Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by 1varangian
Being diminished into a low level companion ruins Halsin as a character for me, unfortunately. I won't be able to take him in my party.

Nettie would have made much more sense as a companion as Halsin should be at least level 9 to reflect his status as First Druid and "powerful healer". The world needs powerful NPCs to be complete. Larian are telling us no NPC can be more powerful than your party, ever.

The complete disconnect between game mechanics (levels) and storytelling in BG3 is appalling and unnecessary.

They could draw inspiration from their own titles, I don't know if you've played DOS1, but there were several NPCs there who were god-tier yet appeared in the game early. I mean ZixZax and Arhu, they were both level 20+ and you needed to grind your way through the whole story to take them out. They could demolish you in a single turn therefore cementing their status as 'powerful characters' any day, unless you approached with like 100% resistances or 100 initiative. Unfortunately when it comes to companions, Larian sometimes fell short, just look at Jahan from the same DOS1, who had an 'almighty-immortal-king-demon hunter' backstory yet was level 1... Same story could happen with Halsin, however they could pleasantly surprise us as well.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Vitani
Halsin does seem very straighforward and firm in what he does, I wonder what type of conflict Larian will introduce here. Every good story arc has conflict after all!

True, but Larian was already setting Halsin up for some kind of drama involving Moonrise Towers, way before they announced he would be either romanceable or a companion. Personally I think my characters have enough conflict to deal with already, I'd prefer at least one relationship which is mostly sweet and supportive. There are plenty of drama-laden options already (who I may get to in later playthroughs).

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Tarlonniel
Plus there's the fact that all the other romanceable males are... sketchy... in one way or another. Having a non-sketchy option is great.
A non-sketchy female romance option would be nice too <sigh>.

W
W
Originally Posted by kanisatha
Plus there's the fact that all the other romanceable males are... sketchy... in one way or another. Having a non-sketchy option is great.
Yeah that would be nice.

B
old hand
old hand
B
I don't understand how the word 'sketchy' is being used here. Where I come* from the word implies lacking in detail as in a pencil sketch or "He has a plan but the details seem a little sketchy".

*A world where words derive their meaning from their etymological roots.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Beechams
I don't understand how the word 'sketchy' is being used here. Where I come* from the word implies lacking in detail as in a pencil sketch or "He has a plan but the details seem a little sketchy".

*A world where words derive their meaning from their etymological roots.

In this context it just means questionable. Same synonym can be applied to your 'plan' example.

B
old hand
old hand
B
I got ravished by a Drow cougar ...

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Buba68
I got ravished by a Drow cougar ...
wyllcool

But yeah, male-attracted people sure seem to be eating good this time around. And that was even before including Halsin on that list, now it's a flat out feast I hear laugh

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
But yeah, male-attracted people sure seem to be eating good this time around. And that was even before including Halsin on that list, now it's a flat out feast I hear laugh

Well, both Gale and Wyll have, shall we say, prior commitments. And much as I love Astarion, he's not everyone's (or every player character's) cup of tea. So while we're certainly a long way away from the days when Anomen was the only male LI in BG2, another option is always welcome grin

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by williams85
Yeah that would be nice.

There's still one Origin character to be announced; I'm rooting for folks like you to get such an option as well. Though Karlach might fit that bill - maybe - hard to know at this point.

I was using "sketchy" in senses 4-6 over at Wiktionary. I do draw some distinction between sketchiness in general and sketchiness specifically as a romantic partner, but I think Astarion, Gale and Wyll have all cleverly managed to fall on both sides of that line. wyllcool galehappy astarionhappy

C
addict
addict
C
But yeah, male-attracted people sure seem to be eating good this time around.

🤣! That should go in Steam (or equivalent elsewhere) review!

B
old hand
old hand
B
[quote=Tarlonniel]

I was using "sketchy" in senses 4-6 over at Wiktionary.

That would be 'dodgy'. For example - "he's a bit of a dodgy character" (not to be trusted). "He has a dodgy ticker" is a reference to a heart defect. "Shady" would also work for the first example.

old hand
old hand
Those are very nice synonyms, and they're both in the list of synonyms on that page. I decided to use "sketchy", and when I use a word, it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.[/HumptyDumpty]

To return to the point of this thread - Halsin! Huzzah!

Icelyn Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I was using "sketchy" in senses 4-6 over at Wiktionary.
That would be 'dodgy'. For example - "he's a bit of a dodgy character" (not to be trusted). "He has a dodgy ticker" is a reference to a heart defect. "Shady" would also work for the first example.
Probably just a difference in usage between UK and US.😊 Not sure if people would know what I meant if I said “He has a dodgy ticker.” hahaha

To return to the point of this thread - Halsin! Huzzah!
approvegauntlet

Last edited by Icelyn; 05/07/23 07:51 PM.
old hand
old hand
Now that your victory is won, have you settled on what kind of character you're going to hug the bear with, Icelyn? wink

Icelyn Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Now that your victory is won, have you settled on what kind of character you're going to hug the bear with, Icelyn? wink
An elf or half-elf sorcerer! rpg007 How about you?

old hand
old hand
I threw all my original, pre-Halsin plans out the window and have decided on a Seldarine drow druid. This is going to be so much fun.

B
old hand
old hand
B
and when I use a word, it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.[/HumptyDumpty]

That's not quite how language works. Use of meaningless neologisms and slang makes it more difficult for non-native English speakers. I could use my local slang and idiom and few in North America would know what I was trying to convey. Have you ever eaten a Ruby or a Lilian and a portion of jockey's or had a pint of Tex down the battle-cruiser?

To get somewhat back on topic, I keep wondering why there seems to be quite a bit of druidy stuff thus far - the grove and the shadow druids; Halsin the companion and Jahiera the companion. Wasn't there also a note or at least some sort of reference to the Harpers in EA?

C
addict
addict
C
Wasn't there also a note or at least some sort of reference to the Harpers in EA?

More than the note. They have a tidy stash in Grymforge

B
old hand
old hand
B
Druids, Shadow Druids, Druid Groves, Druidic intrigues and backstabbing, drama e.g. "will Halsin Senpai finally notice Icelyn Chan?" etc. are a staple of the Baldur's Gate setting.

Last edited by Buba68; 05/07/23 08:46 PM.
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard