distracting, as she is not a character in the game, and so her voice doesn't fit in anywhere. I see that you've cut her lines back--but then you've added many more lines for her to read, apparently. The point is that I can read the lines much more rapidly than she can enunciate them--so I end up waiting on her to finish reading aloud content I've already absorbed. Surely, I can't be the only one ...;)

+1

Originally Posted by Waltc
5) Every once in a while, during the Showcase, I got the impression that I was watching "The SIMS go to Baldur's Gate"...;) Hopefully, the cartoon sex and the social chit-chat can be bypassed by those of us expecting a melodramatic adventure game. The original Baldur's Gate games were very heavy on melodrama and intrigue.

Yep even
Malus Thorm and his "Horror Cabinet" were ridiculed because they could be talked into killing themselves...
Building up a certain atmosphere (Scream) and then dragging it into ridicule in one fell swoop is not so exhilarating (Scarie Movie)!

Last edited by Lotus Noctus; 09/07/23 07:08 AM.
S
stranger
stranger
S
Hi folks!

Any possible idea of release date for MacOs?

K
stranger
stranger
K
I'm echoing this. I'm expecting Xbox to take a good while, based upon what has been described, but the Early Access for Mac has existed for a good while, and there's no indication of whether the game is weeks or months away.

S
S
Pleeeease don’t make me wait too long for the Mac version!

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard