Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 18 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 17 18
G
OP Offline
G
Superbly crafted scenes, I will give them that. I will stick to my choices though and not sully my conscience.

Jahiera looked awesome, far better than she was in BG1 and 2. It would make sense that she grew as a person. She is like a whole new character, I look forward to her.

veteran
veteran
So… at Karlach date scene. Are they taking a piss? Lizard man’s horns covering shots, characters in their underwear, weird half orc waiter.

Edit. ….and I reach the Halsin bit.

Last edited by Wormerine; 07/07/23 06:32 PM.
veteran
veteran
IDK, I guess they're going for silliness for the romances, or at least that's what they showed. I don't think Larian can do 'normal' lol. There's certainly no way that Halsin scene was meant to titillate, it was a joke through and through.

Last edited by Boblawblah; 07/07/23 06:36 PM.
G
addict
addict
G
It's also very worrying they didn't have a stable version to present for PFH, despite being less than 30 days from launch. But not surprising.

No way in hell I touch this game until months after release. The bugs and broken stuff is gonna be a nightmare for people.

G
addict
addict
G
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
IDK, I guess they're going for silliness for the romances, or at least that's what they showed. I don't think Larian can do 'normal' lol. There's certainly no way that Halsin scene was meant to titillate, it was a joke through and through.

They can never do normal or stay within boundaries. They always ruin the brevity of the situation with stuff like that.

It's like they sit around and think of the most extra and cartoonish things possible to put in the game.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Wormerine
Originally Posted by neprostoman
Is he commenting? I kinda can't stand the guy...
Edit: I see, he doesn'! Thanks!
I am pretty sure he would be there in the audience. It seems to be just bunch of influencers.

I think you can actually see him in some shots of the audience, in the second row.

journeyman
journeyman
That's a great idea to give some time to start before the official date, for collector edition

but I'm a bit confused how it will work : will it clean my profiles except the recent ones ? Will the first chapter be modified by a Steam update ? I won't have access to the revamped menu and the additionnal faces, hair, piercings, body shapes etc.

I cannot even express how disappointed I am with this PFH. I feel robbed of my time.

• Lots of focus on romance and cosmetics. The character creator looks beautiful, but is this really what people care about most?
  • Absolutely zero focus on mechanics aside from a brief talk about difficulty settings and the monk class which told us nothing that wasn't already in the gazette.
  • Stealth is apparently still broken. No word on spells and spellcasting mechanics, shove, dodge, ability score rolling, multiclassing or any other thing that's been either absent or broken since EA launch. I don't know what I expected, but not this little.
  • The new 'origin story' is yet another edgy pandering to murderhobos and psychopaths. How did this win over a halfling bard with a soothing voice? We had plenty morally ambiguous or outright evil companions already.
  • I'd like to think I'm fairly open-minded about controversial things in videogames, let people enjoy what they enjoy. But a crowd cheering over sex with a bear is too much. Entirely too much. What the f*ck is wrong with you Larian?

Right now I feel like after a long corporate presentation about how everything is great but nothing of substance was said. Worse than that, no amount of absinthe is going to let me take Halsin seriously ever again and I feel horrible second-hand embarrassment for anyone involved in the making of that scene.

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
I might be mistaken but I understood that multiclassing may not be rolled out with the game release and that they are still testing it.

Multiclassing was confirmed on the Playstation blog, and Swen mentioned it in the PFH when they take about being able to respec.

B
old hand
old hand
B
Originally Posted by neprostoman
Is he commenting? I kinda can't stand the guy...
Edit: I see, he doesn'! Thanks!

He's in the audience at the PFH. Far left as you look at the crowd and about half-way back .

-------------

Speaking of the audience, that Josh who asked the second question: talk about 'the ego has landed'. Absolutely full of himself then brown-noses Swen with a 'softball' question (forgive my Americanism).

Something I wondered was what do you get to know about Shadowheart's mystery object if you play as her.

Wasn't really impressed or interested in this Dark Urge thing. Smacks of Larian gimmick.

We didn't really learn anything about the tadpole or the Illithid plan.

I would liked to have learned or seen a bit more of some more of the other areas. Moonrise Towers didn't look much different from the Goblin Camp/Shattered Sanctum.

The combat section was a fiasco but it did show a UI change.

The body phenotype additions was a bit underwhelming - normal or slightly heavier. The 'age' slider was even less inspiring.

Is it me or do the mouths not move much when speaking? Karlach especially looked like a ventriloquist.

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted by Llengrath
I cannot even express how disappointed I am with this PFH. I feel robbed of my time.

• Lots of focus on romance and cosmetics. The character creator looks beautiful, but is this really what people care about most?
  • Absolutely zero focus on mechanics aside from a brief talk about difficulty settings and the monk class which told us nothing that wasn't already in the gazette.
  • Stealth is apparently still broken. No word on spells and spellcasting mechanics, shove, dodge, ability score rolling, multiclassing or any other thing that's been either absent or broken since EA launch. I don't know what I expected, but not this little.
  • The new 'origin story' is yet another edgy pandering to murderhobos and psychopaths. How did this win over a halfling bard with a soothing voice? We had plenty morally ambiguous or outright evil companions already.
  • I'd like to think I'm fairly open-minded about controversial things in videogames, let people enjoy what they enjoy. But a crowd cheering over sex with a bear is too much. Entirely too much. What the f*ck is wrong with you Larian?

Right now I feel like after a long corporate presentation about how everything is great but nothing of substance was said. Worse than that, no amount of absinthe is going to let me take Halsin seriously ever again and I feel horrible second-hand embarrassment for anyone involved in the making of that scene.

While I am excited for the game and have faith in Larian given that I loved DOS2...

I also agree with pretty much all of the above.

G
OP Offline
G
Other than Karlach's dating choices, she shows a better side of herself in the voice acting.

It's never good writing to be dropping F-bombs, it's such lazy writing and unimaginative. I had the same issue with the Duergar Dwarves and they just lacked any distinct culture (other than being completely vulgar).

In DDO (Dungeons and Dragons online) The evil Drow are attacking the surface and you get the opportunity to infiltrate one of their cities in disguise. They may be evil, but they do not lack for culture and self respect.

C
addict
addict
C
Originally Posted by gaymer
They can never do normal or stay within boundaries. They always ruin the brevity of the situation with stuff like that.

It's like they sit around and think of the most extra and cartoonish things possible to put in the game.

I think I've said this in other threads, I don't mind the silliness a bit; it makes it feel like how TT D&D always goes, at least with the folks I've played with. It's not constant, over the top stuff, it's not like an Asterix comic where it's 100% silliness. It's moments of ridiculousness to break up the darker stuff, of which there's clearly a lot. It gives texture, and at least for me, it's very welcome, especially in a game this large and long.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by colinl8

I think I've said this in other threads, I don't mind the silliness a bit; it makes it feel like how TT D&D always goes, at least with the folks I've played with. It's not constant, over the top stuff, it's not like an Asterix comic where it's 100% silliness. It's moments of ridiculousness to break up the darker stuff, of which there's clearly a lot. It gives texture, and at least for me, it's very welcome, especially in a game this large and long.

One thing to remember as well, when you're actually playing it, it's not nearly as silly as when Sven is there trying to ham everything up. If you're having a scene with Halsin, you don't have to get him to turn into a bear, that is just a silly option Larian (read Sven) wanted to put in. In my playthroughs, I haven't had any forced silliness moments (that I can recall at least right now)

B
old hand
old hand
B
Originally Posted by Grizzmyt
Jahiera looked awesome, far better than she was in BG1 and 2. It would make sense that she grew as a person. She is like a whole new character, I look forward to her.
That's because she is a whole new character.

veteran
veteran

I'm mourning Helia, the halfling bard with you. I'm still excited for the game, but I could do with less juvenile edgyness tbh.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
old hand
old hand
If I go full custom party from the get go, I can ignore hirelings, right? So hirelings don't increase your party size? They are just gap fillers if you want to have a certain class that is not covered by the companions? Or which function do hirelings have if you already have a custom party of four?

W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by colinl8

100% agree. This feels so much like table top gaming, so I couldn’t be more pleased.

W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by Lotus Noctus
If I go full custom party from the get go, I can ignore hirelings, right? So hirelings don't increase your party size? They are just gap fillers if you want to have a certain class that is not covered by the companions? Or which function do hirelings have if you already have a custom party of four?

It would seem like there is no point to hirelings if you are playing a full custom party. They are just a different option of how to play the game.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Beechams
Speaking of the audience, that Josh who asked the second question: talk about 'the ego has landed'. Absolutely full of himself then brown-noses Swen with a 'softball' question (forgive my Americanism).
Eh, I really like Josh’s content. He has this very posh, high brow way of speaking.

Yeah, I will need to see if they did ANYTHING with it.

Page 7 of 18 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 17 18

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard