Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 18 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 17 18
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
Can you play Dark Urge and push it towards a more "good" playthrough? Can such a creature be redeemed?
But why would I do this? To play this way would be to have a generally miserable playing experience for potentially hundreds of hours. Even if I fully "resist" the Dark Urge's dark urges, that does not in any way change the fact that I remain, inside me, the Dark Urge: an evil person. All I would've done is (temporarily) suppress my harmful behavior. But I would not have changed who I fundamentally am as a person, which is an evil person.

Originally Posted by Boblawblah
After seeing the Dark Urge, and Larian's mentioning of redemption, I had a similar thought. I think if you can get past the initial snarkiness of the companions, there could be a lot of potential for a variety of playthroughs. I'm personally going to try Dark Urge, simply because it adds more dialogue compared to default Tav (as far as I know at least), hopefully it'll make for a more complete custom character and have a connection to BG 1 and 2.
Well, for me, of all Larian's "origin" skins, Dark Urge is the one I can guarantee I will never even consider trying. And I am one of those people here who has been very vocal about how rotten it is that our custom PC is not as central to the game as the origin characters. So I'm super angry that Larian's response to this criticism is to say to me: okay, if you want to play a custom PC as central to the game as our origin characters, we'll make that possible. But here's the catch. You can only do it playing an evil psycho.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Just want to mention the conceptual pun was that in the romance Halsin was a bear who turned into a bear.

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
C
addict
addict
C
Originally Posted by Warlocke
Not gonna lie, when you put it like that, characters having swallowed netherese nukes, having infernal machines implanted or being involved in some secret evil god mischief sounds so much cooler than just reglar Paladins, bards, and Mages. 😂

This guy gets it!

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Beechams
There was nothing unclear about your post and nothing wrong with your English. FWIW I agree with Warlocke about making your own thread.
Thank you, Beechams!
I'm currently watching the panel (they've just started talking about the Dark Urge) and the lead writer just said a (for me) very important sentence - that every character, not only the Dark Urge, can become the hero or the villain of the story.
This is something I had assumed, and I am very happy that this seems to have been confirmed.

Of course, I haven't watched the whole panel yet, so I won't write a real feedback until I've got the whole picture.

C
addict
addict
C
Originally Posted by kanisatha
Even if I fully "resist" the Dark Urge's dark urges, that does not in any way change the fact that I remain, inside me, the Dark Urge: an evil person. All I would've done is (temporarily) suppress my harmful behavior. But I would not have changed who I fundamentally am as a person, which is an evil person.

I couldn't disagree more. You aren't good or evil because of what you think, you are good or evil because of how you act. Therapy 101: we don't have control over our thoughts/emotions, the only thing we control is how we act on them

I think playing a goodie‐goodie who deeply struggles to be good could be extremely satisfying

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Relampago
Well, this PFH finally made it explicit for me that the core theme of this game is: evil is cool; good is boring. And that is the exact opposite of the original BG games. Dark Urge is the final awful piece of the game. What a disgusting psychopath monster! That Swen and co. would see Dark Urge as some cool, awesome, interesting, fun character to play says a lot.

It's a huge blow that there is no truly good party to play with, a first for a D&D-style party-based RPG.

For Act 1, Karlach, Gale, Halsin, and now it seems like Wyll (it seems you can now fork him to Good Folk Hero or Evil Machine of Devil Vengeance). For later you also have Jaheria and Minsc. 4 char party 6 potentially good companions. I didn't include Shadowheart because you still get some negative reaction modifiers from her for doing some good things like helping the refugees.

On the clearly Evil side you have Laezel, Minratha, Shadowheart (even if she is flippable to good her default reaction modifiers tend to an evil playthrough you have to thread the line otherwise). Wyll in this category is up for grabs, for now his default rection modifiers tend to support you doing good things but that may have been reworked given the information they told is in this PfH.

So yes there is a truly good party to play with. As for Karlach she came off as pretty sweet in the PfH, yes she lived in Avernus because she was enslaved but she was killing demons for the devils. Its not like her background was murdering people for devils. She seems a pretty stereotypically sweet good char personality like Halsin, and Minsc.

For me i am going to engage this as if i was eyes wide open my traditional good playthroughs. I will recruit them all, but once i in game learn Asatarion is a vampire spawn i will sideline him and give him to the monster hunter at that point in the story, and i wont put up with Laezel for long, i will try to show her the wrong of her ways but replace her for Karlch pretty soon after Karlach becomes recruitable. I will however persist and try to flip Shadowheart to Selune if that is possible in game. I wont be bored with that good playthrough and i will be amped when i can work together with Jaheria and Minsc and the Harpers.
You are conveniently lumping in neutral with the good side but not the evil side. Neutral is exactly that, and very much NOT good. Gale and Wyll are definitely not good, and the PFH confirmed that Jaheira is neutral. So, only Karlach, Halsin, and Minsc are truly good companions.

And on "redeeming" companions, I won't play along with Larian's silly cliche of "redeeming" a Sharran priestess and turning her good. I don't at all see that as the job of my good PC. In my game, the companions will stay who they were when I first met them, evil or good.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by colinl8
Even if I fully "resist" the Dark Urge's dark urges, that does not in any way change the fact that I remain, inside me, the Dark Urge: an evil person. All I would've done is (temporarily) suppress my harmful behavior. But I would not have changed who I fundamentally am as a person, which is an evil person.

I couldn't disagree more. You aren't good or evil because of what you think, you are good or evil because of how you act. Therapy 101: we don't have control over our thoughts/emotions, the only thing we control is how we act on them

I think playing a goodie‐goodie who deeply struggles to be good could be extremely satisfying
No, I am speaking precisely of the Dark Urge's actions ... in the past, from before they were tadpoled. Those are not merely evil thoughts inside their head. They clearly did evil things, and relished doing them.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z

No, I am speaking precisely of the Dark Urge's actions ... in the past, from before they were tadpoled. Those are not merely evil thoughts inside their head. They clearly did evil things, and relished doing them.
What can change the nature of a man?

enthusiast
enthusiast
This isnt easy, couse as far as i know that Sharran Priestess might have or once been something else, so... as a good person if we think a person that once was someting and led astray, shouldent we try lead them back to the light ?... or shall we just give up on them, couse they have fallen, no redemption for the wicked ?

W
veteran
veteran
W
In my game, the companions will stay who they were when I first met them, evil or good.

That’s your choice. I like the idea that my Dark Urge is going to gong to be the Forgotten Realms Ted Lasso and bring out the best in everyone, no matter what they’ve done or who they were.

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Also - does anyone else find it odd that Karlach isn't included in any of the promotional material on the banners and stuff?

I notice they added her to the main website. But I don't really see her anywhere else.

W
veteran
veteran
W

The teaser and new trailer makes it clear they were being mind controlled by Bhaal cultists. How they feel about that after the fact is the player’s choice.

C
addict
addict
C

I'm not sure that's necessarily true. In what they showed, in the scene with Gale, I thought the narration was something like "ever since you woke up on the ship..."

I think this is meant as a new experience for the character

B
old hand
old hand
B
Just done a search for 'Halsin bear sex' and the hits just keep comin'

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z

"Hey buddy have you played Baldur's Gate 3?"
"Isn't that the bestiality simulator? Wtf why would I play that?"

[Linked Image from i.kym-cdn.com]
"Oh, that's full-on animal fucking"

Last edited by Zerubbabel; 07/07/23 10:34 PM.

C
addict
addict
C
Originally Posted by Zerubbabel

"Hey buddy have you played Baldur's Gate 3?"
"Isn't that the bestiality simulator? Wtf why would I play that?"
"Didn't they say it had like 200 hours of cinematics? WTF, dude?"

veteran
veteran
Riiiight. All the companions were goody-goodies, and those nasty cultists and mind-flayers came along and made them do bad things. Pleeease.

Heck, even if this were to end up being the case, that itself would be the biggest cliche ever in gaming history.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
To add, I'm also really excited about patron interactions.

L
stranger
stranger
L
I'm pretty sure that the Dark Urge is a Bhaal Spawn. Especially after seeing what it seems very much like the Slayer form at 0:57 of the Release Teaser:

Last edited by lilmonster; 07/07/23 10:48 PM.
Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by lilmonster
I'm pretty sure that the Dark Urge is a Bhaal Spawn. Especially after seeing what it seems very much like the Slayer form at 0:57 of the Release Teaser:

Slayer form was datamined YEARS ago.

I hope we get an Illithid-like Slayer form if we get regular slayer and tadpole together.

Last edited by Zerubbabel; 07/07/23 10:50 PM.

Page 12 of 18 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 17 18

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard