Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12
Xzoviac Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Larian said they would possibly/will add (cant remember if it was possible or definitely) rolling for stats instead of just point buy, has this been confirmed in the pfh yet?

Unfortunately i cant watch it till im home from work

veteran
veteran
Despite it was question asked a lot ...
No, it was not even mentioned. frown

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 07/07/23 06:00 PM.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
Xzoviac Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Despite it was question asked a lot ...
No, it was not even mentioned. frown

Really sucks 😕

Hope they have not forgotten about it

I saw a lv1 dwarf with 17 int at the start of the stream, so who knows. Maybe it was achieved through rolling?

... because it's fun!
enthusiast
enthusiast
unless they somehow got the warped headband of intelect

C
C
If you look at the start of the panel when they went through classes with a high elf, it's normal +2 dex/+1 Int got swapped to the relevant stat requirements for each different class ie 17 str for barb, 17 wis for cleric.
They didn't show the abilities page and you still might be able to re-roll, but even this level of flexibility means you can roll an optimised character of any race and any class. I really like it. It gives you so much freedom to play the class and race combination you really want without feeling you're gimping yourself.
edit they did this with a few races too, your stats automatically move to the recommended stats of the class. Super cool

Last edited by crashdaddy; 07/07/23 06:35 PM.
veteran
veteran
How when you talk about it ...
As Alison (i think) was changing all races, and they all were Barbarian ... one couldnt miss the fact that their stats didnt move even a bit ... it was 17 - 13 - 15 - 8 - 12 - 10 ... for everyone!

That dont feel like flexibility to me ... that feels like racial stat bonuses were just removed. O_o

Maybe they are going for Tasha rules, but there's another thread about that

... because it's fun!
veteran
veteran
Even if they would go for Tasha rules, stats would change ...
Tasha (as far as i know) allows you to alocate your Racial Bonuses (that sill exists) to any Ability Score you want.

Dwarves have twice +2 ... so that Barbarian would have 17 - 13 - 16 - 8 - 12 - 10
Elves have +2 and +1 ... so that Barbarian would have 17 - 13 - 15 - 8 - 12 - 10
Humans have +1 to everything ... so that Barbarian would have 16 - 14 - 15 - 9 - 13 - 11

But that was not the case here!
They all had 17 - 13 - 15 - 8 - 12 - 10 ...

C
C
How when you talk about it ...
As Alison (i think) was changing all races, and they all were Barbarian ... one couldnt miss the fact that their stats didnt move even a bit ... it was 17 - 13 - 15 - 8 - 12 - 10 ... for everyone!

That dont feel like flexibility to me ... that feels like racial stat bonuses were just removed. O_o

You can't get 17 without a stat bonus, 15 is max in 5e, so they're definitely there, but now flexible (a +2 and a +1). And the abilities page is still there so you can change them I imagine, eg if you want to play a dex fighter or str ranger. It is absolutely more flexible than having to pick certain races for certain classes, that's for sure.
I have a feeling that the abilities page will have different options because the human example had a +2 and +1 instead of the usual +1 to everything. That suggests different options, otherwise it would be pretty pointless to play a human when you can get the same stats with a race that gives additional benefits

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by crashdaddy
You can't get 17 without a stat bonus, 15 is max in 5e
Well, im no 5e expert like Niara ...
But even i know this is not true.

Since it depends on wich stat determining method are you using.

When you roll > you can get 17 quite easily, even more of them if you are lucky.
When you use Point Buy, or Standard Array > then you are corect.

And since the topic is about roll ... well ... i hope you get where am i aiming. smile

so they're definitely there, but now flexible (a +2 and a +1)
If everyone got "flexible +2 and +1" ...
Its even worse bullshit than Tasha was, and that itself set the bar pretty high. laugh

otherwise it would be pretty pointless to play a human when you can get the same stats with a race that gives additional benefits
That was my point.

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 07/07/23 07:38 PM.

B
old hand
old hand
B
This is another example of Larian being Larian. Ability stats are fundamental to your character and getting them right at CC sets you on the right path for the entire game. Instead Larian shows us freckles and horn colours.

C
C

When you roll > you can get 17 quite easily, even more of them if you are lucky.

And since the topic is about roll ... well ... i hope you get where am i aiming. smile

Its even worse bullshit than Tasha was, and that itself set the bar pretty high. laugh

otherwise it would be pretty pointless to play a human when you can get the same stats with a race that gives additional benefits
That was my point.

CLEARLY these stats haven't been rolled, they're point buy, which is the only confirmed method of stats we have confirmed so far. Like I said, there may be options on the abilities page, but we weren't talking about rolling we were talking about the obvious point buy stats on the examples they showed. At least I was in my post which you replied to. And in case you're too lazy to scroll up, I only replied to you because you said it looked like stat bonuses were removed, remember? They clearly haven't been, so I really don't see why you felt it necessary to reply. I merely said there was a 'floating' +2/+1, which I think is great. You don't. Good for you. No need to waste your time on keeping a non-argument going. I know about rolling for stats, but we don't even know that's an option here so until we do, it's entirely irrelevant. But for the sake of pedantry, 'using the method we currently have in the game', it is not possible to get higher than 15 without stat bonuses. Happy?

I'm pretty sure that the Tasha's rules are by and large welcomed by most and are in fact the way it looks like the new rules for point buy character creation is going forward in the new edition. Sucks that you don't like that, but there you go.

veteran
veteran
Removed ... or replaced by some random bullshit drawn from nowhere.
I dont see difference.

veteran
veteran
I dont see difference.

Well, I think @Aurora (sorry if mistaken) said on the forum that DnD One are going for this little pussycat (imo) kind of character creation where everyone wants to like play like fuuun and like fun equals attribute free world and like these attributes don't represent anything and like other stuff like for them to have fun, like, you know? I guess let them have it and stuff, I'll create my race as a canonical one and still have fun because I liked the old rules better, hehe

Maybe Wizards like called Larian and said like, yo man Swen Vinke (spelled right?/) it is 21th century now everyone want to have fun man remove the attributes!! And he was like okaaaay

Last edited by neprostoman; 07/07/23 08:59 PM.
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
I'm pretty sure that the Tasha's rules are by and large welcomed by most and are in fact the way it looks like the new rules for point buy character creation is going forward in the new edition. Sucks that you don't like that, but there you go.
What makes you so sure, a lot of people that I know who plays dnd hates the rules introduced with TCoE.

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
I'm fairly sure they just used static ability scores for that visual. As Ragnarok said none of the scores changes as they were going through several different races and only shifted placement when the classes were changed.

W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by neprostoman
I dont see difference.

Well, I think @Aurora (sorry if mistaken) said on the forum that DnD One are going for this little pussycat (imo) kind of character creation where everyone wants to like play like fuuun and like fun equals attribute free world and like these attributes don't represent anything and like other stuff like for them to have fun, like, you know? I guess let them have it and stuff, I'll create my race as a canonical one and still have fun because I liked the old rules better, hehe

Maybe Wizards like called Larian and said like, yo man Swen Vinke (spelled right?/) it is 21th century now everyone want to have fun man remove the attributes!! And he was like okaaaay

That is not how D&D One works at all. They just made it so attributes are tied to your background instead of race so if you like non-traditional race-class pairings then you aren’t being penalized for it. There are still attributes, and they still matter just as much. This is a much better system.

And I’m not sure why you were playing D&D, but having fun was always the point of the game.

Last edited by Warlocke; 07/07/23 09:25 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Warlocke
Originally Posted by neprostoman
I dont see difference.

That is not how D&D One works at all. They just made it so attributes are tied to your background instead of race so if you like non-traditional race-class pairings then you aren’t being penalized for it. There are still attributes, and they still matter just as much. This is a much better system.

And I’m not sure why you were playing D&D, but having fun was always the point of the game.

Hello, I could've made a wrong assertion or just forgot something... apologies! I've been playing DnD for fun tooo.. just different idea of fun, I don't know if my message conveyed it properly, but the thought was letting everyone have their fun at last. I am kinda bored by the whole conservative/modern player rivalry and can give up on their terms (the last ones') laugh

W
W

That was my point.

CLEARLY these stats haven't been rolled, they're point buy, which is the only confirmed method of stats we have confirmed so far. Like I said, there may be options on the abilities page, but we weren't talking about rolling we were talking about the obvious point buy stats on the examples they showed. At least I was in my post which you replied to. And in case you're too lazy to scroll up, I only replied to you because you said it looked like stat bonuses were removed, remember? They clearly haven't been, so I really don't see why you felt it necessary to reply. I merely said there was a 'floating' +2/+1, which I think is great. You don't. Good for you. No need to waste your time on keeping a non-argument going. I know about rolling for stats, but we don't even know that's an option here so until we do, it's entirely irrelevant. But for the sake of pedantry, 'using the method we currently have in the game', it is not possible to get higher than 15 without stat bonuses. Happy?

Most people i know, including me are against a lot of the dumbing down of rules that tasha's has brought forth, so don't assume that you speak for everybody.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard